Overtime

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Re: Overtime

Postby IndyRevoly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm

AaronS wrote:I don't see how sudden death is any different than baseball. If your team goes down 1-2-3 in a tied game in the top of the 9th and your opponent scores in the bottom half, the game ends.

But your opponent wins when they score in the bottom half of the inning because you already had your shot on offense in the top half of the inning, so further play is moot once they've scored more runs than you; no matter what happens the rest of the bottom of the ninth, they're winning. This example is nothing like the relevant examples of NFL overtimes where the team winning the toss scores a touchdown (or, before the rule changes, a field goal, gods help us) and wins without the other team's offense ever stepping on the field. This baseball metaphor entirely endorses an overtime system in football of equal possessions.

AaronS wrote:The new OT marginalizes the 3 components to a game. If your offense, defense or special teams break down, its tough to win. All the new OT rules do is cover for bad defense. The Saints and Packers can't stop anyone, but they get the ball anyway??? I just find it stupid. Team flaws shouldn't be rewarded.

And the people that argued that the coin toss decided the winner... No! Your team defense decided the winner. Make a stop. Its not a new concept.

Just because it isn't a new concept doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good concept, or that it doesn't heavily reward blind luck. If both teams in a game have dominant offenses that neither's defense can stop, then one of two teams with great offenses is going to get screwed because they had the dumb luck of their defense going on the field first. The other team, in the same position, would be equally as screwed. Therefore, the outcome was dependent on the coin flip. As to the three components to a game portion of what you said, I don't see how it can be argued that "make a stop or lose" isn't a blatantly asymmetrical emphasis in overtime on defense over offense and special teams.

Football is a game of elaborate strategy that I don't think luck should have any significant place in. I'd even favor giving the visitor the election to kick/receive/defend at the start of the game instead of having a coin toss, but then I guess they'd still need a coin flip to start the biggest game of them all.
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

Re: Overtime

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “NFL Football”