Overtime

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Overtime

Postby 1312qohelet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Overtime is now a 10 minute period - regular season....for the playoffs, it's still 15.
Good thing?
Bad idea?
Doesn't really matter?

Overtime

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Overtime

Postby AaronS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Sudden death overtime never should have been changed.

First score wins. Neither team scores, game ends in a tie. In the Playoffs, play until someone scores.

.. if they're gonna babble on about safety as the reason, they shouldn't have OT at all.

Have a shootout of some kind. Either 2pt conversions, or FGs - 40, 45, 50, ect.

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:25 am

Ten minutes, fifteen minutes, I don't care, just play an entire period of regular damn football and let that settle it; if both teams score fourteen in overtime, then it's a tie. So be it. If they keep adding nuances to the current overtime rules they'll wind up with something even more asinine than college overtime. Re: college, if the point of your overtime system is supposed to be to prevent players from playing a whole lot more and the overtime system you come up with regularly causes players to play a whole lot more, you're doing it wrong.

Still better than sudden death, though. Sudden death only makes sense to me for sports where the initial possession is evenly contested (jump balls in basketball (although sudden death in basketball would obviously be goofy), face-offs in hockey, scrambles in the XFL ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ), that sort of thing).

Edit: Soccer, while awarding possession to a specific team, ironically seems to rarely use sudden death even though the length of the field makes the first possession in extra time basically a non-advantage (probably comparable to something like the advantage white has in chess by going first).
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:29 pm

IndyRevoly wrote:Still better than sudden death, though. Sudden death only makes sense to me for sports where the initial possession is evenly contested (jump balls in basketball (although sudden death in basketball would obviously be goofy), face-offs in hockey, scrambles in the XFL ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ), that sort of thing).

What was uneven about sudden death?

Can't make a stop, you lose. As it should be.

What was so egregious about that??!!

They've done nothing but slant the field TOWARD Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Their teams can't stop anybody, but somehow they get rewarded? DUMB and unfair.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 pm

This probably means more ties.

15 minutes is better, that's all I have to say.

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:16 pm

AaronS wrote:What was uneven about sudden death?

You say "as it should be." Where else in football is the ultimate objective preventing a single score rather than compiling the most points in a set time?

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm

IndyRevoly wrote:You say "as it should be." Where else in football is the ultimate objective preventing a single score rather than compiling the most points in a set time?

The ultimate objective was clear.

Sudden death: first team to score wins.

The new rules do nothing but reward poor defense.

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:38 pm

AaronS wrote:
IndyRevoly wrote:You say "as it should be." Where else in football is the ultimate objective preventing a single score rather than compiling the most points in a set time?

The ultimate objective was clear.

Sudden death: first team to score wins.

The new rules do nothing but reward poor defense.

I'm not saying the objective of sudden death overtime is unclear, I'm saying, what other place in football, save for when there's but a few seconds left on the clock, is there a situation where you lose instantly if the opponent scores? To me, it's not representative of what football's about. Sudden death minimizes the back-and-forth nature of the game, the field position battles, the time management. And worst of all, I think that it isn't very fun, just like now how I still think it isn't much fun if the opening kickoff in overtime is returned for a touchdown (or a touchdown thrown on the first play from scrimmage in overtime) and that's it; it just doesn't seem like a fair chance is given to both teams. If you have two good offenses who are both accompanied by porous defenses, a coin toss is very often going to be deciding the winner.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:29 am

AaronS wrote:
IndyRevoly wrote:Still better than sudden death, though. Sudden death only makes sense to me for sports where the initial possession is evenly contested (jump balls in basketball (although sudden death in basketball would obviously be goofy), face-offs in hockey, scrambles in the XFL ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ), that sort of thing).

What was uneven about sudden death?

They've done nothing but slant the field TOWARD Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Their teams can't stop anybody, but somehow they get rewarded? DUMB and unfair.

Sudden death will always be the choice, for me.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

IndyRevoly wrote:I'm not saying the objective of sudden death overtime is unclear, I'm saying, what other place in football, save for when there's but a few seconds left on the clock, is there a situation where you lose instantly if the opponent scores? To me, it's not representative of what football's about. Sudden death minimizes the back-and-forth nature of the game, the field position battles, the time management. And worst of all, I think that it isn't very fun, just like now how I still think it isn't much fun if the opening kickoff in overtime is returned for a touchdown (or a touchdown thrown on the first play from scrimmage in overtime) and that's it; it just doesn't seem like a fair chance is given to both teams. If you have two good offenses who are both accompanied by porous defenses, a coin toss is very often going to be deciding the winner.

I don't see how sudden death is any different than baseball. If your team goes down 1-2-3 in a tied game in the top of the 9th and your opponent scores in the bottom half, the game ends.

The new OT marginalizes the 3 components to a game. If your offense, defense or special teams break down, its tough to win. All the new OT rules do is cover for bad defense. The Saints and Packers can't stop anyone, but they get the ball anyway??? I just find it stupid. Team flaws shouldn't be rewarded.

And the people that argued that the coin toss decided the winner... No! Your team defense decided the winner. Make a stop. Its not a new concept.

.. anyway, just my opinion. I'm passionate about this one. I think this was a MAJOR step in the wrong direction.

Return to “NFL Football”