Further Overtime Stupidity

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm

NFL likely to shorten overtime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/17/report-owners-are-expected-to-reduce-overtime-to-10-minutes/

The stupid 2 possession thing was bad enough. Just scrap OT altogether. I'm fine with ties.

Or have a shootout of some kind, as PFT suggested. 2-pt conversions.. or FGs.. 40 yarders.. 50 yarders.. Could your kicker hit from 60?...

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Further Overtime Stupidity

Postby RevanFan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm

AaronS wrote:NFL likely to shorten overtime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/17/report-owners-are-expected-to-reduce-overtime-to-10-minutes/

The stupid 2 possession thing was bad enough. Just scrap OT altogether. I'm fine with ties.

Or have a shootout of some kind, as PFT suggested. 2-pt conversions.. or FGs.. 40 yarders.. 50 yarders.. Could your kicker hit from 60?...

The reason a lot of people hate this new rule is because it might INCREASE the number of ties. You and other NFL fans all hate this rule, but you hate it for the opposite reasons as most other people. I find that curious.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I actually like the rules as they are now. The game isn't overwhelmingly decided by who wins the coin toss, which was my biggest complaint about the last overtime rules.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I actually think they should do something like this.

Give both teams a chance to have the ball, regardless if a touchdown, field goal, or nothing is scored. If there's a safety, the game would end as it does currently. If team 1 scores a touchdown, team 2 still gets the ball. If they tie the game with their own touchdown, play continues in sudden death. If team 2 can't score a touchdown, team 1 wins. It's basically the same as it is now, only giving each team a chance whether a field goal OR touchdown is scored.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

AaronS wrote:NFL likely to shorten overtime.

Why the hell would they do that? :x

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed May 17, 2017 6:54 pm

RevanFan wrote:The reason a lot of people hate this new rule is because it might INCREASE the number of ties. You and other NFL fans all hate this rule, but you hate it for the opposite reasons as most other people. I find that curious.

I was perfectly fine with sudden death.

Can't play defense, you lose. Too bad. Make a stop! Win the game.

Since they ruined that, then ties are just fine with me. Scrap OT altogether.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 pm

RevanFan wrote:I actually think they should do something like this.

Give both teams a chance to have the ball, regardless if a touchdown, field goal, or nothing is scored. If there's a safety, the game would end as it does currently. If team 1 scores a touchdown, team 2 still gets the ball. If they tie the game with their own touchdown, play continues in sudden death. If team 2 can't score a touchdown, team 1 wins. It's basically the same as it is now, only giving each team a chance whether a field goal OR touchdown is scored.

I wish they just switched off possessions. Like college, just full field.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

pantherofbrazil
Pro Bowl

Postby pantherofbrazil » Wed May 17, 2017 9:40 pm

AaronS wrote:Or have a shootout of some kind, as PFT suggested. 2-pt conversions.. or FGs.. 40 yarders.. 50 yarders.. Could your kicker hit from 60?...

I would like that "Field Goal Shootout", it will increase the importance of the kickers, from 40 yd at least...

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 pm

I want sudden death. The way its meant to be. Each team has an equal opportunity to win the game in regulation. One 15 minute period....first to score wins.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I like the college style the best except put the ball on the 35 yard line to start each possession and both teams must go for the TD after the first OT. If still tied after two OT's, then both teams must go for the TD and two point conversion.

Return to “NFL Football”