Chargers headed for Los Angeles...

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:53 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/goodell-the-chargers-worked-tirelessly-on-new-san-diego-stadium-tried-to-stay/

Plenty of rhetoric on the web about this.

Just doesn't make much sense to me. I understand that California is in a dire financial straits, but this is a community that should have football. There simply isn't a better city to visit than San Diego.

Such a shame!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gridiron
MVP

Re: Chargers headed for Los Angeles...

Postby Gridiron » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:18 pm

AaronS wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/goodell-the-chargers-worked-tirelessly-on-new-san-diego-stadium-tried-to-stay/

Just doesn't make much sense to me. I understand that California is in a dire financial straits, but this is a community that should have football. There simply isn't a better city to visit than San Diego.

Such a shame!

The shame is that they are staying in unhealthy California, instead of getting out while the getting is good.
It's almost as big a shame as the Rams going there.

That new stadium is likely quite the draw, and the stadium will have the chance of being used most weeks during the season instead of only every other week.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Gridiron wrote:
AaronS wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/goodell-the-chargers-worked-tirelessly-on-new-san-diego-stadium-tried-to-stay/

Such a shame!

The shame is that they are staying in unhealthy California, instead of getting out while the getting is good.

That new stadium is likely quite the draw, and the stadium will have the chance of being used most weeks during the season instead of only every other week.

Until they get to that point, though, they'll be in a Stadium that can only hold about 30,000, and they'll have a ton of REALLY pissed off fans.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Those are going to have to be some expensive NFL season tickets.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Gridiron wrote:The shame is that they are staying in unhealthy California, instead of getting out while the getting is good.

St. Louis V L.A. - NO contest which is the better situation.

Being the 2nd team in L.A. V San Diego... also not a contest.. Kronke owns the stadium.. You've alienated your fanbase, so they're not coming with you.. And you're PAYING to move there!! Why not skip the move-in fee and build your own building?.. get the NFL to front the rest of the money for the stadium if the $600mil won't cover it.

Abandoning the San Diego market is worse than the Raiders moving to Vegas. The Chargers don't have to compete with anybody, unlike the (Oakland) Raiders, and the NFL would fall all over themselves to host Super Bowls in a Stadium that Dean Spanos could build and control.

Hopefully the NFL forces Spanos to sell the team. This seems to have disaster written all over it. Like the Raiders, this is a move eyeing the next 5-10 years, not the next 35-40.

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 pm

And their logo is disgusting.

GeneralSilent
MVP

Postby GeneralSilent » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 pm

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:And their logo is disgusting.

It's not their official logo, it's just using it for marketing purposes. They aren't rebranding anything, their logo's, uniforms, etc etc will stay the same.
God bless america!

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:12 pm

GeneralSilent wrote:
ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:And their logo is disgusting.

It's not their official logo, it's just using it for marketing purposes. They aren't rebranding anything, their logo's, uniforms, etc etc will stay the same.

Y e s .

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

GeneralSilent wrote:It's not their official logo, it's just using it for marketing purposes. They aren't rebranding anything, their logo's, uniforms, etc etc will stay the same.

Praise the lord..
So the Giants traded Beckham....

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 pm

The Chargers are going to be the second tenant in a soccer stadium. They are going to be the 10th most popular team in LA, and some would argue that's a generous estimate.

Imagine what would happen next year if there are empty seats at Stubhub at a Chargers game. Oh the hilarity!
-------

On a side note, if anyone is wondering why they're playing at Stubhub and not the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum, give this article a read.

Return to “NFL Football”