Super Bowl LI

trey31
All-Pro

Re: Super Bowl LI

Postby trey31 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm

RevanFan wrote:Seems like a cop out.

Madden NFL 2008 is the seventh best-selling video game of all-time in the United States with 6.6 million copies sold, according to the NPD sales figures. As of December 13, 2007, the Xbox 360 version has sold over 1 million copies in the United States.

Madden NFL 10 shipped 3.9 million units globally.

From what I understand, Madden's dev team has had budget cuts every year since 2005 or 2006. Which explains why they took so many features out of the games, only to reintroduce them as new features for so many years in a row.

Also 6,000,000 x $50 = $300,000,000... wow.

Sponsor

Sponsor

ultimatum77
MVP

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 am

JSamuel wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:Madden 08 - "Tom brady is a tough guy, he's also a cool guy" = happens when TB12 throws 2 TD's at least against you in game lol....

I've never heard that one... because I've never played against the Patriots. :lol:

yea its pretty hilarious some of the qb comments....like if the steelers play against the giants and big ben vs eli manning. Madden says "not to take anything away from roethlisberger but I think Eli Manning will be the best of that draft group" or somethign to that effect.....it happens every time if eli throws over 2 td's.....

Also if you go all hurry up all the time..." Teams like the patriots use the hurry up offesnse to keep the defense off balance"
-even if you are not playing with or against the patriots....if you button mash hurry up madden compares you to the patriots (who the previous season went 18-1) and had a dynamic offense based on the hurry up lol.....some of the comments by madden are hilarious.....

Then for petyon manning madden goes "peyton manning gets 3 plays a run and 2 pass plays then he audibles/checks out based on what the defense is showing" - again not verbatim but madden says something about petyon manning's audible OCD lol.....

on a side note....It's fun to call fake audibles against peyton manning b/c he starts screaming all over the place and changing pass plays to run plays or play action.....I can get 2-3 picks from manning just by calling a 3-4 zone and calling fake defensive audibles (flip play) and he starts crapping himself audibling and moving WRs, TEs HBs lol.....and just wait over the middle with a FS or MLB with speed and he'll throw you a cupcake pick....also calling DB blitz on him is fun even on all madden getting 5-7 sacks from my db spot lol.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

AaronS
MVP

Postby AaronS » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:14 am

trey31 wrote:Also 6,000,000 x $50 = $300,000,000... wow.

So even if the development and marketing costs are $50-75mil, think of what they've made on this game over the years!!

.. and they STILL can't turn out a product that was AS GOOD as the one they were making a decade ago!

trey31
All-Pro

Postby trey31 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:08 am

AaronS wrote:So even if the development and marketing costs are $50-75mil, think of what they've made on this game over the years!!

.. and they STILL can't turn out a product that was AS GOOD as the one they were making a decade ago!

I had a former acquaintance who worked for a small dev (nothing to do with EA) and according to him, the FIFA games have a large dev team and Madden has been done on a shoestring budget since the exclusive deal. Like, indie developer-type of shoestring budget (he worked for an indie developer at the time). He also personally knew guys who worked for Blizzard, so he may have been comparing EA to Blizzard. At any rate, EA was even hiring non-programmers from the OS sports website to join the development team based entirely on their roster updates...

Anyway, from what he told me when I was discussing the PLYT tag (and its effect on everything in-game) with him a couple years ago, development is likely almost entirely based around 3D graphics and new user interface/rosters (to make the product look new every year). His opinion about the gameplay of the PS2/XBox engine vs PS3/360 engine was that they were different engines, the "new" one got screwed up, and because feature development was never the focus of the dev team (after the exclusive), they stuck with that crappy engine from Madden 07 (360) through Madden 25 due to a lack of resources from the continually shrinking budget. In my opinion they did appear to tweak the engine for either 11 or 12 (12 plays way better than all the previous ones from 07-11) but its still a mess. Just from watching YouTube videos of M16/17 it's obvious the focus is still on making it look like a new game every year, rather than developing one.

I actually just recently read an article about the head of NBA 2K17 stating in an interview that 2K is "bigger" than Madden, the argument being that 2K doesn't have exclusive rights to the NBA so instead it forced them to develop a superior product to out-compete the competition. Can't argue with him. Nobody benefits from exclusive rights. I guarantee there would be more sales and royalties for the NFL if EA and 2K were both developing NFL titles every year. I know of several guys who used to buy both every year. And if you look at the vast improvements (for both EA and 2K titles) from 2001 to 2005, it's clear as day that competition benefitted the product more in those 5 years than the complete lack of competition from Madden 07 through 17.

But yea, EA is a numbers company. Sales shrink, budget shrinks. $250,000,000 is a lot of money and increasing a development budget by $20-30M may not recoup the same amount in sales, but spending more on advertising is a proven strategy. So mediocrity wins the boardroom. Hooray for non-competitive monopolized market niche and video games.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:Also if you go all hurry up all the time..." Teams like the patriots use the hurry up offesnse to keep the defense off balance"
-even if you are not playing with or against the patriots....if you button mash hurry up madden compares you to the patriots (who the previous season went 18-1) and had a dynamic offense based on the hurry up lol.....some of the comments by madden are hilarious.....

You are off by a year. They went 18-1 in the year that lines up with the release of Madden 09.

But the Eli>Ben comment is hilarious every time I hear it. There is a Rivers comment too, but I can't remember it..

Really like the hurry up here. Picks up the pace and keeps the defense off balance.(If you must know, there was 75 seconds left in a one score game. As if the hurry up had anything to do with the defense's balance). :)
Figured I could have some fun with the bible verses and everything.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Genesis 1:1

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:20 pm

mee wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:Also if you go all hurry up all the time..." Teams like the patriots use the hurry up offesnse to keep the defense off balance"

You are off by a year. They went 18-1 in the year that lines up with the release of Madden 09.

But the Eli>Ben comment is hilarious every time I hear it. There is a Rivers comment too, but I can't remember it..

Really like the hurry up here. Picks up the pace and keeps the defense off balance.(If you must know, there was 75 seconds left in a one score game. As if the hurry up had anything to do with the defense's balance). :)

The year that lines up with Madden 09 is 2008. They were 18-1 in 2007, the year of Madden 08.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

achernar
MVP

Postby achernar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 am

trey31
All-Pro

Postby trey31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 am

achernar wrote:
Spoiler:

As a former St Louis Rams fan, I'm disappointed in my years of previous hatred of the Patriots. I spent over a decade despising the GOAT coach and his GOAT quarterback.

Envy does strange things to people.

Ultimately I'm glad the Rams moved to Inglewood before Brady's inevitable retirement, and not after. I got to see greatness at least once without my bitter, envy-goggles on before he was done.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 pm

RevanFan wrote:The year that lines up with Madden 09 is 2008. They were 18-1 in 2007, the year of Madden 08.

Load up the default roster and look at the records.
Figured I could have some fun with the bible verses and everything.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Genesis 1:1

achernar
MVP

Postby achernar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:20 pm

mee wrote:
RevanFan wrote:The year that lines up with Madden 09 is 2008. They were 18-1 in 2007, the year of Madden 08.

Load up the default roster and look at the records.

in the Madden 08, I believe the record is for 2006 season...
the teams default for a exhibition play is Bears vs Colts... the Super Bowl contenders

Return to “NFL Football”