40 Teams?

elguapo
Hall of Fame

40 Teams?

Postby elguapo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:02 am

Is this the NFL trying to monopolize pro football?

https://youtu.be/
https://youtu.be/9PaLn2YPaaU

40 Teams?

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: 40 Teams?

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:52 am

elguapo wrote:Is this the NFL trying to monopolize pro football?

https://youtu.be/
https://youtu.be/9PaLn2YPaaU

They already do and have had the monlopy in place for many, many, many years. Just look at all of the failed attempts of the other pro leagues over the years. And those leagues have had the same access to the pool of collegiate players as the NFL. But they just can't pay them salaries offered by the NFL. Heck, practice squad players on the NFL teams get paid more. I make more that the XFL players, sheesh! As a kid, I alway wondered about the NFL having a team in each state. The main rule being no team can draft any player outside of his own state.

And, they do have the business model for teams playing in other countries with the NFL Europe Project. I started the video and quickly turned it off as soon as he started talking about QB's and lack of great QB play. The NFL is a business to sell tickets, t-shirts, beer and make tons of money. They don't caree which team wins the championship. I read back in 2020 that the shared revenue for each team after the season was over was over $400 million profit. So even if a team is poor, like the Jaguars and Lions, the organization still gets a phat check at the end of every seaason.

You've got these large stadiums for every team. The smallest holds 61000. They make big money every week regardless of game results.

So, when they do add new products/teams in other countries, will the change from NFL to WFL?

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:17 pm

So which markets would get a team? He also talked about having the super bowl at smaller stadiums since the NFL would get more revenue from betting than from fans attending a super bowl.

The Sun Bowl quickly popped into my head but frankly it gets pretty cold around here in February.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:25 pm

elguapo wrote:So which markets would get a team? He also talked about having the super bowl at smaller stadiums since the NFL would get more revenue from betting than from fans attending a super bowl.

The Sun Bowl quickly popped into my head but frankly it gets pretty cold around here in February.

Well, again, they already have the business model in place for teams to exist in othe countries. Along with getting the american teams comfortable with the international travel. Playing games in London is clearly big part of the project. NFl Europa lasted 12 years. But final reports showed they lost $30 per season. But if you think about the shared revenue, then it is surely do-able. So, last season shared revenue was $274 million per team (covid-19 season). If the 8 international teams combined lost $30 mil. they do earn their share of revenue to manage the expenses.

The markets they select will have to met financial requirements. The city needs to have a large fan base that will attend games.

As far as the smaller stadiums for SB's, I highly doubt it. It's the biggest game of the year. Ticket prices are 30x higher than regular season tickets. They are not going to cut that revenue. And if they get a cut from the book bets already, no need to change that also.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:46 pm

The NFL would be more beneficial if they stay in the USA.
Here is why.......

1. They could get the additional 8 teams in markets that were moved.
San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis and Washington DC (WFT is in Maryland)
2. Ex-USFL,WFL and other Spring Leagues....
Birmingham, Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Portland
3. Places where is no MLB...
Salt Lake City, Richmond, Columbia, SC., Jackson, Columbus, Oh., Omaha and Albuquerque
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:24 pm

I would put a team in these cities taking into consideration that teams shouldn’t be so close to each other where home field advantage is diminished by the opposing team’s fans.

Hawaii - the NFL took away the pro bowl.
Fresno - between 49ers and raiders
San Antonio - Dallas and Houston may seem close but Texas is a BIG state.
Toronto - the city has an NBA and MLB all they need is an NFL.
Mexico City - Would be a good fan base.
San Diego - move the chargers back to San Diego.
Salt Lake City - BYU, UTAH, UTAH ST do I need say more?
Birmingham - can’t see an Orlando team so close to the bucs and dolphins. scratch that.
St Louis - the NFL owes the city.

Then change the NFL to the NAFL. (North American Football League)

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:59 pm

BUS36 wrote:The NFL would be more beneficial if they stay in the USA.
Here is why.......

1. They could get the additional 8 teams in markets that were moved.
San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis and Washington DC (WFT is in Maryland)
2. Ex-USFL,WFL and other Spring Leagues....
Birmingham, Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Portland
3. Places where is no MLB...
Salt Lake City, Richmond, Columbia, SC., Jackson, Columbus, Oh., Omaha and Albuquerque

You would think in terms of true expansion is to reach new untapped markets. Putting teams in old markets does not make sense. Adding teams to college towns does not add up. Adding a third team in Ohio, hell no. Them bums aren't ever relevant, haven't been competitive since the eighties. Adding teams the middle of no where like Omaha would be a short death sentence for that organization.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:06 pm

elguapo wrote:I would put a team in these cities taking into consideration that teams shouldn’t be so close to each other where home field advantage is diminished by the opposing team’s fans.

Birmingham - can’t see an Orlando team so close to the bucs and dolphins. scratch that.

Why would the NFL add a team to one of the poorest citiea in the U.S like ST. Louis?

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
elguapo wrote:I would put a team in these cities taking into consideration that teams shouldn’t be so close to each other where home field advantage is diminished by the opposing team’s fans.

Why would the NFL add a team to one of the poorest citiea in the U.S like ST. Louis?

…because the NFL would rather put an NFL team there instead of paying the millions it owes the city. And with the revenue expected from gambling it is not going to matter where you put a team because the revenue is going to come nationally or globally.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:21 am

well St Louis is no longer that poor after settling with the NFL for $790 million... and probably got a hint... hint... nudge... nudge... wink... wink... next in line for an expansion team. Next San Diego and Oakland will sue...
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “NFL Football”