Panthers revoke franchise tag from Josh Norman

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 am

A stunning move, and now norman is a free agent and being contacted by teams...it hurts a little though because its just a week before the draft and he potentially could have made more money if released earlier in the FA signing/offseason.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Re: Panthers revoke franchise tag from Josh Norman

Postby KeepinItTeal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am

Would love to see him in Jax. And we have the cap room to make it happen. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:48 pm

I really don't get what Gettleman is doing... he should at least have Norman play out the one year deal and then let him free in 2017. I understand he didn't want to risk Norman's probable holdout into training camp, but they need him. They don't have any starting caliber CBs on their team and they have other needs to fill in the draft.

Anyways, it sounds like the Redskins are in the lead to get Norman. I wonder if he'll get somewhere between $12-16M per year...
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 pm

I think Gettleman is figuring that since they got to the Super Bowl with an overall average secondary that they can do it again. Maybe.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Signed with the Redskins. Oh well.

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:38 am

KeepinItTeal wrote:Signed with the Redskins. Oh well.

Unfortunate for the Panthers, given that the Panthers and Redskins meet up this year. (Or perhaps that was intentional, I wouldn't put it past the NFL)

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:18 am

moonbax wrote:

Unfortunate for the Panthers, given that the Panthers and Redskins meet up this year. (Or perhaps that was intentional, I wouldn't put it past the NFL)

And the Giants and Redskins play each other twice, so all hell can be let loose between Beckham and Norman I guess.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:45 am

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:
moonbax wrote:

And the Giants and Redskins play each other twice, so all hell can be let loose between Beckham and Norman I guess.

Although the giants lost that game I think if OBJ is more mature and keeps his head in the game, they will win at least one and expose Norman as the zone cover corner he is (he mostly played zone in Carolina) OBJ even though he was penalized for personal fouls had success against norman for good yardage in the last meeting. Norman will have to prove himself as a one-on-one guy as for me I think he's overrated and a product of his zone system in Carolina. He'll probably end up like Brandon Browner, cashing in and getting paid then getting cut from being burned one-on-one and go back to his old team like Browner who recently signed with seahawks again after spending 1yr in NE and 1yr in NO. At least he got another ring via NE.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:51 pm

I wouldn't personally put it as harshly, but I tend to understand where ult is coming from. Norman isn't the "heart and soul" of the team, as some might put it. That would be in the pass rushers and the duo of Keuchly and Davis. Truth is that corners just have a high turnaround in Carolina: Captain Munnerlyn, Cortland Finnegan, now Norman. Might be hard to believe if your team heavily values corners, but that just isn't part of the philosophy of the team. (I must be stuck on this coach philosophy in Madden thing)

Also, they would most likely now have Bene Benwikere and Robert McClain as "starting" corners, with their new addition Brandon Boykin at nickel corner, in case you wanted to adjust their roster and depth chart in Madden 08. McClain was CB2 when Benwikere was injured last season.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:00 am

moonbax wrote:I wouldn't personally put it as harshly, but I tend to understand where ult is coming from. Norman isn't the "heart and soul" of the team, as some might put it. That would be in the pass rushers and the duo of Keuchly and Davis. Truth is that corners just have a high turnaround in Carolina: Captain Munnerlyn, Cortland Finnegan, now Norman. Might be hard to believe if your team heavily values corners, but that just isn't part of the philosophy of the team. (I must be stuck on this coach philosophy in Madden thing)

Also, they would most likely now have Bene Benwikere and Robert McClain as "starting" corners, with their new addition Brandon Boykin at nickel corner, in case you wanted to adjust their roster and depth chart in Madden 08. McClain was CB2 when Benwikere was injured last season.

I agree, due to their great LB and DE's pass rush the corners get more free balls to make a play on b/c of pressure....A guy like norman with just 4 picks last season is not the definition of a shutdown corner. A lot of corners talk themselves up as shutdown corners in order to get a fatter paycheck....it's a over used term that doesn't apply to many players who use it for themselves...

Return to “Carolina Panthers”