What the hell is wrong with the Colts?

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Last week, we were competitive against the Patriots, but lost on the worst trick play in the history of football. I have read on the play and now understand what they were trying to do, which is draw the Pats offside. The original center was supposed to be safety Clayton Geathers, but he was injured earlier that day. Griff Whalen had not practiced that play, he had only studied it from the playbook. Furthermore, he had not been informed of an addition to the play. I can't get too much in detail about that, but the playbook said that if someone got under center, that was the signal to snap the ball. Now, I'm usually a fan of trick plays, but with all that info, the play should have never been run.

I was really frustrated about that game, but I eventually got over it. But now we are trying a different strategy: not showing up at all to avoid heartache at the end of the game.

Now I don't understand. There had been questionable decisions before, that I just brushed off since I obviously am not qualified to be on a team's front office. But as it is starting to stack up, I'm wondering if there is something fundamentally wrong with our team. I can live with our owner's stupid tweets, or even with a rebuilding team that loses more than it wins. Hell, I once supported a local hockey team that went 12-61-7 at their worst.

One of the questionable decisions involves the draft. We have one of the deepest receiving corps in the NFL and the best safety of the draft was still available, so we thought we should draft Philip Dorsett and then barely make him play. WHAT?!?

Even though our roster has some weaknesses like the offensive line, I honestly thought that we could be Super Bowl contenders. We still have time to turn it around, but this has been a disappointing season so far.

Sorry for the long rant. I was going to post it on my Facebook but I figured this site would have more people who care.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NFLVICK7
MVP

Re: What the hell is wrong with the Colts?

Postby NFLVICK7 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Honestly I think one of the main problems is lack of balance on offense.

Look at how Luck played as a rookie and compare it to now. It's pretty much the same. he just goes out there and throws the ball, because they can't run it. And putting the ball into his hands that much he has a habit of making bad decisions.

Its a lot like Romo. great talent, and ability, can really light it up, but has a tendency to make a bone head throw everyone so often. Cowboys got him a run game and boom, had probably his best season ever last year.

I think he needs and offensive line, but i also think he needs to start being held accountable for his mistakes. He seems to get a pass from everyone when he has a bad game, or a few bad games. and Romo Seems to be destroyed for every mistake he makes.

So in short I think they need a physical tough offensive line, so they can run the ball instead of just relying on the pass. And I think Luck needs to really start improving on not turning the ball over
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:07 pm

You make a lot of good points. I agree that Luck and his teammates need to be held accountable, but at the same time, I don't think the most glaring needs have been addressed in the offseason. I have nothing against Dorsett, and maybe they panicked about Hilton not being re-signed at the time. I just think they could have drafted better. *shrug* But what do I know, I'm just a fan! I guess I'll just see how the rest of the season plays out.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 am

NFLVICK7 wrote:Honestly I think one of the main problems is lack of balance on offense.

Look at how Luck played as a rookie and compare it to now. It's pretty much the same. he just goes out there and throws the ball, because they can't run it. And putting the ball into his hands that much he has a habit of making bad decisions.

Its a lot like Romo. great talent, and ability, can really light it up, but has a tendency to make a bone head throw everyone so often. Cowboys got him a run game and boom, had probably his best season ever last year.

I think he needs and offensive line, but i also think he needs to start being held accountable for his mistakes. He seems to get a pass from everyone when he has a bad game, or a few bad games. and Romo Seems to be destroyed for every mistake he makes.

So in short I think they need a physical tough offensive line, so they can run the ball instead of just relying on the pass. And I think Luck needs to really start improving on not turning the ball over

I agree with your assessment nflvick7, luck is a good player but he isn't a manning or brees back in their prime where the defense knew they were throwing but they could will their team to victory by making good decisions and avoiding bad ones. Luck is on the level of romo, but gets a pass b/c he was a 1st round pick and had early success in his nfl career. I think defenses have started to gameplan better on luck's tendencies and they know if you shut down the colts run game (which is not dominant like last year's cowboys or seahawks for example) it forces Luck to throw, and eventually luck runs out lol :) Even if they win the AFC south which is a weak division with several teams rebuilding, they will be a 4th seed or 6th seed wild card. Even that seems generous as they continue to wilt under pressure from dominant teams like the patriots. I think pagano will be fired by the end of the season and the colts will collapse for at least 2 more years/seasons under a new coach. The colts aren't contenders anymore just pretenders!
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:27 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:I agree with your assessment nflvick7, luck is a good player but he isn't a manning or brees back in their prime where the defense knew they were throwing but they could will their team to victory by making good decisions and avoiding bad ones. Luck is on the level of romo, but gets a pass b/c he was a 1st round pick and had early success in his nfl career. I think defenses have started to gameplan better on luck's tendencies and they know if you shut down the colts run game (which is not dominant like last year's cowboys or seahawks for example) it forces Luck to throw, and eventually luck runs out lol :) Even if they win the AFC south which is a weak division with several teams rebuilding, they will be a 4th seed or 6th seed wild card. Even that seems generous as they continue to wilt under pressure from dominant teams like the patriots. I think pagano will be fired by the end of the season and the colts will collapse for at least 2 more years/seasons under a new coach. The colts aren't contenders anymore just pretenders!

I have to disagree. Luck is better then Romo (as a GIANTS fan I am biased) mostly because Romo always gets hurt. The Colts need a few new o-line men and a RB and they will be as good as Peyton's Colts.
I think Pagano gets a longer leash, maybe consecutive 1st round exits before he gets fired.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm

mee wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:I agree with your assessment nflvick7, luck is a good player but he isn't a manning or brees back in their prime where the defense knew they were throwing but they could will their team to victory by making good decisions and avoiding bad ones. Luck is on the level of romo, but gets a pass b/c he was a 1st round pick and had early success in his nfl career. I think defenses have started to gameplan better on luck's tendencies and they know if you shut down the colts run game (which is not dominant like last year's cowboys or seahawks for example) it forces Luck to throw, and eventually luck runs out lol :) Even if they win the AFC south which is a weak division with several teams rebuilding, they will be a 4th seed or 6th seed wild card. Even that seems generous as they continue to wilt under pressure from dominant teams like the patriots. I think pagano will be fired by the end of the season and the colts will collapse for at least 2 more years/seasons under a new coach. The colts aren't contenders anymore just pretenders!

I have to disagree. Luck is better then Romo (as a GIANTS fan I am biased) mostly because Romo always gets hurt. The Colts need a few new o-line men and a RB and they will be as good as Peyton's Colts.
I think Pagano gets a longer leash, maybe consecutive 1st round exits before he gets fired.

In this case, injury does not affect ability. Romo is far superior because Luck throws way too many interceptions and has too many turnovers.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:40 pm

RevanFan wrote:In this case, injury does not affect ability. Romo is far superior because Luck throws way too many interceptions and has too many turnovers.

Of course injury affects ability. Would you rather 16 games of Luck and his too many interceptions or 10 nice games of Romo and 6 of Weeden/Cassell?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:51 pm

mee wrote:
RevanFan wrote:In this case, injury does not affect ability. Romo is far superior because Luck throws way too many interceptions and has too many turnovers.

Of course injury affects ability. Would you rather 16 games of Luck and his too many interceptions or 10 nice games of Romo and 6 of Weeden/Cassell?

I didn't mean injury never affects ability. I mean, when comparing who is better, you can't really account for injury. Romo is clearly the better quarterback, but Luck has better health. Anyway, if the backup was capable, I'd take 10 weeks of Romo. I can't stand QBs who throw a lot of interceptions. However, this season, I'd take Luck and his interceptions, as Romo's backups are worse.

And by the way, Luck's health isn't perfect either. I seem to remember Matt Hasselbeck starting a few games and doing better than Luck. Now, if Hasselbeck was Dallas' backup... well, a man can dream.
My Cowboys Journal

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:57 pm

RevanFan wrote:Now, if Hasselbeck was Dallas' backup...

........ Now if he was the Giants backup....it wouldn't matter because a good QB doesn't get hurt all the time.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:57 pm

mee wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Now, if Hasselbeck was Dallas' backup...

........ Now if he was the Giants backup....it wouldn't matter because a good QB doesn't get hurt all the time.

Sometimes you can't help it when a 250 pound guy falls on your shoulder, can you? You try getting up from that.
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Indianapolis Colts”