Chris Cooley released

User avatar
NickyJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2647
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Chris Cooley released

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Redskins.com
The Washington Redskins announced today that they have released tight end Chris Cooley, the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end.

Cooley (6-3, 243) had spent his entire eight-year NFL career with the Washington Redskins since being drafted by the team in the third round (81st overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft.

In his time with the Redskins, he posted 428 receptions for 4,703 yards and 33 receiving touchdowns. He was the team’s longest-tenured player on the roster.

Last season, Cooley became the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, surpassing Redskins legend Jerry Smith (421).

Cooley’s 428 receptions currently rank 19th all-time by a tight end, nine receptions shy of Pro Football Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow and one reception ahead of Mike Ditka and Dallas Clark.

This is the end of an era in Washington. Sure, signing coach Shanahan started an era here, but the release of Cooley ends one as well. Cooley was a fan favorite at TE, and will be dearly missed. I hoped he would still make the roster and eventually get the Super Bowl win he deserved, even if his production has slowed, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :cry:
Image

Chris Cooley released

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

User avatar
Danchat
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2376
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:07 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby Danchat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 pm

NickyJ wrote:
This is the end of an era in Washington. Sure, signing coach Shanahan started an era here, but the release of Cooley ends one as well. Cooley was a fan favorite at TE, and will be dearly missed. I hoped he would still make the roster and eventually get the Super Bowl win he deserved, even if his production has slowed, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :cry:

I think Cooley was a great TE. I respect him and he's got a good shot to crack another roster. More on that here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055744/article/six-teams-that-could-show-interest-in-chris-cooley
Not everyone is going to win a super bowl. There are great players on many teams that will never get a super bowl ring. Many players deserve one....but few get them.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

User avatar
NickyJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2647
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 pm

From what I've heard, it's supposed to be that he left because he wanted to be a starter. I'm sure someone like the Raiders could use him, but if not, there's a chance he may come back to Washington. He has a great loyalty to the team, so it is possible.
Image

User avatar
PML17
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby PML17 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 pm

New England Patriots: It doesn't really make sense, but he's a tight end! The Patriots love those guys.
:lol:
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

User avatar
NickyJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2647
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm

PMan17 wrote:New England Patriots: It doesn't really make sense, but he's a tight end! The Patriots love those guys.
:lol:

Well, they have kicked the tires on Gaffney and Stallworth, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt for them to try out another veteran. :lol:
Image

User avatar
PML17
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby PML17 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22 pm

NickyJ wrote:
PMan17 wrote:New England Patriots: It doesn't really make sense, but he's a tight end! The Patriots love those guys.
:lol:

Well, they have kicked the tires on Gaffney and Stallworth, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt for them to try out another veteran. :lol:

Gaffney? Man, I have been so caught up with work and M13 I have miss A LOT! (Notice I didn't say sleep, 36 hours baby! :lol:) But last I check, both Fells and the guy from the Viks (IDK his name, again, over tired :lol) are injured, so they might add Cooley for depth.
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

User avatar
RevanFan
Legend
Posts: 10058
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: New York

Re: Chris Cooley released

Postby RevanFan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 pm

PMan17 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
PMan17 wrote:New England Patriots: It doesn't really make sense, but he's a tight end! The Patriots love those guys.
:lol:

Well, they have kicked the tires on Gaffney and Stallworth, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt for them to try out another veteran. :lol:

Gaffney? Man, I have been so caught up with work and M13 I have miss A LOT! (Notice I didn't say sleep, 36 hours baby! :lol:) But last I check, both Fells and the guy from the Viks (IDK his name, again, over tired :lol) are injured, so they might add Cooley for depth.

Visanthe Shiancoe. I could definitely see Cooley going there. They are TE crazy.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.


Return to “Washington Redskins”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest