Robert Griffin III A 3rd Stringer

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:38 pm

First and foremost, I'm glad that my favorite QB from Texas, Colt McCoy, is the 2nd string QB. But now I wonder how RG3 went from starter, to a third string? I believe it was because he is injury-prone, but maybe it was Mike Shanahan's fault?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Re: Robert Griffin III A 3rd Stringer

Postby Rixster67r » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:54 pm

There are alot of Haters here in the DC area......indeed I think Jerry Jones wants to relocate the Cowboys here so that he can get closer to his fans :lol:
There are alot of Cowboys Fans here

He claimed he was the best qb in the league......this preseason
The team doesnt seem to respond to him......
Daniel Snyder wants to blow him :oops: :D ;) :( :o ......thats why I think he is still on the roster

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Only 3rd because their isn't a 4th. That I know of :lol:

Why does everyone got to keep saying you a need a Running QB ?

NONE, I REPEAT NONE OF Them have won.

Both Steve Young and Russell Wilson are the only remotely close to a running qb of doing it.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Randall12 wrote:Only 3rd because their isn't a 4th. That I know of :lol:

Both Steve Young and Russell Wilson are the only remotely close to a running qb of doing it.

Fran Tarkenton could run. Roger Staubach was well known for making Tom Landry mad by running and improvising. Those guys weren't winners?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:54 pm

The main theory flying around is that Griffin has never been able to run a pro-style offense, and was at is his best in the read-option offense that Shanahan implemented (and took the rest of the NFL by storm after Griffin's success). Knowing that Griffin would eventually need to learn a pro-offense to survive, Shanny would have gradually moved Griffin from the read-option to a traditional offense over time. When Griffin's knee was shredded against Seattle (both Shanny and Griffin deserve blame, but no coach should have ever let Griffin limp around on one leg as long as Shanny did there), it all went out the window. Griffin, his father, and Snyder wanted him immediately in a traditional offense to protect him. Shanny being the spineless wimp he turned into when he left, went with what they wanted and we've sucked ever since, while Griffin gets beaten to a pulp behind a sucky line that was designed to be mobile.

Fast-forward to now, we are in quite a pickle: After Gruden tore into Griffin during last season and put us on a QB carousel, we hired Scott McLoughan to be our GM, who presumably pressured Gruden into affirming that Griffin would be our starter for this season - his last chance to perform - while McCoy and Cousins duke it out for 2nd string. We also picked up Grffin's $16 million fifth year option. After two underwhelming preseason games of Griffin getting beaten to a pulp, he got a concussion. A week later, the team cleared him, then uncleared him again to the point that he has been off the field since his injury in week 2. Cousins was named starter, and McCoy 2nd while Griffin was still under medical review.

Our situation: We are in our third "rebuild" since Zorn left after 2009, the quarterback who lit up the league in 2012 is now inexplicably sucking, a flammable QB who is basically a mobile Rex Grossman on drugs is our starter, and we have an overwhelmingly underwhelming Browns reject floating in and out of the picture.

Nobody has ever said that teams need running quarterbacks. Russell Wilson is a running QB. The Seahawks cater to his style, and don't rely on him to make huge throws. His legs keep the field wide open while a talented team receiving crew and a stud runningback surround him.

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:30 pm

NickyJ wrote:*Moderator edit: Trimmed the wall of text that wasn't responded to*

Nobody has ever said that teams need running quarterbacks. Russell Wilson is a running QB. The Seahawks cater to his style, and don't rely on him to make huge throws. His legs keep the field wide open while a talented team receiving crew and a stud runningback surround him.

I don't mean forum members, There's two announcers I hear from time to time that got to keep saying what I just said :lol:

kirk1827
Pro Bowl

Postby kirk1827 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 am

My opinion is RGIII needs to LEARN to become a pocket passer. Thats QBs first mission. Get a good pass off. Then is when is very good mobility will come in to avoid sacks AND get a good run down the field when possible. (Without putting your body at risk. As in sliding to give yourself up.)

Look at Cam Newton and Russel Wilson, among other good QBs, they look to pass and use there physical talents to avoid sacks and yard loses and even interception. Gotta play smart and have vision. These guys are like Michael Vick's but with accuracy.

RGIII looked to run first, then pass. He needs to reinvent himself or he will not make it in the NFL.

I like RGIII and hope he makes a comeback and get to start again for the Skins, but unless he want too, it wont happen.

Even if he goes to another team that plays FOR him, unless he learns to pass well, he wont last. And if he tries doing what made him SOOO good his rookie year, which is run it, BE THE MAN, I think he will get himself a career ending injury. I hope this last NEVER happens. He seems like a good dude and he does desrve that crap to happen to him.

I'm still rooting for you RGIII.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:05 pm

kirk1827 wrote:My opinion is RGIII needs to LEARN to become a pocket passer. Thats QBs first mission. Get a good pass off. Then is when is very good mobility will come in to avoid sacks AND get a good run down the field when possible. (Without putting your body at risk. As in sliding to give yourself up.)

Look at Cam Newton and Russel Wilson, among other good QBs, they look to pass and use there physical talents to avoid sacks and yard loses and even interception. Gotta play smart and have vision. These guys are like Michael Vick's but with accuracy.

RGIII looked to run first, then pass. He needs to reinvent himself or he will not make it in the NFL.

I like RGIII and hope he makes a comeback and get to start again for the Skins, but unless he want too, it wont happen.

Even if he goes to another team that plays FOR him, unless he learns to pass well, he wont last. And if he tries doing what made him SOOO good his rookie year, which is run it, BE THE MAN, I think he will get himself a career ending injury. I hope this last NEVER happens. He seems like a good dude and he does desrve that crap to happen to him.

I'm still rooting for you RGIII.

No, he doesn't need to learn how to be a pocket passer. That's what got him hurt so much (not counting 2012). He needs to learn hoe to run the pro style offense instead of the only knowing how to run the zone read.

Return to “Washington Football Team”