Redskins change their name?

Loxley
All-Pro

Re: Redskins change their name?

Postby Loxley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Can't Snyder just approve 'Washington Politics' as the new name? nobody will feel the name's not correct or lacks "identity" :roll:

Sponsor

Sponsor

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Loxley wrote:Can't Snyder just approve 'Washington Politics' as the new name? nobody will feel the name's not correct or lacks "identity" :roll:

LOL how about the Washington Corruptocrats? :lol:
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

lionsfan
MVP

Postby lionsfan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:54 pm

DrBrownsFan wrote:Also, it seems we are trying to heal the memory of the Native Americans' physical and cultural slaughter at the hands of the New World explorers (read: our collective conscience) by using something unrelated to the original wrong. First, the Caucasian Americans today are not the ones who destroyed the Native American culture, and the Native Americans today are not the ones who had their culture destroyed. (Just like African Americans today were never enslaved, and Caucasian Americans today never enslaved them, yet to clear our collective consciences, we give African Americans a leg up over other races, which I personally see as demeaning of the African American culture. It says that the African Americans can't work, eat, own a home, etc. without "help" from the kind and generous Caucasian Americans.) We try to assert our moral superiority over our fellow man by saying that we want to "help" these minorities that were hurt in the past, and I think this is an example of using an unrelated situation to assert moral superiority.

Exactly! This is what I was trying to say earlier. You stated it much better.

Sleeper66
All-Pro

Postby Sleeper66 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:46 pm

I say unrelated because how is a Native American team name and mascot hurting Native Americans today? I would think that it would bring back those glory days in their memory.

Yes, the "glory days" of being called a "Redskin." Ah the fond memories and nostalgia that must generate for Natives everywhere.

Or do you mean the glory days before mass slaughter and small pox?

Either way, this thread is truly bringing out the worst of what the internet has to offer. Not sure why I expected more from the FI crowd.

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Seeing as everyone's giving concluding statements I will post my final thoughts

It seems we are trying to heal the memory of the Native Americans' physical and cultural slaughter at the hands of the New World explorers (read: our collective conscience) by using something unrelated to the original wrong. First, the Caucasian Americans today are not the ones who destroyed the Native American culture, and the Native Americans today are not the ones who had their culture destroyed.

That is exactly the point! Back when the Native American culture was being mistreated, by the collective ancestors of Caucasian Society, there was no one to apologise. Just because those same people are not around does not mean one ethnic group cannot apologise to another for the actions of the group, in the past.

I will give some examples:
1) German society following WWI, and up until just a few years ago, was feeling the effects of the actions of the government at that time, as they had to pay off reparations. Whilst those members of the government were not alive, they were still feeling effects. Summary: Responsibility for past actions of group
2) In Australia, the Aboriginal people (native Australians) were mistreated by Caucasian society. However, In 2008 the govenment apologised for the actions that the Caucasian ethnic group had committed towards the aboriginals.
Just because it was other Caucasians doesn't mean we don't have to accept responsibility for the actions of our ethnic group, that's what being part of a group means; you must accept responsibility for past and present actions, as well as celebrating in triumphs.

To many people who are for the name change, the name is a sign of a) not accepting some sort of responsibility, and then b) refusing to hold some remorse.
It [the name change] is about affording respect to a culture which was mistreated, which is embodied in the name "Redskin".

------------------------
Note: in Australia, Redskin is considered a highly offensive term, something which we were taught ever since we were kids. There was a huge uproar, about the Redskin lollies....did not go down well.
Green Bay Packers, Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... =2&t=14773
Heisman 14 Add-on Team
AGL MOD: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15644

lionsfan
MVP

Postby lionsfan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Okay my turn for final thoughts... Through this thread I have learned a lot. I did not know a lot of this when I stated my first few comments (I feel really embarrassed because they were very ignorant comments). The truth is I guess I really never thought about the term "redskin" as anything more then a football team. I do now realize how probably broadly used that term was hundreds of years ago and how it can be considered very offensive.

Do I think the team was named to try and offend anyone? No.

Do I think the team should change its name? That should be up to the people that the term "Redskin" can be considered derogatory to (Native Americans and any other group). I don't think anyone other than that should have much of a say in the matter.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 pm

If the Native American community comes together and jointly says, "We don't like this. It offends us," then I agree, they should consider changing the name. If they say, "We don't care, it's just a sports team," keep it. If they are still truly offended by the term, then the Redskins management should at least consider a change. I just don't have the greatest view point on the issue because, like I've said, insensitive terms about my race, religion, and other things usually don't bother me in the slightest.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 pm

They could always change their name to Washington Red "Sox". They were originally from Boston right?

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Austinmario wrote:They could always change their name to Washington Red "Sox". They were originally from Boston right?

No. Just... NO. :evil:
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 am

If the Redskins do decide to something else.......I think it should be the Washington AnkleGrabbers.......because they would be a bunch of PUNKS.......enough of the nonsense already.......really :roll:

Return to “Washington Football Team”