Redskins change their name?

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins change their name?

Postby Danchat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Loxley wrote:You know, I wasn't going to share my opinion about this matter mainly because I don't think there's a "correct point of view" there are valid points from both sides of the debate, but I must say that if I was on Snyder shoes I'd change the name for good, I understand the tradition and I personally never tought of the Redskins as a bad brand but I think the Oneida Nation and anyone who agree with their cause should be listened, historically speaking the term "Redskin" wasn't coined as a reference to honor the native americans, it's a racial slang considered offensive by native americans and general population alike. Period. I know the Redskins weren't bad intended when they decided to name their team but honestly, why fight it? If someone feels offended by the term, even if it's a minority and results that the person has some valid reason to feel offended, why not listen? why not make a change for good? they could change the name to something like Warriors, everybody will be okay, the fans in Washington will still root for the team and probably there'll be even more fans granted the name will not be labeled as classless by the people who can't stand the term "Redskins" and the world will keep spinning. There are some things we should let go, even if it hurts

So then, can I get the North Dakota Fighting Sioux back? They were named for good intentions and actually honored the Sioux. Nobody found it offensive until the NCAA randomly found it so. Read this quote: "After sanctimoniously declaring the logo “hostile and abusive” and pushing the State of North Dakota into a protracted legal and political battle that lasted for years (which included the NCAA steamrolling an actual Sioux tribe which wanted to keep the nickname and logo), it’s nice to know that the NCAA is still using it. It’s nice to know they’re still oh-so-sensitive to those supposedly offended by the logo." (Source: http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ncaa-still-using-controversial-und-fighting-sioux-logo/)

I know, the Redskins are a different case. I can understand why someone would find that offensive, unlike the Fighting Sioux. But next to nobody does. We can't accommodate everyone...
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Sponsor

Sponsor

ianjones
Veteran

Postby ianjones » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

the important thing to remember here isnt the correctness of either side of the debate. its that the controversy re-emerged in the middle of a govt shutdown! yeah dallas had that superbowl 3peat and while that is pretty significant, which other nfl team can say that they are more important than the entire body of american govt?! personally, i am offended by the new york giants. i have a friend who is 6'10" and the naming of new york's football team has caused him severe emotional distress. starting three years ago he began taping shoes to his knees, which he now uses as his means of propulsion so that the hordes of people dont point at him and say "look at that new york giant!" he cant even get a job because people think he is an idiot who walks on his knees. i want the giants removed from the nfl, not just because they suck, but so that my friend may once again stand at full mast without the fear that somewhere, on some channel he doesnt turn to, some team that he doesnt like from some sport he doesnt watch, is doing their best to put all of their pride into a stigma that has literally brought him to his knees.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:26 pm

Looks like it's being debated again and now it might actually happen. I think Washington Natives sound good.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm

8-) I feel very confident that I was the first person to come up with the redskin potato idea back in 5th grade talking to my buddies on the playground ... if it happens I don't want a royalty, just the credit, just sayin'....
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:02 pm

My mom's side of the family is from Florida. I am part Indian too, Seminole and Yemassee! I would be fine if Washington came up with another nickname, not depicting a particular race of people. The names Redskins or Chiefs are not the same as Cowboys, or Steelers, or Buccaneers or Ravens! There are so many names that the team could use that most could grow to like! Any name with skin attached should not be used!

I personally was or am not offended by the team of men called the Washington Redskins or Chiefs, even though I understand how the names came about. Here's article written 6 years ago! But for me, if it's not changed, I'm not offended anymore today as I was in 1974! If it is changed, thanks for hearing the people who are actually offended! I think my great-great-grandfather would like to see it changed!

Quoted from the Vice!

The "Change The Mascot" march in Washington gained ground this week when the US Patent and Trademark Office canceled six trademarks issued to the NFL's Washington Redskins. While the organization appeals the ruling, the team will still be able to use the name that the USPTO labeled as "disparaging" to Native Americans.

But honestly, aren't there mascots and team names in pro football that are just as offensive? It's only a matter of interpretation to see that every nickname in the NFL is disparaging to someone. Or something. It's up to us to ensure that this madness ends now, and that every NFL team nickname is something wholesome, family-friendly, and fun.

Let's have a look.

Arizona Cardinals

The cardinal is the state bird for seven different states, none of which is Arizona. Their state bird? The cactus wren. Hey, the cactus wren hasn't heard of you, either. When will the cactus wren get its due?

Proposed replacement nickname: Arizona Cactus Wrens

Atlanta Falcons

The state of Georgia had a reputation for being a penal colony during the age of the British Empire when it was founded in the 1730s. And yet the state's only football team continues to perpetuate that mistruth. The FalCONS have brandished their own cultural insensitivity too far. (Counterpoint: "We say to each other all the time, 'What's up, con?'")

Proposed replacement nickname: Atlanta Falpros.

Baltimore Ravens

Before Baltimore became Maryland's crackhouse, it was the home to Edgar Allen Poe, who wrote a poem called "The Raven." Yes, this is a pro football team named after a poem! Not, as many of you surely suspected, the Disney Channel show. How unmanly!

Proposed replacement nickname: Baltimore Raven-Symonés.

Buffalo Bills

The Bills were named for noted frontiersman "Buffalo Bill" Cody, who was a pretty cool dude until one considers that he earned his nickname from his efficiency of MURDERING POOR DEFENSELESS BISON! Seriously. Dude reportedly gunned down over 4,000 American bison in one 18-month span. What did those bison ever do to him? And why was he not nicknamed "Bison Bill?" This is going to bother me all day.

Proposed replacement nickname: Toronto Bison.

Carolina Panthers

This is just revenge against the Black Panthers. A professional sports team with 75 of its players being black, based in a former slave state. My Inner Geraldine Ferraro is in an uproar. Will no one stop to think of the children?

Proposed replacement nickname: Charlotte Webs.

Chicago Bears

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME WITH THIS BEARS SHIT? Did you not see Grizzly Man? Have you no respect, Chicago, for the earth and its vast array of natural treasures? Why must you continue to mock the memory of a documentary filmmaker trying to make friends with a wild predator. What's wrong with that?

Proposed replacement nickname: Chicago Kickbacks.

Cincinnati Bengals

Paul Brown founded this iteration of the Bengals franchise after Art Modell fired him as Cleveland Browns coach in 1963. Brown called his new team the Bengals, named for a currently-endangered tiger species in southeast Asia. No big deal, right?

WRONG. This nickname is now salt in the wound after the 2011 Zanesville Zoo Massacre, where 18 Bengal tigers were put down by local authorities. How many times must we relive that senseless tragedy?

Proposed replacement nickname: Cincinnati Kids (because Steve McQueen is awesome).

Cleveland Browns

"Let's name our team after the color of shit." Time to grow up, Cleveland.

Proposed replacement name: Cleveland Beige.

Dallas Cowboys

Cow. Boys. This is just another thoughtless, damaging tribute to the mass slaughter of animals and early adolescent misogyny. Stop perpetuating rape culture, Dallas!

Proposed replacement nickname: Dallas Buyers Club

Denver Broncos

Broncos? An NFL team sharing a name with O. J. Simpson's preferred vehicle of escape from justice? When will Mr. Elway join in the search for the real killers?

Proposed replacement nickname: Denver Cowlings

[Read more: Will Regulating NFL Locker Room Culture Work?]

Detroit Lions

Detroit is a horrible, horrible place. That is all.

Proposed replacement nickname: Michigan Lions.

Green Bay Packers

It's bad enough that the Packers share their logo with not one but two college teams. But the thought of the act of "packing" leads itself to two polarizing things in this country: gay sex and helping friends move. Pretty sure every other fight in America is started by one of these two things.

Proposed replacement nickname: Green Bay of Pigs

Houston Texans

A blight on the history of this great game, since another franchise was already named the Texans at one point. Why are we recycling team mascots? They're biodegradable!

Proposed replacement nickname: Houston Blue Bins

Indianapolis Colts

A colt is a young horse, and sending toddler animals out to compete against their fully grown counterparts reeks of child labor law violations. How is this fair to our underdeveloped equine heroes anywhere? It isn't.

Proposed replacement nickname: Indiana Gluesticks.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Lane Pryce killed himself over Jaguar! It's a pompous ass-carJar.

Proposed replacement name: Los Angeles Jaguars.

Kansas City Chiefs

If enough people start repeating "Chief is a slur! CHIEF IS A SLUR!" then we may see this nickname tossed out the window soon enough. While not as disparaging as its Washington counterpart, it still flunks the Politically Correct Eyeball Test.

Proposed replacement nickname: Kansas City Arrowheads. Wow, that was easy. And you don't even have to change the name of the stadium.

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins are smart mammals. They can communicate with humans and interpret commands. And yet there ARE NO DOLPHIN HEAD COACHES IN THE NFL. It's not Snowflake! IT'S NOT SNOWFLAKE!

Proposed replacement nickname: Miami Sound Machines. NOBODY'S USING THAT NAME NOW; IT'S TOTALLY LEGIT

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings were a bunch of blonde-headed pillagers with enormous ships and battle axes and a hardcore paleo diet. Basically, the Vikings were the founders of Crossfit, and are therefore insane.

Proposed replacement nickname: Minneapolis WODs.

[Read more: Colt Lyerla's Second Chance]

New England Patriots

Proposed replacement nickname: Foxborough Flops.

New Orleans Saints

This is cruel irony; the behavior of anyone visiting New Orleans is anything but saintly. How can the NFL allow such an unattainable standard of decency to taint the experience of getting drunk in the street?

Proposed replacement nickname: New Orleans Saint Patrick's Day All The Time Man WHOOOOO!!!

New York Giants

Why do the Giants were red numbers on their road jerseys when they were blue jerseys at home? They look like a blue-helmeted Ohio State out there! What gives?

Proposed replacement nickname: New Jersey Buckeyes.

New York Jets

Times have changed, New Yorkers. Today, the Jets are a total pie in the face to the families awaiting the return of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. I expected more from you, New York.

Proposed replacement nickname: [communication lost]

Oakland Raiders

Honestly, "Raiders" might be one of the greatest team nicknames ever, even with such an ugly raping-and-pillaging connotation. In the words of the Joker in Batman (no, not Heath Ledger, you douche), "I kinda like this one. Leave it."

Proposed replacement nickname: I SAID LEAVE IT. CAN YOU NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR WHAT?

Philadelphia Eagles

How many freaking sports teams have decided to use the name "Eagles" as their mascot? No, seriously. Think about all those teams at all of those schools, all around the country? Now add the rec teams, the AAU teams, and how many is that? Half a million teams? A million teams? Stop pilfering our childhood memories, Jeffrey Lurie. You're not George Lucas.

Proposed replacement nickname: Philadelphia Balboas.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Western Pennsylvania was producing half of all the steel in the United States in the early 20th century, much of which was used to provide munitions to help American forces. Away with your push-button death machines, yinz guys! And don't even get me started on Steely McBeam.

Proposed replacement nickname: Pittsburgh Eagles.

St. Louis Rams

St. Louis with all of its murders and awesome traffic supposedly has the "Best Fans In Baseball," which is like winning that "oldest guy" contest that the deejay decides to do at EVERY wedding. Enjoy your little prize there, chumps, because you're probably gonna die soon, anyway.

Proposed replacement nickname: St. Louis the Fourteenths.

San Diego Chargers

Are we talking about the horse or the car? Or maybe it's ex-Redskin tight end Chris Cooley and his curious tantrum about rounding up "maybe a Senator or two that wants to protect the ozone" to get the Chargers to change their team name. We stand in solidarity with you, Chris!

Proposed replacement nickname: San Diego Cooleys.

San Francisco 49ers

How many people died during the California gold rush in the mid-19th century? Oh, not many, just about A HUNDRED THOUSAND NATIVE AMERICANS for starters, to say nothing of the environmental damage done by about 300,000 gold prospectors. HOW MANY LIVES MUST BE LOST FOR YOU TO WEAR A GOLD HELMET, COLIN KAEPERNICK! SHOW ME THE TATTOO ON YOUR ARM FOR YOUR GENOCIDE.

Proposed replacement nickname: San Francisco Flat-Billed Caps.

Seattle Seahawks

In real life, the "sea hawk" is just another name for the osprey, another overlooked bird that knows the cactus wren's plight only too well. Ornithology run amok, I say!

Proposed replacement nickname: Oklahoma City Seahawks.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Few things are more buccaneer than taking an already-existing mascot (the Raiders) and stealing it for your own team. Raiders and buccaneers are the same thing, people. WAKE UP AND TASTE THE MADNESS, PEOPLE! Can't wait until we see the next expansion team, the London Scallywags. Stop stealing nicknames, Tampa!

Proposed replacement name: Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Tennessee Titans

Another recycled nickname here; New York's AFL franchise went by "The Titans of New York" for three seasons before changing their name to the Jets in 1963. And the state of Tennessee, whose merits lay somewhere between its backwater reputation and anything remotely titanic in nature, deserves a franchise named for its fans and the constant passive-aggressive moping that their team continues to inspire.

Proposed replacement nickname: Nashville Redditors.

Washington Redskins

We've covered this. It's clear that the only way to dodge the cloud hanging over FedEx Field is for Daniel Snyder to change the name, even if that means caving in to a so-called "progressive" or "politically correct" way of thinking. But hey, if you can't beat 'em…join 'em.

Final questions: Why would you want to label, say or do anything that's offensive to anyone? And if it were you that's offended, would you accept the offensiveness or would you strive to make the change to be unoffensive? How would you make them respect your point of perspective?

Nobody wants to be a part of an offensive label on earth, not even the pig!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm

It's well past time the name changes. When your entire team identity is built around a word that has a meaning that is demeaning and offensive to an entire culture, you should probably change. I've been thinking they should change it for a long time. It would be one step toward them not being the worst team in sports. Granted they'll still be the worst team in sports, but it'll be by a less wide margin. (I'm a Dallas fan, give me a break haha. I dislike them even more than I dislike the Red Sox, and I've been a Yankees die-hard my whole life. It's close, but Washington takes it haha.)

Also, as a reminder, we have banned political discussions on this forum because they tend to get loud, angry, and insulting. People tend to forget common decency when discussing the issues of the day, and "people" includes me. I've fallen into that trap in real life and on the forum. But, this issue does specifically deal with the NFL, so it'll stay up. Just note we'll be watching the discourse carefully.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:14 pm

A lot of my Hispanic friends that are Redskins fans are fans because it depicts our Hispanic ancestry of North American Indians.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 pm

elguapo wrote:A lot of my Hispanic friends that are Redskins fans are fans because it depicts our Hispanic ancestry of North American Indians.

Edit: if they change it to the redtails as many are suggesting I don't know if my friends will continue to be fans as they were zero blacks in north America.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 pm

elguapo wrote:A lot of my Hispanic friends that are Redskins fans are fans because it depicts our Hispanic ancestry of North American Indians.

There are many Native Americans who aren't offended. The problem, though, is that there are many who are as well. In my mind they should find a way to honor native history without using it as a prop or mascot, and without using a widely-hated word as their name. There are plenty of sports teams that honor native history without using offensive terminology or imagery (note, I'm not including the Cleveland Indians. First... they're not Indians. Second... Chief Wahoo was a bad idea and an awful logo. Glad they shut him down a few years back.)
elguapo wrote:Edit: if they change it to the redtails as many are suggesting I don't know if my friends will continue to be fans as they were zero blacks in north America.

Originally, no. But there are MANY now, and as far as I'm aware there aren't really many team names directly honoring their history. I'd be fine with Redtails for a new name, or I'd be fine with them choosing a non-offensive way to honor Native Americans. Or... well, really mostly anything other than what they have now.

And honestly, I doubt the name change will stop many of their fans from supporting them. Some sure, but teams can change their names and keep their fans in many cases. Look at the Yankees. They used to be the Highlanders. (Well, they were also the Orioles... but let's not talk about that haha.)
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Hey mikewest ... ;) as funny of a read as that is, it shows that the writer is not familiar with the history of the National Football League.

The Browns and the Broncos snipets are utterly ridiculous... the Bengals name was lifted from a previous club... naturally the Cardinals didn't originate in Arizona....

Nevermind, I'll go Karen elsewhere :lol: back to your scheduled programming.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

Return to “Washington Football Team”