JOHN 3:16

Cowboys uniform discussion

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Cowboys uniform discussion

Postby RevanFan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Is this thread in reference to real life or Madden modding? If it's modding, I'm going to have to move this thread.

If this is about modding though, I will say that uniform looks excellent. You going for an early 1970s look? If so, I'm not 100% sure the nameplate is entirely accurate, but the rest looks good. Although if you want total accuracy they obviously didn't have NFL or Nike logos back then haha.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 pm

RevanFan wrote:Is this thread in reference to real life or Madden modding? If it's modding, I'm going to have to move this thread.

If this is about modding though, I will say that uniform looks excellent. You going for an early 1970s look? If so, I'm not 100% sure the nameplate is entirely accurate, but the rest looks good. Although if you want total accuracy they obviously didn't have NFL or Nike logos back then haha.

Using Madden 2019 as a visual reference including some photos. The thread is about real life uniform facts or details.

Did you notice the two tone pants? What if I told you that uniform is the late 60's uniform and the colors are very close to being accurate.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:30 pm

NICK wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Is this thread in reference to real life or Madden modding? If it's modding, I'm going to have to move this thread.

Using Madden 2019 as a visual reference including some photos. The thread is about real life uniform facts or details.

Did you notice the two tone pants? What if I told you that uniform is the late 60's uniform and the colors are very close to being accurate.

I didn't notice the tones at first, but now I do.
My Cowboys Journal

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:49 pm

I wouldn't mind if they went back to the late 60's/early 70's design with the serif numbers along as they go with one consistent blue and one consistent silver. I'd say the dark royal like those days (Pantone 280/281 range) mixed with a cool/blue toned silver.

Pretty much 1968:

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 pm

What I have discovered the last couple of days is that, until high definition tv's came out, no one has seen what colors the dallas cowboys wore during the 60's, 70's, early 80's, because cameras did not have the technology to capture their true colors. Their colors were always royal blue, metallic royal blue, white, and silver blue grey but the camera color spectrum could not accurately display these colors together without special filters and lighting.

The darker royal blue or brilliant blue jersey, the first edition with grey stripes and numbers outlined in white with silver pants appeared in the 81-82 season following their championship loss to the Eagles during the 80 season while dallas was wearing their royal blue jersey with white stripes and numbers.

Dallas always lost big games while wearing the royal blue jersey, most notably super bowl 5. After their 1980 championship loss, Either Tex or Tom Landry decided the blue jersey would change. At that time period, it was talked about all the time after dallas lost a big game when wearing the royal blue.

The navy jersey they wear now first appeared in the mid to late 90's

Every picture, film, video with very few exceptions are a visual lie with respect to the colors the cowboys wore. As the color technology increased, the pants changed respectively. Unless you were physically at the games, you did not see their true colors.

I know this sounds crazy, but after I found the below images, I understood how and why in todays era the Cowboys came to wear those awful green pants. That green, or a close representative of it has always been in the uniform starting in the mid 60's when they changed from the white and royal blue uniform......royal blue, not navy the way the throwback has been worn in the last decade.

I will explain why later in the post but ponder the following images if you will representing pants from the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:16 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

In the image of Cliff Harris, one of the best images that more closely illustrates the true colors but is still a few shades off. You can plainly see in the photograph the contrast of the material colors in the crotch area. On film it looks more blue than the actual greenish color. Looks good on film and on tv, not so sure at a live game. My guess on this picture is preseason between 1977 to 1979 at mile high stadium against the broncos after super bowl 12.
The shoulder numbers went back on the shoulders for the royal blue jersey in 1980 and a white collar was added as well. Harris retired with Staubach at the end of 1979. Dallas did not play Denver at mile high stadium between 74 and 79 during the regular season and are the years the pants in the photo would have been worn.

EDIT: Something in these photos I just noticed. Only one image displays the true color of the pants. The closeup of the tag with 43 on it, look at the outside material next to it. Even the green color looks more blue. Not so much the other closeup because that is the inside shade. The other photos are further away, therefore there is not adequate enough lighting filtering into the camera to show the actual color of the pants, so they appear more silver grey, then what they are, silver blue.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:29 pm

For how many years did they have the two-tone pants? Did it start in 1964 or 1967? According to Gridiron-Uniforms, they stopped using the two-tone pants after 1973. Is that accurate as far as you can tell?
My Cowboys Journal

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Also... is there any chance you'd be willing to make some new pants for my Historic Cowboys project for the uniforms with the two-tone pants? If that's possible in 08 of course. I'm happy with the uniforms for the most part, but the pants from the late 60s and early 70s are definitely a bit off.
My Cowboys Journal

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52 pm

In this image you can see the contrast in material color on the lower right knee and thigh of 61 Jim Cooper blocking LC Greenwood. You can just barely make out the contrast in the crotch area of Staubach and the right thigh of 35 Scott Laidlaw. Drastic contrast but on film and tv looks blue gray silver. In real life, green blue gray. The royal blue does not show up either, just dark blue and even darker blue on the helmet star. The picture lies with respect to the true colors of the cowboy uniform. This picture was taken at three rivers stadium October 1979.

Return to “Dallas Cowboys”