Cowboys uniform discussion

NICK
All-Pro

Re: Cowboys uniform discussion

Postby NICK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:36 pm

RevanFan wrote:That's really fascinating. The NFL didn't have all of its uniform regulations back then, so when you have a big roster, you might as well just use whatever equipment you have, right? I'm just disappointed there aren't any good back views of the white helmet there. Could have gotten an answer once and for all on the nametag haha.

They used old game stuff for years and I think they added decals as they progressed in training camp. They still do that today with the star on the helmet. A rookie enters training camp without a star on his helmet, not sure if that is true for all rookies, but definitely undrafted or walk-ons.
JOHN 3:16

Sponsor

Sponsor

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:57 pm

The 66 Championship game in the cotton bowl

One year later in the ice bowl. Notice the player in the background behind Lombardi has bluish pants from the backside.....that is that awful green color that is very rarely captured on most photos of that time.

Looks totally different here

Same pants used in the next two images of SB 5

As you can plainly see, virtually none of these photos agree with one another or accurately display the truth. All about the cameras and the film of the day and time period.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:06 pm

NICK wrote:
RevanFan wrote:That's really fascinating. The NFL didn't have all of its uniform regulations back then, so when you have a big roster, you might as well just use whatever equipment you have, right? I'm just disappointed there aren't any good back views of the white helmet there. Could have gotten an answer once and for all on the nametag haha.

They used old game stuff for years and I think they added decals as they progressed in training camp. They still do that today with the star on the helmet. A rookie enters training camp without a star on his helmet, not sure if that is true for all rookies, but definitely undrafted or walk-ons.

It's all rookies. Started a few years back when they wanted to make rookies "earn the star". It's too bad that, once they earn the star, the coaching staff and GM Jerry completely waste their potential.

So... basically what we learned about the pants is that the NFL really should have standardized its camera equipment much sooner?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:40 pm

RevanFan wrote:So... basically what we learned about the pants is that the NFL really should have standardized its camera equipment much sooner?

Not that simple. Some colors are hard to detect with respect to shades and tones. Finding that to be true with certain blues and greys. Distance from the object, lighting, shutter speed, lense, lense filters, quality of film, quality of camera, all are very important factors. Cameras and film were in a brand new color era at the time and were progressing. No different than our cell phones. In 1999 we started using a brand new compact cell phone from Nextel with a collapsible antenna that could be worn on the belt. Brand new technology at the time. Now we walk around with computers that are also cell phones. Kodachrome film was transitioning in 1962, again in 74, and throughout the time period right up to the digital age.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:17 pm

NICK wrote:
RevanFan wrote:So... basically what we learned about the pants is that the NFL really should have standardized its camera equipment much sooner?

Not that simple. Some colors are hard to detect with respect to shades and tones. Finding that to be true with certain blues and greys. Distance from the object, lighting, shutter speed, lense, lense filters, quality of film, quality of camera, all are very important factors. Cameras and film were in a brand new color era at the time and were progressing. No different than our cell phones. In 1999 we started using a brand new compact cell phone from Nextel with a collapsible antenna that could be worn on the belt. Brand new technology at the time. Now we walk around with computers that are also cell phones. Kodachrome film was transitioning in 1962, again in 74, and throughout the time period right up to the digital age.

So, of all the photos I posted from 1964 to 1987, which would you say are actually reliable?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:28 pm

RevanFan wrote:So, of all the photos I posted from 1964 to 1987, which would you say are actually reliable?

If the royal blue pops royal in the photo, chances are everything else is accurate. If it pops darker than royal chances are everything else is off too.
The last one of danny white in the white jersey with bold royal blue numbers looks accurate to me, the others look washed out to varying degrees including the danny white blue jersey. Gridiron stuff I don't count. I would have to test what they have on madden and in graphic uniform images. Their 60's and 70's information is definitely not color accurate.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Click on each thumbnail and then click the image for full size

Some of the colors may be off a little bit, but that is because of how the game lighting messes with the colors, so they are real close on some and not so much on others. Had to go with what looks good and captures the feel of the real uniform. The main problem is the game really darkens the pants for some reason. The 80's home pants were a nightmare because of the lighting issue and are to me off, but I did the best I could after several days of trial and error. There are lighting settings for the pants as far as shine, but I have not figured that out. The color rush pants don't have shine settings for them so I used them for the 70's pants and think they came out the best.

The royal blue is consistent for all of the uniforms except the blue jerseys, they are slightly darker and then a lot darker for the 80's blue jersey.

There is no unis for the 2000's as I ran out of slots and just went with my favorites per the number of slots.

The 80's white jersey has serif numbers for the same reason.

Return to “Dallas Cowboys”