Next cowboys coach......

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Next cowboys coach......

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am

MikeWest502 wrote:I really can't imagine McCarthy having done very little with Rogers, having better success with Dak in Dallas. The Cowboys remind me of the Jim Caldwell coached Lions. They are a good team, that couldn't get past mediocre with Garrett. I think McCarthy is a solid coach, just not a good fit for Dallas!

"Having done very little?" They won a Super Bowl. That's more than most teams, especially in the last decade with freaking New England seemingly winning half of them.

Dak is a potentially fantastic quarterback, and a lot of people online seem to think McCarthy will be able to make him fully realize his potential. He came very close this season, but that stupid injury late in the year hurt him. They're keeping Kellen Moore around (not sure if he'll call plays or if McCarthy will.) I don't know if they're gonna keep Jon Kitna as the QB coach but I hope they do. Dak improved massively with Kitna coaching him.

Our team has a lot of issues. Dak is not one of them, and is very capable of winning it all. Our biggest issues are easily DT (both 3T and 1T), safety, CB (other than Jones [who is a free agent]), and TE. Tight end is a tough one, as I love Jason Witten, but the game has passed him by. Jarwin looks potentially really good, but they never give him a real shot.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Something that worries me is the contract situation. Sure, Zeke has a deal (*sigh*) but what about Dak (pay this guy first!)? Or Cooper? Although from the times I've seen the team, he tends to vanish from games, e.g. Vs Bills.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:18 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Something that worries me is the contract situation. Sure, Zeke has a deal (*sigh*) but what about Dak (pay this guy first!)? Or Cooper? Although from the times I've seen the team, he tends to vanish from games, e.g. Vs Bills.

Cooper has said he doesn't want to leave, and Dak is getting a deal done sooner rather than later. Only reason he didn't do one earlier is because he wanted to hold out to see if he could play well enough to earn more money. That was a good call on his part.

For Cooper... his stock fell later in the year, but he's still very good overall. I expect him to be back. If they can't find an agreement he could get the tag.

The one I'm concern with not re-signing is Byron Jones. He is also going to want a lot of money.
My Cowboys Journal

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 pm

RevanFan wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:I really can't imagine McCarthy having done very little with Rogers, having better success with Dak in Dallas. The Cowboys remind me of the Jim Caldwell coached Lions. They are a good team, that couldn't get past mediocre with Garrett. I think McCarthy is a solid coach, just not a good fit for Dallas!

"Having done very little?" They won a Super Bowl. That's more than most teams, especially in the last decade with freaking New England seemingly winning half of them.

Its a fair point.

His best team DIDN'T win a Title, 15-1 in 2011, top 5 offense all-time.

He oversaw a great offense, but couldn't even build a respectable defense to match. 4 NFCC Games, 3 of which he as absolutely taken behind the woodshed, completely outcoached.

The 2014 NFCC Game was the worst implosion in NFL history. 12-point lead with 3:52 to go. Seattle had 1 timeout left. If not for a miracle FG drive, the Packers don't even get to OT. A complete and unmitigated disaster.

He had a HOF QB in his prime ,playing at levels rarely seen before, as well as one of the best offenses in recent memory, and he only got to 1 Super Bowl. The people that criticize McCarthy have 2 really strong legs to stand on.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:21 pm

RevanFan wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:Something that worries me is the contract situation. Sure, Zeke has a deal (*sigh*) but what about Dak (pay this guy first!)? Or Cooper? Although from the times I've seen the team, he tends to vanish from games, e.g. Vs Bills.

Cooper has said he doesn't want to leave, and Dak is getting a deal done sooner rather than later. Only reason he didn't do one earlier is because he wanted to hold out to see if he could play well enough to earn more money. That was a good call on his part.

For Cooper... his stock fell later in the year, but he's still very good overall. I expect him to be back. If they can't find an agreement he could get the tag.

The one I'm concern with not re-signing is Byron Jones. He is also going to want a lot of money.

Coop was banged up with injuries for the most part and under-performed. Gallop was the shiner here! If Coop can get past the nagging injuries he could be great. For me he spent too much time out when the boys needed him most!

Revanfan, you quoted correctly, "very little" = 1 Super Bowl, with who I think is the best QB to ever play the game! McCarthy is not the answer imo!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:34 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:Revanfan, you quoted correctly, "very little" = 1 Super Bowl, with who I think is the best QB to ever play the game! McCarthy is not the answer imo!

I see "very little" as 8-8 or less very year and never making the playoffs. They were in the playoffs pretty much every year.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

Coop was banged up with injuries for the most part and under-performed. Gallop was the shiner here! If Coop can get past the nagging injuries he could be great. For me he spent too much time out when the boys needed him most!

Revanfan, you quoted correctly, "very little" = 1 Super Bowl, with who I think is the best QB to ever play the game! McCarthy is not the answer imo!

Cooper is good, but he's never going to set the world on fire on his own. Didn't do it on Oakland, won't do it on Dallas. I'll throw the entirety of the credit to Dak on this one.

As for McCarthy, the Packers' inability to stage comebacks (For which I'll point to both HC and QB) back in his time there could have something to do with "just" 1 ring. His Packers were always front runners that had it tough to adjust in the second if they didn't have the lead. Which is ALSO the same thing I think about Garrett. McCarthy could Garrett v2 for all I know, so ... we'll see.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:43 pm

RevanFan wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:Revanfan, you quoted correctly, "very little" = 1 Super Bowl, with who I think is the best QB to ever play the game! McCarthy is not the answer imo!

I see "very little" as 8-8 or less very year and never making the playoffs. They were in the playoffs pretty much every year.

Well bro, your opinion of very little is different than mine! Just going to the playoffs, and winning the division is NOT what it's about! McCarthy has a lot of work to do to get the Cowboys to the level of greatness he could not propel the Packers to! Let's table this until he gets his first season in! I'll hold my water for now!

AaronS's post has the talk points I'd use!

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:47 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Cooper has said he doesn't want to leave, and Dak is getting a deal done sooner rather than later. Only reason he didn't do one earlier is because he wanted to hold out to see if he could play well enough to earn more money. That was a good call on his part.

Cooper is good, but he's never going to set the world on fire on his own. Didn't do it on Oakland, won't do it on Dallas. I'll throw the entirety of the credit to Dak on this one.

As for McCarthy, the Packers' inability to stage comebacks (For which I'll point to both HC and QB) back in his time there could have something to do with "just" 1 ring. His Packers were always front runners that had it tough to adjust in the second if they didn't have the lead. Which is ALSO the same thing I think about Garrett. McCarthy could Garrett v2 for all I know, so ... we'll see.

Yeap Jose21crisis, more talk points for me next January! We will see!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:49 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

Well bro, your opinion of very little is different than mine! Just going to the playoffs, and winning the division is NOT what it's about! McCarthy has a lot of work to do to get the Cowboys to the level of greatness he could not propel the Packers to! Let's table this until he gets his first season in! I'll hold my water for now!

AaronS's post has the talk points I'd use!

I'll gladly take one Super Bowl. Dallas has never won a single one during my lifetime. They've never even gotten to an NFC Championship in my lifetime.

I was born two months after their last Super Bowl. Being a Cowboys fan has not been easy but I continue on unimpeded.
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Dallas Cowboys”