Romo retiring

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Romo retiring

Postby RevanFan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Double-U wrote:A. No NFL team drafted him, wasn't good enough! ;)

Your logic is entirely flawed. I guess Tom Brady isn't good enough? Kurt Warner isn't good enough? Oh, and Russell and Leaf are the best quarterbacks ever?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:20 am

RevanFan wrote:

Your logic is entirely flawed. I guess Tom Brady isn't good enough? Kurt Warner isn't good enough? Oh, and Russell and Leaf are the best quarterbacks ever?

Well, obviously you have to be "good enough" in college, or you won't get drafted. So Double-U's statement was actually true. If Tony Romo wasn't drafted, it must have meant he wasn't good enough - at least in college.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 pm

JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

Well, obviously you have to be "good enough" in college, or you won't get drafted. So Double-U's statement was actually true. If Tony Romo wasn't drafted, it must have meant he wasn't good enough - at least in college.

Then we're all agreed that Johnny Manziel is an excellent QB since he was good enough to be drafted in the first round? I mean, if college is going to be used to decide the careers of professional players, we might as well get straight to the point.

Must suck to be Warren Moon. Was so bad he was never drafted, and has a lower playoff win percentage than Romo. :lol:

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:35 pm

I simply don't understand how Romo is always compared to Brady and now Warren Moon. The BIG difference is that Brady and Moon went to the playoffs more often than that QB that just retired from the Cowboys.

Seriously is Romo a better QB than Moon because he has a less winning percentage in the playoffs? Who took their teams the the playoffs the most times? Who had a better winning percentage with their teams? Using deceiving stats like those is what Romo lovers try to justify their love for Romo.

Parcels even warned us not to anoint him but Romo lovers did it anyway including Jones. The only reason Jones didn't cut Romo was because number 9 merchandise was flying off the shelves. Jones isn't so dumb is he?

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm

For me, it's mostly just being puzzled with why people are so rabid with their hate for Romo. After enduring Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, John Beck, and the roller-coaster ride of RG3, I can say with all certainty that I and the fans of many other teams would kill for a QB like Romo.

Nobody is saying that Romo was as good as Brady or Moon. They're being mentioned to point out how ridiculous the criticisms of Romo are (he wasn't drafted so he must be bad, the team didn't win as many playoff games as the entitled fan-base expected; despite the rest of the team being awful, it's apparently Romo's fault, etc.) Through all the years of Jerry Jones getting trashed for running the team terribly with awful signings, there was only one constant that didn't change and managed to keep the team afloat: Romo. Was he great? No, not really. Good? Yes. Good enough to carry the team through the low points of the last decade.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:54 am

Romo is "bad" because he didn't win in the post season...

This types of play, made his career...

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 am

My Cowboys Journal

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

NickyJ wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Your logic is entirely flawed. I guess Tom Brady isn't good enough? Kurt Warner isn't good enough? Oh, and Russell and Leaf are the best quarterbacks ever?

Then we're all agreed that Johnny Manziel is an excellent QB since he was good enough to be drafted in the first round? I mean, if college is going to be used to decide the careers of professional players, we might as well get straight to the point.

Must suck to be Warren Moon. Was so bad he was never drafted, and has a lower playoff win percentage than Romo. :lol:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

How you perform in college usually determines how high you will be drafted. You have to be "good" in college to get drafted. So Romo, who wasn't drafted, obviously was not "good" in college, or at least he wasn't believed to be.

The NFL, on the other hand, can show players to have a completely different skill level from what they showed in college. Both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz performed well in college, but when in came to the NFL, one impressed while the other disappointed.

Tom Brady (who has been mentioned on this thread a few times before) is a great example of this, having been drafted in the 6th round. He was nothing great or exceptional in college, and was horrible at the combine. But in the NFL, he's one of the best, if not the best quarterback to play the game.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am

JSamuel wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
JSamuel wrote:Well, obviously you have to be "good enough" in college, or you won't get drafted. So Double-U's statement was actually true. If Tony Romo wasn't drafted, it must have meant he wasn't good enough - at least in college.

How you perform in college usually determines how high you will be drafted. You have to be "good" in college to get drafted. So Romo, who wasn't drafted, obviously was not "good" in college, or at least he wasn't believed to be.

The NFL, on the other hand, can show players to have a completely different skill level from what they showed in college. Both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz performed well in college, but when in came to the NFL, one impressed while the other disappointed.

Tom Brady (who has been mentioned on this thread a few times before) is a great example of this, having been drafted in the 6th round. He was nothing great or exceptional in college, and was horrible at the combine. But in the NFL, he's one of the best, if not the best quarterback to play the game.

That's not always the case. Often, someone can play great at a small school and not get any attention, simply because no scouts are going to follow him very closely.

Also... sort of aside from the point, but Romo actually received three offers as a UDFA, and Dallas was the lowest offer.
My Cowboys Journal

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 pm

RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
NickyJ wrote:Then we're all agreed that Johnny Manziel is an excellent QB since he was good enough to be drafted in the first round? I mean, if college is going to be used to decide the careers of professional players, we might as well get straight to the point.

That's not always the case. Often, someone can play great at a small school and not get any attention, simply because no scouts are going to follow him very closely.

Yeah, small school quarterbacks... they should have chosen differently. It's hard to get attention when you're playing for OPSU.

RevanFan wrote:Also... sort of aside from the point, but Romo actually received three offers as a UDFA, and Dallas was the lowest offer.

That doesn't really mean much, except that he wanted to play for America's team. Just like probably most people would.

Look at this chart:

Return to “Dallas Cowboys”