Refs and the end of today's game.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Okay.

So at first, I thought it was all over. I looked at the replay and I thought he was down b/c James' knee touched the ground. Then I realized in order for a player to be "down" and short of the goal line, you have be down by contact. :oops:

Which means Jesse James' actually scored. And the refs were wrong the whole time.

This is a total slap in the face, especially considering I am a Pats fan and I didn't know this at all... :oops: :oops:

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Refs and the end of today's game.

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I really though it was a TD. He had póssession of the football, and the ball crossed the plane. I'm pretty sure that counts as a Touchdown by NFL rules. The ball came out after the ball crossed the plane.

Maybe I'm confused with how the rules are suppossed to work.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 pm

He wasn't a runner
You need to complete the reception

I known is strange... But is the rule

GeneralSilent
MVP

Postby GeneralSilent » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

If you follow the rulebook it is a incomplete pass. I personally think the rule is bullshit but that's just me.
God bless america!

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:08 pm

just listen to this explanation lol the guy contradicts himself and he represents the NFL lol....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-ste ... ay-riveron

not a steelers fan but that call was crap, after he crossed the goalline the play is over td.....that the ball came out afterward does not matter, because once it crosses the goal line the play is dead/ball is dead....

this is similar to the dez bryant packers catch in the playoffs where he was ruled incomplete due to stretching for the first down marker and the ball hitting the ground....this is an idiotic rule to be sure as hitting the turf with force on your elbow or arms is bound to make you lose control/jar the ball out after having it secure while running.....

the steelers got screwed yesterday for real.....plus he was not touched so he would be allowed to get up and run or stretch to the goal line...

i remember a similar play with the raven a coupel years ago where jacoby jones was stopped at the goal line (late 4th) but he somehow stretched his arm (he was still standing) and although his progress was stopped at the 1yrd line by a linebacker because he stretched and the ball crossed the line he was given a td......how does that cross the goal line mentality not apply to this catch ? is beyond me......
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 pm

The ruling on the field was aTD but overturned. James did cross the endzone with both hands on the ball...as he hit the ground one hand came off with the other still holding the ball. This rule needs to be adjusted to the same as a runner jumping in the air to score. This was a great game but the refs should not have the final say in the final score.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 pm

The "Complete the catch" rule is too damn inconsistent. It appears like it is actually the refs' judgement and not an actual rule that matters. Now I want to forget that call, and the failed fake spike from Big Ben (He telegraphed that one from a mile away.). The Pats and the Steelers have another matchup in the playoffs ... probably. Hopefully if that one happens there is no "Complete the catch" BS or some hidden rule crap.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:47 pm

The basic idea of the rule is to catch the ball off balance you need to survive the collusion with the ground. Makes sense right?.

Then this play happens.
Catches the ball off balance.
Hit ground, ball comes loose.
THE BALL NEVER SEEMS TO TOUCH THE GROUND
Incomplete?

If there is a shot of the ball hitting the ground, it's a good overturn. Clearly got possession on way to ground and didn't survive the ground. However, the ball never hit the ground, how is it incomplete?
So the Giants traded Beckham....

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:54 am

GeneralSilent wrote:If you follow the rulebook it is a incomplete pass. I personally think the rule is bullshit but that's just me.

need to agreed...

same with fumble in the endzone, ball goes out of bounds... touchback

I don't like this rule...

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Old post and this is not going to change that game but, whatever.

I was reading this a while ago and realized that the rule doesn't really need to be changed, just clarified.

The TL;DR of that is this, basically Jesse did became a runner, because he managed to turn upfield. He had enough rotation and movement during the play to be considered to have turned upfield. But let's say that doesn't convince you and that he was still going to the ground. The rule says that the has to "mantain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone." The initial contact on the ground that Jesse had was with his knee and he had complete possession of the football, so the fact that when his elbow impacted the ground (Secondary impact), the ball popped and touched the ground is totally irrelevant. What happened is that the suits at New York don't know the rule.
Semper fi

Return to “Pittsburgh Steelers”