Browns fire Chud; possible replacements

dawg317
MVP

Postby dawg317 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 am

In what many have called a "surprising" move, the Browns fired their rookie head coach. From everything I have seen and heard over the past couple of days this is something that has been in the works for a few weeks. The owner and front office have been very unhappy with the lack of improvement and the coach's insistence on "playing favorites". It is being rumored that the front office wanted to cut ties with Brandon Weeden, Greg Little, and Shaun Laovau (sp?) to send a message that sub-par performance would not be accepted. Chud refused to make such moves. While the players have been publicly been outraged about the move, many are happy to see a change because they were told one thing and another would happen.

There are several rumors about possible replacements including Penn State coach Bill O'Brien and Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. I have heard from a reliable source they have also been in touch with former Raiders/Bucs head coach Jon Gruden (prior to the official firing). The Browns have a select list of names that they will consider. They would not have made this move if they had not been sure that one of their top picks would be willing to jump into the fire. Other names to watch for are Lovie Smith, Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin and Vandy's James Franklin. A dark horse candidate is Nick Saban. Owner Jimmy Haslam love him and has wanted him since day 1.

Don't be surprised to see a head coach hired quickly if he's not presently employed by a playoff team. Interviews will happen very quickly.
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

Sponsor

Sponsor

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Re: Browns fire Chud; possible replacements

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Saban just signed an extension through 2020 worth $7 million a year. His previous contracts with Alabama did not include a buyout but considering that only eight head coaches make more than $6 million, Saban is already one of the highest paid coaches in football. In fact, according to Forbes (I know, not always reliable but best available resource), only Sean Payton, Bill Belichick and Andy Reid make more. Would Haslam really give $7 million or more to a guy that has a mediocre at best NFL record?

As for the other two college coaches you mentioned, Sumlin will make $5 million a year with a $5 million buyout according to his new contract. This doesn't kick in until Jan. 1st so if the Browns were to sign him before then, the buyout is only around $2 million. Franklin's buyout is unknown but we can speculate that given his lack of head coaching experience, it is probably lower than Sumlin.

If the Browns were willing to pay upwards of $5 million for a buyout or in annual salary, they would be wise to jump in the race for Bill O'Brien. He only has two years of head coaching experience but what he does have is an ability to get the most out of limited resources. He interviewed for the Browns job last year and it would not be a wasted effort to go after him again.

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

NOOOOOOOOO WHY????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Now that I've got the traditional Browns despair chant out of my system, here's my chant of hope: GRUDEN! GRUDEN! GRUDEN!
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:52 pm

DrBrownsFan wrote: here's my chant of hope: GRUDEN! GRUDEN! GRUDEN!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... or-nfl-job

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Fine then. COWHER! COWHER! COWHER!
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

patsallday
MVP

Postby patsallday » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

This is stupid. Chud lost his best quarterback and they had injuries at key positions. Traded their running back for draft picks. (or A pick). Give him at least another year.

This is why the Browns suck. Talented team, stupid ownership.
Patriots win SB 49 Hopefully....

mikehill
All-Pro

Postby mikehill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 pm

First thy make great trade and then extremely stupid decision to fire Chud...
Not to insult but thats Browns for you :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mikehillschannel
Bizarre music videos every Sunday

DrBrownsFan
MVP

Postby DrBrownsFan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:15 am

Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer wrote:The Browns requested to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, formerly the Browns DB coach.

Bowles, who's also being pursued by the Vikings and Lions, will satisfy the Rooney Rule for the Browns if he interviews here. The rule states that teams must interview at least one minority candidate before making a hire.

The Browns are also believed to be interested in fired Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who worked with Browns general manager Mike Lombardi here in the early 1990s under Bill Belichick. Penn State coach Bill O'Brien was on the Browns' radar again -- he interviewed with them last year -- but he's believed to be closing in on a deal with the Texans.

Gase has declined to interview until the Broncos lose, so he is unlikely to be hired by another team this year. Also, Bowles is likely not a serious candidate, but more a way for us to circumvent the Rooney Rule. I doubt that Arizona would let him walk, and Cleveland appears to be focusing more on offense so far in the process.

Personally, I don't think any of them would mark an improvement over Chud (except maybe Gase), but since we have to hire somebody, and these are the most likely candidates, I would prefer to see McDaniels. Thoughts?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/cleveland_browns_early_candida.html#incart_flyout_sports

TheMajorSupreme
All-Pro

Postby TheMajorSupreme » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:57 am

Jimmy Haslam and the Funky Bunch strike again! *Devious, comical music plays*
Patriots: SB XXXVI Champions, SB XXXVIII Champions, SB XXXIX Champions
Broncos Journal: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16804
Raiders Journal: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15490

dawg317
MVP

Postby dawg317 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am

What a "fun" couple of weeks it's been. Lots of info and mis-info flying around. As of today I think the main candidates are Gase and Whisenhut . Wiz looks doubtful, early reports show he's heading to the Lions. Haslam has is good friends with Peyton Manning and supposedly Peyton highly recommends Gase. I see the Browns being the only team willing to wait for Gase. My insider still thinks there might be someone that he been kept relatively quiet. Everything also points to Banner and Lombardi only playing a very minor role in the hiring of the HC. Haslam has heard too many negatives about the 2 of them. If things don't go well this season I can see them both being let go quickly. It's also quite possible that once the HC is hired and following the draft, there are changes to the FO including a change of duties for Banner and/or Lombardi. But I think that all depends on the HC.

We'll see. Public opinion has really gotten negative. But from the things I'm hearing behind the scenes, Haslam is extremely unhappy with the way Banner/Lombardi have done things to this point and Halsam is determined to turn things around. The last thing that he wants is to be the laughing stock of the league.
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

Return to “Cleveland Browns”