If only he had more time?

miribus
Rookie

Postby miribus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:17 pm

If it were any other QB it would be fair to forgive some of his mistakes since he has had the shortest amount of time to work with the team, much less the starters. I feel like we've seen enough of Brandon Weeden to know that his ability to learn from his mistakes is not progressing fast enough. Hoyer just had, in my opinion anyway, as good a game as anyone as a Browns QB, as sad as that is, to expect him to start next week. The game was as close as it was entirely because of him. He was both sides of the coin at the same time.
Fortunately, the receivers caught the ball this time, when he did get it right.
Fortunately the O-Line blocked.
Fortunately the plays actually counted because they finally eased off on the penalties.
The running game looked as average as it ever has (Sorry Trent).
Thank you coaches for finally attacking and being aggressive like you said you would, what exactly took so long? The offense looked alive today. If those INTs were just punts next time I feel like the running game could be competitive.

Thank you Skrine for improving, keep doing that.

All I'm really saying is, that we should have higher hope in Hoyer as the unknown over Weeden as the known. His choice over Campbell may well be partly because he is a hometown guy and it might play well with the fans, but I actually saw promise in this game.
If those INTs are punts, even one or two of them, this game and the next look better.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: If only he had more time?

Postby Danchat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:22 pm

miribus wrote:If it were any other QB it would be fair to forgive some of his mistakes since he has had the shortest amount of time to work with the team, much less the starters. I feel like we've seen enough of Brandon Weeden to know that his ability to learn from his mistakes is not progressing fast enough. Hoyer just had, in my opinion anyway, as good a game as anyone as a Browns QB, as sad as that is, to expect him to start next week. The game was as close as it was entirely because of him. He was both sides of the coin at the same time.
Fortunately, the receivers caught the ball this time, when he did get it right.
Fortunately the O-Line blocked.
Fortunately the plays actually counted because they finally eased off on the penalties.
The running game looked as average as it ever has (Sorry Trent).
Thank you coaches for finally attacking and being aggressive like you said you would, what exactly took so long? The offense looked alive today. If those INTs were just punts next time I feel like the running game could be competitive.

Thank you Skrine for improving, keep doing that.

All I'm really saying is, that we should have higher hope in Hoyer as the unknown over Weeden as the known. His choice over Campbell may well be partly because he is a hometown guy and it might play well with the fans, but I actually saw promise in this game.
If those INTs are punts, even one or two of them, this game and the next look better.

Hey congrats on your win, and I'm a Vikings maniac. ;)
I would stick with Hoyer, but please, hear me out.... The Vikings #1 CB Chris Cook missed the whole game. #4 CB A. J. Jefferson got hurt. Our starting SS got hurt.
So please don't think for a second Hoyer will do this again. I'm worried that his quick release (the reason he avoided so many sacks) will cost him with many interceptions.
The running game was horrible, FYI. You should trade for Toby Gerhart (it was reported earlier today that the Browns asked about him).

I think the key was the Browns played desperate. Everyone thought they would give up, but maybe Chudzinski gave them one heck of a pep speech. The Vikings stupidly assumed they would win, and now look where we are.

Anyways, Teddy Bridgewater, HERE WE COME!!!!!!! :D
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Whatever might be said about the Vikings (injuries, etc..) I think this was a good game for Hoyer and the Browns. In fact, I don't remember the last time I saw a quarterback play as well for Cleveland as Hoyer did since say Derek Anderson in 2007? Weeden has been given chances just like Colt McCoy before him, neither of them delivered. Hoyer on the otherhand made beautiful throws to his recievers, sure he made those 3 abysmal interceptions, but other than those he didn't throw the ball to nobody as is typical in Cleveland.

The running game looked better to me than it did with Trent so I'm happy about that.

I'm a happy Browns fan for a week! lol

Will Hoyer turn out to be the guy? Probably not. Is he the best option we have? Hands down.
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

miribus
Rookie

Postby miribus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 pm

The thing with Hoyer is he had poise. He looked like he belonged out there and his picks were throws he at the very least wanted to make.
The poise alone is something the Browns have missed. He doesn't seem affected, even after 3 picks, after giving up the lead. Our QBs if not our whole offense usually just falls apart if it was there in the first place in situations like that.
The line was helped by the fact he made a decision and threw it with enough time. I wouldn't say the running game was great, but the line itself of 15/49 or whatever it was, was expected. The Browns were able to execute a game plan focused on actually MOVING the ball which Hoyer did. His performance needs to get better. The mistakes could be that either he isn't very good, or it could be that he's just not had enough time to work with the starters, let alone see much of the field in his career.
Because I'm optimistic, I'm choosing to hope the extra time hits about an 80ish QB rating and this team gels into something respectable.
Better yet he'll be the QB of the future, but lets not go crazy :)

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Please realize that the running game is still a huge problem. The Vikings couldn't touch the passing game yet held McGahee to 9 yards and Rainey to 15.
Against a real team, it's gonna be worse. Hoyer will not make it without a running game.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Danchat wrote:Please realize that the running game is still a huge problem. The Vikings couldn't touch the passing game yet held McGahee to 9 yards and Rainey to 15.
Against a real team, it's gonna be worse. Hoyer will not make it without a running game.

To be fair McGahee didn't sign till Wednesday from the couch and he had some good runs but also got a lot of negative yardage because our line sucks at run blocking, Joe Thomas INCLUDED!
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

Return to “Cleveland Browns”