Quarterback Competition

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Quarterback Competition

Postby DrBrownsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Who do you think the Browns will bring in to compete with Weeden (I've heard that we have our eye on Mike Vick, Alex Smith, Matt Flynn, Matt Moore, Ryan Mallett, Nick Foles, and Jimmy Clausen)? Which of the two do you think will start next year? Will we keep, trade, or release the player who loses?

My opinion: we bring in Jimmy Clausen. With Cam Newton starting over him and former Browns quarterback Derek Anderson in the second string, the former second-round pick and second-year player can't be happy about his playing opportunity in Carolina, but he still has talent. I think Clausen will pull an upset and win the starting job, but since I can't see us giving up completely on BW right now (too much vested interest in his success, he was a 1st-round pick for crying out loud), we keep him around for the season.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Quarterback Competition

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Quarterback Competition

Postby Danchat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm absolutely confounded with Cleveland's strategy. They have gone through so many QBs (Brady Quin, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, (Seneca Wallace!), and Brandon Weeden) and they already want to unseat Weeden? I didn't like the pick of him, but are they going to give this easy?
BTW Derek Anderson is a FA right now. Clausen was a 2nd round pick who was thought to be a 1st rounder, but turned out he kinda stunk. Never got a real shot. He deserves one.
I would sign any of those QBs... as long as I wouldn't have to trade. Of the list, I'd take Matt Moore. (he's a FA)
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 am

Danchat wrote:I'm absolutely confounded with Cleveland's strategy. They have gone through so many QBs (Brady Quin, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, (Seneca Wallace!), and Brandon Weeden) and they already want to unseat Weeden? I didn't like the pick of him, but are they going to give this easy?
BTW Derek Anderson is a FA right now. Clausen was a 2nd round pick who was thought to be a 1st rounder, but turned out he kinda stunk. Never got a real shot. He deserves one.
I would sign any of those QBs... as long as I wouldn't have to trade. Of the list, I'd take Matt Moore. (he's a FA)

I absolutely agree, and I hate the revolving door that Cleveland in general has been since '99. What the coaches want to do is force Weeden to improve with the threat of losing the starting job as added motivation.
Moore would be good (he was unseated by Bradford in STL, right?), but I think that we are targeting a list of players that didn't ever get the shot they deserved and therefore are pretty useless to their teams right now which is the best way to find a diamond-in-the-rough type player without giving up any essential pieces. Clausen is worth very little to the Panthers because of Cam, his label as a bust, and his attitude problems, so we could get him for next to nothing, maybe a 5th-rounder or less.
I didn't know DA was released, last I heard he was 2nd-string in Carolina, backing up Cam. He could be a target here, I mean, look what he did in '07...
I don't see why Colt isn't seen as a contender for the starting position, but I think he has the skills to start. I thought it was because the coaches DIDN'T want a quarterback controversy, but now that's not the case and I'm at a complete loss.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am

DrBrownsFan wrote:I absolutely agree, and I hate the revolving door that Cleveland in general has been since '99. What the coaches want to do is force Weeden to improve with the threat of losing the starting job as added motivation.
Moore would be good (he was unseated by Bradford in STL, right?), but I think that we are targeting a list of players that didn't ever get the shot they deserved and therefore are pretty useless to their teams right now which is the best way to find a diamond-in-the-rough type player without giving up any essential pieces. Clausen is worth very little to the Panthers because of Cam, his label as a bust, and his attitude problems, so we could get him for next to nothing, maybe a 5th-rounder or less.
I didn't know DA was released, last I heard he was 2nd-string in Carolina, backing up Cam. He could be a target here, I mean, look what he did in '07...
I don't see why Colt isn't seen as a contender for the starting position, but I think he has the skills to start. I thought it was because the coaches DIDN'T want a quarterback controversy, but now that's not the case and I'm at a complete loss.

Bradford replaced Marc Bulger. Moore replaced Jake Delhomme in Carolina. I seem to remember him playing decently, but Carolina rolled with Clausen and Anderson the next season. Since then, he's been in Miami.

I think that Colt McCoy never got a fair chance. He was handed a broken team, gave an average performance, and was subsequently dumped. If Cleveland had actually tried to fix their offensive problems (at least they got an RB), then I think he would have improved. Not to the point of being a playoff QB, but enough to hold the fort down until a true franchise quarterback could be found.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Derek Anderson's 1-year deal was up. I'd imagine the Panthers would re-sign him, especially if Clausen is going to go.
Colt McCoy has fallen out of favpr (and fast) and looks to be cut. I can't see how else that's going to end. He'll get a #2 job elsewhere.
I myself wonder who the Vikings will sign. I'd take McCoy as a backup. You want Joe Webb? :lol:
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

DrBrownsFan
MVP

Postby DrBrownsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Danchat wrote:

Derek Anderson's 1-year deal was up. I'd imagine the Panthers would re-sign him, especially if Clausen is going to go.
Colt McCoy has fallen out of favpr (and fast) and looks to be cut. I can't see how else that's going to end. He'll get a #2 job elsewhere.
I myself wonder who the Vikings will sign. I'd take McCoy as a backup. You want Joe Webb? :lol:

Erm, no thanks... :lol:

Return to “Cleveland Browns”