It's over.

superben21
MVP

Re: It's over.

Postby superben21 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am

Ah my grandparents still talk about the days of Otto Graham and ten straight years of being in the Championship game! And then you have Jim Brown after that, what a great team. But still the idea of a Cleveland Bandwagoner 8-) that's something else. I think a lot of the Credit at the time has to go to Paul Brown's recruiting abilities before they had the draft. Truly something else. Would love too see him recruit at somewhere like Kent State and see if he could put out teams that rival ND and Alabama. He'd get some 5 star recruits and then some! He was also an elite coach which wasn't very common back then at all. Then again I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

On another note, how many Browns fans are still up there? 5? 10? Its nice to think we still have a partial base out there in other states. Hopefully some day we can return to that status of awesomeness :D
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

Sponsor

Sponsor

miribus
Rookie

Postby miribus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Yep, the Browns in the Paul Brown/Jiim Brown era, as my Dad tells it, were essentially the 90s Cowboys, 90s Raiders, 80s 49ers, etc of their day so you had a lot of fans where NFL was popular but franchises didn't exist. I suppose it's how you end up with Cowboys fans in like North Dakota or something.

Previous to '93 you found a lot more people admitting to being Browns/Giants fan currently, that disappeared as the Patriots got better. There are still backers clubs pretty much everywhere, the population dwindled but afaik they still have one of the largest fan bases country wide for the above reasons (again, like Dallas). Some stayed a lot didn't, I suspect the remaning fans of my lineage are middle-aged or older and the rest are Pats fans.

I bump into an old-timer every once in a while in a Browns jacket who has basically the same story, Giants too. I suppose if the Browns had stayed relevant, or in Cleveland, and continued to win (i.e. we got "now" Belichick rather than "then" Belichick, who wasn't bad really, but I'll never forgive him for Kosar or Tommy Var-freaking-dell) you'd see more of them.

Anyway now I've got us way off-topic :) but if anyone reading this m knows of a sportshow stream re: the Browns it would be appreciated. Something to listen to at work w/o Hockey.

Return to “Cleveland Browns”