2017 season

doktor75
Veteran

2017 season

Postby doktor75 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 am

I would say it was a C- season, all in all.
As proud as this franchise is, if the Ravens don't make it to the playoffs, it counts as a failure - and it indeed was. Let's try to split another failed season into phases:
1. Draft and off-season:
It was sexy to get a good CB in 1st round draft and pick up bunch of B- players in later rounds, and adding Maclin and Jefferson to the core as an experienced players that will help round up a serious playoff contender. Pre-season and first two weeks it all looked ah-so-good.

2. Week 3 fall and everything else till the bye week:
First of all, traveling to London on 2-0 to face 1-1 revamped Jaguars franchise was a VERY BAD decision (made earlier, of course). Bad losses to Steelers, Bears and Titans showed all weak links in Ravens franchise: political issues (with national anthem saga + kaepernick), the level of Off.coordinator's knowledge and DC's will to invent and improve on his last year. The so-famous defense broke down on EVERY extravagant play, offensive line was put down by Yanda's absence, Flacco showed every soul on this planet that he's overpaid and far from elite. Standing on 4-5 in that bye week, I just knew it will all come to one game and maybe ONE PLAY, and I knew we aren't good enough to overcome these troubles. But I also knew it will end 8-8 or even 9-7.

3. After the bye week:
I guess no one was surprised when the team started to actually PLAY seriously. It was a scenario that only went in Harbaugh's favor. The world was singing that this team, filled with above-average players was - COACHED good. Really? If Harbaugh is a great coach, why did he let the Steelers win the way they did? If he is a great coach, how come he allowed this disgrace (4th&12) to happen last night? Not to mention horrible decisions in games vs TItans, Vikings (the only opponent this year I would admit was unbeatable).
Ravens lost all important games. They picked up W's against troublesome teams, bad QB's and franchises that had no chance of making the playoffs at the time. John Harbaugh is NOT a good coach. Since the real leaders, as Reed and Ray went away, he led the Ravens to ONE playoffs in 5 seasons.

Now, let's face it - Ravens will not be a serious playoff contender or something more (!) until they get rid of Harbaugh and his suite. That said, DC Pees retiring - the first thing Bisciotti needs to do is to thank Mornihweg for his "efforts" and then go sniffing possible HC. Del Rio, maybe? Don't know. I favor him over Pagano - of course, if both of them ARE interested. The loss of Ray Lewis - heart and soul of this franchise cannot be compensated in this manner, losing season over season while different players try to take his place as a leader: Weddle IS a really good player, no doubt, but his "leadership" was shown vs Bears on that last play in OT and last night. He's not a leader. CJ Mosley? He's too shy to be a leader. Front office needs to find a complete player on DEFENSE that will guide the rest properly.
Conclusion: This HAS TO be the most exciting off-season in history of the franchise. Things HAVE TO change immediately.
Why did I type all this? Because I'm mad, damn it. One man wasted 5 years trying to turn all things into his favor, choosing his personal ego over the franchise goals. It has to change, right now.

2017 season

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Baltimore Ravens”