Cecil Lammey's Broncos Camp report (good stuff)

guganation
Rookie

Postby guganation » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 am

Cecil Lammey continues to produce the most detailed bronco practice reports from his twitter account (@ceclilammey). Great job Cecil! Here are today's updates:

@cecillammey Cecil Lammey
starting with the QBs, Brady Quinn had a bounce back day, struggled a bit on Mon but better consistency today, like his set up and release

Brady Quinn continues to look comfortable and challenge the defense over the middle and on the edges

Quinn did get reps behind Tebow today, but I wouldn't read too much into that, 2nd team reps split evenly for the most part

speaking of Tebow/Orton circus, John Fox denied the reports that Orton has been named the starter and said 'my story's been the same'

Regarding QBs Fox said after practice 'nothing's changed, we've been singing the same song from about 7 months ago'

now on to Tebow notes from #broncos practice, lack of accuracy is overblown guy ended his career as SEC's all time most acc QB

I saw Tebow complete a pass today to Britt Davis that he put on his back shoulder, where it had to be, pinpoint pass

Tebow haters will use 'blind squirrel' theory but please know this kid needs to be examined/analyzed fairly and thoroughly

as i've said before, Tebow's motion much improved, however 1 thing to note - QBs need all sorts of release points to get passes away in NFL

I honestly think Quinn has been the best, most consistent passer at camp when taking all days into account

Quinn getting rid of the football quickly, precisely, decisively, Tebow holding onto the ball too long almost every time

Tebow's 'new' mechanics are sooo engrained in his head that he flat out WON'T release it unless he's got that precise motion

There's times when the pocket's cramped and Tebow needs to flick it, where he'll move to give himself room to throw, just get rid of it!

Tebow hasn't developed that mental clock at the pro level yet, when he moves to buy time he's already out of time

When Tebow moves to scramble and run he's fine, but a QB needs to keep play alive with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield

Kyle Orton is hospital food, he'll get the job done but won't have you flying up in the air like that cartoon dog that just ate the biscuit

Yes, he'll make timely throws and did a better job of using all his weapons in practice today - didn't just lock on $$$ Lloyd

Adam Weber won't even make the practice squad the way he's playing, too slow, too careless with the football, time to move on...

RB reps interesting to note today 1)Moreno 2)LBall 3)Fannin 4)Minor 5)JJohnson - again don't read too much into that just interesting note

JJ did make 'em pay for putting him last, but more on that in a bit, time for some Moreno....praise?!?

Moreno had a good day, and a better day as a receiver than he did Monday, better balance when changing direction, NO SLIPPING!!!

showed good bounce to the outside when he saw daylight, finished off run with a shoulder which is a no-no for an injury prone guy

so again, gets 2nd level then wants contact, not creative once past LOS, juke didn't work he'll give a shoulder for contact

he looked swift on a swing pass he was able to turn quickly upfield, and middle screen where he took advantage of poor angles by D

I've got no problems with Moreno as a receiver, but swallowed up too much inside as a runner - Moreno is good 3rd down back

Von Miller smacked him around with a big hit off the edge, lightness aka Moreno went flying to the ground

Moreno was also hit hard by Rahim Moore (Moreno hit him hard in the hole Monday, Moore payed him back today)

mindset from Moreno is VERY positive right now, and I think that's a good thing for him

over the last 2 years he gave the impression that he was king ding-a-ling and had nothing to work on, now humble, hungry, excited

I LOVE physical RBs but Moreno's lack of size could get him hurt (again) - u can run physical and not take HUGE hits..ask Warrick Dunn

Lance Ball fumbled early in practice, but came back strong after that, fumble was lost and he was pissed, played like it too!

Ball drew some oohs and aaahs from the crowd when not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but FIVE defenders had to drag him down on inside TD run

Guys got strong leg drive, low center of gravity, and determination - all traits Foxy loves.

the book on Mario Fannin hasn't, and won't, change. He's a momentum runner who needs a head of steam to be fully effective.

trash at the LOS means Fannin won't get it, hole or open space means full steam ahead! He is like a locomotive, but needs room to run

His feet aren't good for one cut system, but he does have the hop cuts and will use them effectively, can get tripped up on his own 2 feet

Fannin scored a wide open TD when play fake to upback and toss to outside, defenders surprised by his outside speed, guy can motor!

Fannin scored again Off Tackle when the hole was blocked wide open and he just had to run straight through it, again head of steam was there

Brandon Minor won't go away quietly, he's a long shot to make the final roster but should be proud of his performance today

Jeremiah Johnson was LAST in the rotation - ugh! He played like a madman though and continued to impress

I like the way he'll use the bounce wiggle to create space at the 2nd level, he can really toy w/defenders & it's fun to watch!

Johnson is in full control when he gets to the open field and KNOWS what he wants to do well before he breaks off his move, gr8 anticipation

he's not just a more quick than fast inside/out guy, he can grind too - good leg drive to move pile after contact

quick defensive notes before I go WRs TEs to wrap up the day - Joe Mays is like Evel Knievel over snake river, breakin' bones!

Mays loves to crush people and it's fun to watch, ALSO...Deebo got the best of DOOM in the pit once, str8 up stoned him to the ground

however, next rep DOOM came back with sick spin move that left Deebo reaching for air - he was stunned, Doom was like 'uh-huh'

speaking of spin moves $$$Lloyd is amazing, he's like MJ on the dance floor - just making #### up as he goes and it's brilliant!

$$$Lloyd is obviously getting the attention of the defense but keeps finding ways to get open and haul in passes! spin catch was freaky

Eddie Royal continues his strong play I'm not saying 93 catches this yr but he'll get 70+ the way he's playing even in Foxy offense, ballin'

Eddie running the routes precisely, no more open route tree or jerk/option routes to confuse him, draw it up and he'll make it happen

really works to his strengths to stay away from the 'read the D on the fly and change ur route on the fly' that McD had him running

one problem (minor) I had with Eddie today was when he jumped to catch a pass that hit him in the gut - keep ur feet my man!

Decker is a fan favorite who can make plays in a number of different ways, attacking deep middle seam again today

he can also run out routes, but I like his size for downfield stuff, let the big man go get it, he can fly by unsuspecting defenders

Matthew Willis did a good job of coming back to the football and squaring up to create biggest target, his hard work every day is showing

Britt Davis also made a few plays and is showcasing his downfield speed in order to secure the final spot at WR

Finally Mark Dell keeps creeping into the notebook, just put him on the PS and let him develop, had nice dbl clutch catch on the run today

Got to catch up with longtime friend Dave Logan, voice of the #broncos on KOA today - had to pick his brain about Julius Thomas!!

Dave 1 of only 2 guys to be drafted in all three major sports - NFL, MLB, NBA -- Dave Winfield is the other guy - Logan knows versatility

Logan said he's been fascinated by JTsuperstar80 on the practice field, and he loves basketball finesse with football toughness

Logan also noted that JTsuperstar80 instinctively 'shows his numbers' and can box out smaller defenders

talking to Logan and very good friend @ScottHastings it was noted by Scott what a good guy JTsuperstar80 is - down to earth kid

@ScottHastings noted JTsuperstar80 told him that it was good he was raw because when told to do something he just does it as described!

of course my guy was making plays left and right, but I'll leave u w this - coachable, athletic, humble, smooth there's nothing to dislike

Virgil Green still can't block, he was lining up as in-line guy REACHING for guys and still failing to even TOUCH them....NEXT

here's the book on Green: wide open, love him- but will drop contested passes too often, also thinks about RAC too much which leads to drops

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “AFC West”