Controversy ?

NFLVICK7
MVP

Controversy ?

Postby NFLVICK7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Seems every time Ponder is out of the game and Webb comes in the offense actually plays good. He almost rallied them against Detroit and Did rally them against the Skins.

With Peterson out for what has to be the season after the way his leg bent (gross) they only have one explosive player in Harvin. They may Need Webb to set a spark and give them another play maker. And to me Webb has outplayed Ponder.

So I pose this to Viking fans and fall football fans. Who should start? Webb or Ponder?
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

Controversy ?

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Controversy ?

Postby RevanFan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 pm

NFLVICK7 wrote:Seems every time Ponder is out of the game and Webb comes in the offense actually plays good. He almost rallied them against Detroit and Did rally them against the Skins.

With Peterson out for what has to be the season after the way his leg bent (gross) they only have one explosive player in Harvin. They may Need Webb to set a spark and give them another play maker. And to me Webb has outplayed Ponder.

So I pose this to Viking fans and fall football fans. Who should start? Webb or Ponder?

I say Webb. Ponder has the most put into him, but Webb always seems to pull them out of a rut. He's not that great a passer, but he just seems to have 'it' when they really need 'it.'
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:57 pm

RevanFan wrote:
NFLVICK7 wrote:Seems every time Ponder is out of the game and Webb comes in the offense actually plays good. He almost rallied them against Detroit and Did rally them against the Skins.

I say Webb. Ponder has the most put into him, but Webb always seems to pull them out of a rut. He's not that great a passer, but he just seems to have 'it' when they really need 'it.'

I agree. But he has improved a ton from his rookie season. He seems like he could learn to throw better. And his accuracy may not be great, but I never really see him making a bad decision. He always throws to the open guy.

Ponder throws tons of picks, and just can't seem to move the ball. Webb moves the ball and really doesn't turn it over. Maybe he isn't a permanent QB but why not find out. If you can develop him you have yourself a problem for the defense with Webb and AP in the back field.

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Ponder clearly isn't ready. I say go with Webb, and get him some good wr's to throw to! Ponder makes poor decisions and as mentioned throws picks often. It's a shame that NFL teams covet college QB's that have mediocre careers as NFL ready. Ponder is just one of many that have floundered in the NFL after scouts and teams touted them as being capable! The Vikings clearly made a blunder when they picked him 12th in the draft! While Andy Dalton had a better college career but dropped to the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of the draft! Marv Lewis finally got his quarterback!

Some QB's don't take as long to learn the speed of the game, then analyze defensive coverages and become valuable. But then some of them just leave me to "Ponder" What the Hell were they thinking drafting such Gabbert, I mean garbage so high in the draft. There are 120 D1 College teams to choose from. But the NFL only seem to pick from schools that have a reputation, rather that getting the best talent available. It is a growth process, but it leaves me scratching my head as how a ton of these guys get opportunities. There is a CFL you know and they pay well! Maybe these guy's would do better if they had the extra (12th man) to throw to! In college there are quit a few qb's who play like Tim Tebow, but when they get to the NFL, they are asked to change positions, blows my mind!

Next year's draft will be interesting. Since Tebow was given a chance and has not demonstrated he has true QB talent. It will be difficult for me to watch if guys like RG3 don't get a chance to play QB in the NFL!

Talk about controversy... There's plenty!

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:53 pm

I think Ponder will be ready in a year or two. Webb has some great playmaking ability and can thrive even when the offense sucks. Starting Webb wouldn't be a terrible idea.
He did get plenty of help from Gerhart, who has proved himself in the past games.
But if this offense ever gets any better, Ponder would need to come out. Here's my thinking:
Weeb with bad offense is okay, but Ponder with good offense is better. With means that with Webb and good offense isn't better. I don't want to downgrade Webb but Ponder is going to be better than him.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:07 pm

I think that Webb should be used along the same lines that I prescribed Tebow as: Change-of-pace QB. Ponder is your main QB, but if your offense is starting to slow and get stuck in the mud, throw in Webb for a drive to change things up. Heck, you could even line Webb up as a receiver with Ponder under center, then maybe do a few trick plays. Either way, after the drive ends, you go back to normal for a while.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:25 pm

NickyJ wrote:I think that Webb should be used along the same lines that I prescribed Tebow as: Change-of-pace QB. Ponder is your main QB, but if your offense is starting to slow and get stuck in the mud, throw in Webb for a drive to change things up. Heck, you could even line Webb up as a receiver with Ponder under center, then maybe do a few trick plays. Either way, after the drive ends, you go back to normal for a while.

Ponder can't be your main QB if he is constantly giving the ball away. That is going to sink you faster than anything. It isn't just stalled offense, he is a turnover machine. Like Alex Smith of the past.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:26 am

NFLVICK7 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:I think that Webb should be used along the same lines that I prescribed Tebow as: Change-of-pace QB. Ponder is your main QB, but if your offense is starting to slow and get stuck in the mud, throw in Webb for a drive to change things up. Heck, you could even line Webb up as a receiver with Ponder under center, then maybe do a few trick plays. Either way, after the drive ends, you go back to normal for a while.

Ponder can't be your main QB if he is constantly giving the ball away. That is going to sink you faster than anything. It isn't just stalled offense, he is a turnover machine. Like Alex Smith of the past.

Rookie quarterbacks don't always put up the most stellar stats. Especially when the rest of the team has issues. I mean, you can't blame it ALL on Ponder.

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 am

NickyJ wrote:...you can't blame it ALL on Ponder.

We'll manage to find a way, don't worry :P
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:24 pm

NickyJ wrote:
NFLVICK7 wrote:

Rookie quarterbacks don't always put up the most stellar stats. Especially when the rest of the team has issues. I mean, you can't blame it ALL on Ponder.

Webb seems to do just fine when he comes in. I know Ponder is a rookie, but to be honest he shouldn't have been drafted in the first round anyway. I just don't see him. being any good.

Return to “Minnesota Vikings”