Poor Vikings

Littleware
Banned

Poor Vikings

Postby Littleware » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 am

Now that Donovan is gone, who's to blame for the sorry performances and losses? Ponder is not ready and without AP in he lineup, it will only get worst!

Poor Vikings

Sponsor

Sponsor

misterhappy
Rookie

Re: Poor Vikings

Postby misterhappy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Webb showed that he should have been given a chance to start before Ponder this last game. I was upset with the Ponder pick so early to begin with and now it looks like he is going to be at minimum a 3 year project not including this year just to get him to being an average QB. What a waste of their first round pick.

Breck
Rookie

Postby Breck » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:20 am

I was less than pleased with the Ponder selection at 12th overall... they should/could have traded down and still got him (I believe). Had Ponder been taken after moving down there were other options at QB that were just as viable if you were determined the QB position was the greatest need.

The blame for a lost season, in my opinion, resides with the poor offensive line play and horrid performance in the defensive backfield.

Though next season should be better (seriously, could things get worse), I do not see the Vikings being able to get there heads above water... expect a sub .500 season once again before things start looking prettier.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 pm

The Vikings have a long ways to go...........
Anyways, Between Webb and Ponder we'll have to wait for next preseason when they face off for the starting job.
I was less than pleased with the Ponder selection at 12th overall... they should/could have traded down and still got him (I believe). Had Ponder been taken after moving down there were other options at QB that were just as viable if you were determined the QB position was the greatest need.

The blame for a lost season, in my opinion, resides with the poor offensive line play and horrid performance in the defensive backfield.

We can't complain about the draft pick, we just need to think about the future now. What will they do with the next draft pick?
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Breck
Rookie

Postby Breck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Danchat wrote:The Vikings have a long ways to go...........
Anyways, Between Webb and Ponder we'll have to wait for next preseason when they face off for the starting job.

We can't complain about the draft pick, we just need to think about the future now. What will they do with the next draft pick?

I'd take CB Morris Claiborne [LSU]... but would be happy with either tackle in Jonathan Martin [Stanford] or Matt Kalil [UCS].

WhatAboutBigBob
Rookie

Postby WhatAboutBigBob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:41 pm

The person who got the most blame from me was Musgrave. His extremely poor play calling from the beginning to the end of the season is more the reason of a failed season then the play of McNabb, Ponder etc. People act as if the Vikings, sitting at 3-13, got blown out all season. They could have easily been in the playoff hunt by starting 4-0 had they continued to run the ball in the second half of games. This is a running team from start to finish, not "let's get all the runs out in the first half so we can Pass, Pass, Pass in the second half". What I don't understand is why Frazier didn't say anything to him because at the beginning of the season, Frazier said he wanted Peterson running 25-30 times a game and Peterson, about two or three years ago in one of the three magazines I received (ESPN, SI or SportingNews) said his ideal game is 35-40 touches.

Anyways, to the draft.

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years we've made some questionable picks but the past is the past. Two things we can do this year. If he makes it to us, which he should, Matt Kalil would be a great fit and would fill McKinnie's role (seeing as Charlie obviously couldn't) nicely. If for some reason he doesn't make it to us, Claiborne is the obvious answer. What drafting Claiborne would do is help us fill our biggest defensive concern, the safety spot. Drafting a corner like Claiborne, and as long as every is healthy in the secondary, would finally allow us to move Winfield to the safety position, something we've wanted to do since Sharper left but the lack of depth at corner and injuries has forced us to leave him at the position.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:08 pm

WhatAboutBigBob wrote:The person who got the most blame from me was Musgrave. His extremely poor play calling from the beginning to the end of the season is more the reason of a failed season then the play of McNabb, Ponder etc. People act as if the Vikings, sitting at 3-13, got blown out all season. They could have easily been in the playoff hunt by starting 4-0 had they continued to run the ball in the second half of games. This is a running team from start to finish, not "let's get all the runs out in the first half so we can Pass, Pass, Pass in the second half". What I don't understand is why Frazier didn't say anything to him because at the beginning of the season, Frazier said he wanted Peterson running 25-30 times a game and Peterson, about two or three years ago in one of the three magazines I received (ESPN, SI or SportingNews) said his ideal game is 35-40 touches.

Anyways, to the draft.

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years we've made some questionable picks but the past is the past. Two things we can do this year. If he makes it to us, which he should, Matt Kalil would be a great fit and would fill McKinnie's role (seeing as Charlie obviously couldn't) nicely. If for some reason he doesn't make it to us, Claiborne is the obvious answer. What drafting Claiborne would do is help us fill our biggest defensive concern, the safety spot. Drafting a corner like Claiborne, and as long as every is healthy in the secondary, would finally allow us to move Winfield to the safety position, something we've wanted to do since Sharper left but the lack of depth at corner and injuries has forced us to leave him at the position.

I've read many, many mock drafts and all of them point to the Vikings taking Matt Kalil. Though I'd love to have Claiborne on our team, they say Kalil is probably the best lineman prospect in the past 10 years next to Jake Long. If the Rams take Kalil, Claiborne better be drafted. But if there's a good chance if Kalil's gone, the Vikings might trade down too.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Danchat wrote:
WhatAboutBigBob wrote:The person who got the most blame from me was Musgrave. His extremely poor play calling from the beginning to the end of the season is more the reason of a failed season then the play of McNabb, Ponder etc. People act as if the Vikings, sitting at 3-13, got blown out all season. They could have easily been in the playoff hunt by starting 4-0 had they continued to run the ball in the second half of games. This is a running team from start to finish, not "let's get all the runs out in the first half so we can Pass, Pass, Pass in the second half". What I don't understand is why Frazier didn't say anything to him because at the beginning of the season, Frazier said he wanted Peterson running 25-30 times a game and Peterson, about two or three years ago in one of the three magazines I received (ESPN, SI or SportingNews) said his ideal game is 35-40 touches.

Anyways, to the draft.

I've read many, many mock drafts and all of them point to the Vikings taking Matt Kalil. Though I'd love to have Claiborne on our team, they say Kalil is probably the best lineman prospect in the past 10 years next to Jake Long. If the Rams take Kalil, Claiborne better be drafted. But if there's a good chance if Kalil's gone, the Vikings might trade down too.

Even if the Vikes don't Grab Claiborne they still can get a first round talent DB. Idk how much yall watch college ball but you know the name Cliff Harris? CB Oregon. That guy can ball, and would be talked about going in the first round if not for off the field issues. First thing people guna say is he got kicked off the team, but so did Blount, and we see where he is now. He is entering the draft so that is a name to look out for.
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

WhatAboutBigBob
Rookie

Postby WhatAboutBigBob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Danchat
I'm just saying if the Rams would take Kalil, which they won't but hypothetically let's say they do, then Claiborne would be our next best option at the three spot.

NFLVICK7
I felt bad for Blount because I felt like he was, and he had been projected going into that last year at Oregon, to be a first day pick. I do think Cliff Harris would be a nice pick-up, but I've got to throw Jenkins up there too. Again, another player with "off-the-field" issues but they guy will probably be a stud.

This discussion would all have been different had we just drafted Prince Amukamara last year and kept our faith in Webb, but let's not dwell in the past.. even if it's screwing us right now.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 pm

WhatAboutBigBob wrote:Danchat
I'm just saying if the Rams would take Kalil, which they won't but hypothetically let's say they do, then Claiborne would be our next best option at the three spot.

NFLVICK7
I felt bad for Blount because I felt like he was, and he had been projected going into that last year at Oregon, to be a first day pick. I do think Cliff Harris would be a nice pick-up, but I've got to throw Jenkins up there too. Again, another player with "off-the-field" issues but they guy will probably be a stud.

This discussion would all have been different had we just drafted Prince Amukamara last year and kept our faith in Webb, but let's not dwell in the past.. even if it's screwing us right now.

Webb should have a shot at the Starting job. If anything maybe light a fire under Ponder's ass.

But i think Cliff is going to be a steal in this year's draft
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

Return to “Minnesota Vikings”