Jordan Love: "A long way to go"

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Jordan Love: "A long way to go"

Postby AaronS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:43 pm

Well, Love do anything to change this narrative yesterday.

The Packers better do what they can to get Rodgers back for 2022.

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:56 pm

My how times have changes on the expectstions of progression for QB's. Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning and many other great QB''s had horrible 1st seasons. Matt Stafford led the Lions to 0-16, but people think he's just it right now, even as a 13 year journeyman QB that never wins the big game! But they were given time/years to develop into a solid QB before attaining their greatness (not talking about Stafford here). And the maturation process isn't the same for all QB's.

Give the guy a break, he'll need more play time, but that can't happen as long as Rodgers is still in GB. I'm a Chiefs die-hard, even in the loss, Love out played Mahome's last night.

How long do the Packers hold on to Rodgers? 37 yrs old, only got one ring in his 16 years of play.

A long way to go, but small steps were taken by Love.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:23 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:Matt Stafford led the Lions to 0-16,

Actually their 0-16 year was the year before that. They drafted him with their #1 OVR pick, which they got because they were winless. Stafford's first year was 2-14. Admittedly not much better, but not winless.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:48 am

MikeWest502 wrote:Give the guy a break, he'll need more play time, but that can't happen as long as Rodgers is still in GB. I'm a Chiefs die-hard, even in the loss, Love out played Mahome's last night.

How long do the Packers hold on to Rodgers? 37 yrs old, only got one ring in his 16 years of play.

He didn't outplay Mahomes. When the Chiefs needed to make a play to ice the game, Mahomes did that. The game was there for the taking, and Love couldn't take it. Rodgers would have had a career day if the Chiefs single-covered Adams the way they did with Love.

If you're picking the Packers starter for 2022.... is this your guy? He didn't show anything that led me to believe he would be successful, winning QB next year.

.. things might change drastically for this team. They are not in good shape cap-wise, and they may choose to reboot. But if they plan to compete in 2022, this can't be their guy.

At least with Favre, he openly flirted with retirement, over multiple seasons. The Packers drafted Love 2 years into Rodgers record contract. Its one of the most braindead football moves I have ever seen.

... I'll be rooting for the kid to prove me wrong, but I just don't see it right now.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:57 pm

AaronS wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:Give the guy a break, he'll need more play time, but that can't happen as long as Rodgers is still in GB. I'm a Chiefs die-hard, even in the loss, Love out played Mahome's last night.

He didn't outplay Mahomes. When the Chiefs needed to make a play to ice the game, Mahomes did that. The game was there for the taking, and Love couldn't take it. Rodgers would have had a career day if the Chiefs single-covered Adams the way they did with Love.

If you're picking the Packers starter for 2022.... is this your guy? He didn't show anything that led me to believe he would be successful, winning QB next year.

.. things might change drastically for this team. They are not in good shape cap-wise, and they may choose to reboot. But if they plan to compete in 2022, this can't be their guy.

At least with Favre, he openly flirted with retirement, over multiple seasons. The Packers drafted Love 2 years into Rodgers record contract. Its one of the most braindead football moves I have ever seen.

... I'll be rooting for the kid to prove me wrong, but I just don't see it right now.

Well I personally think they drafted love because Rodgers was 35 years old. And there have not been many QB's in the history of the game who get to that age and still play at a top level like Rodgers has done. But technically, because he NFL changed rules babying QB's, Rodgers and current QB's benefit from wearing the red "don't touch me" jersey during real games. Their playing careers have been greatly extended. But every other player has to go through the real brutalities of the game for their entire careers.

The NFL is not a good representation of what real football is any more. They're like 100 proof Vodka watered down to 40 proof. I love football but I don't enjoy watching the NFL games as much because of the red tape defenses have to endure. Anyhow, Love needs everyone to back off, give him space and time to develop. If not, go with the 40 yr old, who's only got one ring in 16 years. Yeah, go with that guy.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:05 pm

That was the bizarre thing about the Rodgers contract though; the Packers rushed to the table with a record deal, not knowing how he was going to respond after a serious shoulder injury... and after another NFC Title Game, when it was clear Rodgers still had it, they turn around and draft a QB?

Just bizzaro land. For me anyway.

I like Love as a prospect. I'll be rooting for him. But the Packers really bungled this.

.. I suppose with the PR firestorm Rodgers started, and continues to throw gasoline on, Love may be the guy in 2022 no matter what.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:18 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:If not, go with the 40 yr old, who's only got one ring in 16 years. Yeah, go with that guy.

The Packers have had 3 legit shots at a Super Bowl the last decade (2011, 2014, 2020) despite having the highest rated QB of all-time.

An unproven commodity is going to improve their chances?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 pm

AaronS wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:If not, go with the 40 yr old, who's only got one ring in 16 years. Yeah, go with that guy.

The Packers have had 3 legit shots at a Super Bowl the last decade (2011, 2014, 2020) despite having the highest rated QB of all-time.

An unproven commodity is going to improve their chances?

Well, the two recent back to back NFC championship L's are a part of Rodger's legacy of failures. Don't twist my words. Rodgers has been great, he has very little to show for time spent, when it comes to SB wins and even apperances. As for the franchises who put their eggs in the basket of the rookie QB, it's an old concept, very risky, sells t-shirt, tickets, beer hotdogs, very rewarding if the rookie shows progress. Rodgers is in a long line of QB's in history, that the game will pass by due to age, lack of success or injury.

Where did you get that Love, unproven, is going to improve their chances? If you're referring to going to the SB, then it's really 50-50 as Rodgers has only been once, so... :P

And many teams go with that unproven rookie regardless. Again, I see the business side of the NFL too. The product has to sell. Look at the Jaguars, Menshew for all those years, no success, but sold plenty of tickets and beer???

And if, if, Rodgers does leave at the end of the season, then what? Draft a rookie QB, or go with Love and do what the Titans do for Tanehill by hiding Love behind a solid run game and play action pass strategy until he gets it?

Return to “Green Bay Packers”