Aaron Rodgers

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

RevanFan wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:it doesn't really matter as rodgers would still have a stellar season but falter in the playoffs as usual...sure he can win some playoff games but the big ones he always crumbles......at least the packers will get a high draft pick next year....if they tank the rest of the season.....or sign kaepernick....he would at least get them a wild card spot in the playoffs over all the other guys on the FA market....romo won't happen due to injury history...but a lot of people on twitter and wisconsin are vying for romo lol....

the vikings will start off hot like last year and probably start losing around week 8 or so...the lions may be able to sneak a division title this year due to rodgers injury and the vikings general knack for inconsistency....

Rodgers won a Super Bowl. Don't forget that.

They won't sign Kaepernick. He's in the process of attempting to sue the NFL owners. I don't see anyone signing him. Plus they like Hundley.

They'd better not go after Romo. He's too good as a commentator, plus I want him to be one of the few modern players who spent his whole career as a Cowboy. The only QB injury that should tempt him would be an injury to Dak!

yea but that SB was 7 yrs ago...and he hasn't done much except for a few nfc champ games where he played ok but no where near where he was capable of during the regular season....

to me rodgers is another peyton manning....a great player during the reg season but when it counts in the playoffs he more often falters than rise to the challenge...

i'll be the first one to also admit eli manning is no longer elite....his deep ball is severely lacking and most often he does the 20 yard mid range pass....which having a guy like OBJ is great to make guys miss but I miss seeing him heave deep balls down the field to guys like cruz (who was released) and even back when they had mario manningham....making some great catches deep down the field....now eli is starting to resemble the dink/dunk game like peyton was towards the back end of his broncos tenure (probably started around '14 season -16 it got way worse...)...

I get it that its age and stuff, but I still think philip rivers (same draft class) throws a better deep ball/further than Eli....

as much as I think Rodgers is overrated in general....he throws one of the best deep balls in the league still at his age maybe that's due to sitting a few seasons under favre and less wear/tear but man his hail mary's last year at his age still going the distance is pretty good....

if the packers dont make a splash trade or signing I think they dont even make the playoffs even with hundley as the starter....wild card spot wont even be sniffed....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

I hear Matt Flynn is still on the market...

Also, I still maintain that Rodgers is the 2nd best QB in the league, behind only Tom Brady, though that may change by the end of this season. The Packers have no defense, and their offense has stagnated since their 2010 Super Bowl. Half their offensive line is injured, their RB is a WR that they converted a season ago out of sheer desperation and being too cheap to invest in a half decent replacement over the offseason, and the rest of their WRs are either spending the season on the bench with injuries or are ineffective throwbacks to the 2014 season.

When Rodgers isn't pulling off miracle wins in spite of his team, he's scrambling in the backfield because his offensive line folded like a sheet of paper. Last Sunday, he just didn't scramble fast enough.

To take a quote from Deadspin, which is hit or miss but hit incredibly on the mark:
What’s new that sucks: LOL who are you kidding? It’s the Packers. They do nothing. Ted Thompson spends the entire offseason napping in a barcalounger. True, they brought in Martellus Bennett to replace Jared Cook, and they grabbed Jahri Evans to help make up for the loss of T.J. Lang, and they cut Eddie Lacy for being the weight of your average season ticket holder, but come on. Everything the Packers do is to ensure model consistency, so that Rodgers will spend another season running for his life

The Packers are doing everything they can to waste their QB's prime years. The Chargers are doing it Phillip Rivers, the Colts did it to Peyton Manning and are now doing it to Andrew Luck early in his career, and the Saints are doing it to Drew Brees. It's like they hate themselves for having talented players and want to make it fair to the rest of the league. Deshaun Watson better watch out. He has talent, and if he shows too much of it, the Texans are going to go stingy on him.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm

I don't think the hit was dirty, but I was surprised it wasn't flagged in this "don't hit the QB" era.

The Packers season is over. If you don't believe that, find the 2013 quotes from Ted Thompson after Rodgers was lost for half of that year. He essentially said there's no backup plan for losing a player of this caliber. Yes, we'll see what Hundley can do. But you go from a Super Bowl contender to fortunate to be a Wild Card, and most likely, 6-10.

The Packers would bring Favre back or drag Tony Romo out of the booth before they'd bring in Kaepernick.

I'd give it a 5% chance if not for the anthem issue this year. There is no chance whatsoever the Packers would bring him in with the fire blazing as it is. No chance whatsoever. Its the smallest media market in the NFL, and its not even close. They would NEVER entertain that sideshow. And the Packers already have proven they can't handle the pressure with the 'Favre out-of-retirement Saga' in 2008. They fumbled at every turn.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

NickyJ wrote:Also, I still maintain that Rodgers is the 2nd best QB in the league, behind only Tom Brady, though that may change by the end of this season. The Packers have no defense, and their offense has stagnated since their 2010 Super Bowl. Half their offensive line is injured, their RB is a WR that they converted a season ago out of sheer desperation and being too cheap to invest in a half decent replacement over the offseason, and the rest of their WRs are either spending the season on the bench with injuries or are ineffective throwbacks to the 2014 season.

The Packers are doing everything they can to waste their QB's prime years. The Chargers are doing it Phillip Rivers, the Colts did it to Peyton Manning and are now doing it to Andrew Luck early in his career, and the Saints are doing it to Drew Brees. It's like they hate themselves for having talented players and want to make it fair to the rest of the league. Deshaun Watson better watch out. He has talent, and if he shows too much of it, the Texans are going to go stingy on him.

As far as the injuries, I'm questioning, and have been questioning, what goes on in their weight room and with their strength and conditioning guys? I don't believe in luck, but the Packers certainly don't have any!! It seems like every other year they are the most injured team in football. Even 2010, the year Rodgers won his Super Bowl, they were an absolute mess.

As far as the team underachieving, I think its on the coaches. Even in wins they are often out-coached, and they certainly don't develop players. Either the guys Thompson and scouts pick are players immediately, or they never get anything out of them.

Dom Capers is an abomination. Anyone who believes commentators that speak about him as a 'genius' are being duped badly. I challenge anyone to find a coordinator with more horrendous losses on his resume. Seriously. The guy doesn't just lose post-season games. He loses H-U-G-E!

I'm going to reserve judgement on McCarthy until I see what goes on the next 2 1/2 months. I'm not a fan of his at all, but this is something that will define him. I don't expect this team to make the Playoffs, but its important to me that they are competitive, and they have some young players (Blake Martinez, Josh Jones, Aaron Jones) who have played well this season. I think it is imperative that continues.

If the team quits on McCarthy and they go 4-12, I'm all for sweeping changes.

As for Thompson, I think his record speaks for itself. He's a proven personnel man. He was a high-level staffer on Wolfs teams in the 90s. He shaped a Super Bowl roster with Holmgren in Seattle, then won a Title of his own in 2010. I'm disappointed the Packers have only won 1 with Rodgers, same with Favre. But other than New England, who has been consistently better?

And keep in the personnel men who were on Thompsons staff and have since moved on; John Schneider, John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie. Those 3 shaped 3 of the best young rosters in the sport. Surely the Packers miss them. Its business, no excuses, but it has to be part of the reason the team has fallen off since 2010.

.. I don't like that rallying cry. I've b!t$hed about it often. But that is the answer to Thompsons critics.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:05 pm

True, Thompson does have a good history, but that good history takes a nose-dive after 2010. For the next couple of years, it looks like the Packers tried plain consistency, which isn't a bad thing after winning the Super Bowl. But it failed, and they have yet to turn it around. Without Rodgers propping up the team for the past five years, the shell that they have left of the Super Bowl team would be done and Thompson would have been fired by now. Put Aaron Rodgers in a Bengals uniform, and I'm certain the results would be the same. Both teams are focused on consistency and ignoring the part where they are consistently mediocre.

What the coaches do ends up on Thompson's head. McCarthy is stagnating, and he's letting Dom Capers sink his half of the boat. At some point, Thompson or whoever is GM if he doesn't get the guts to, is going to have to rock the boat. Watching Aaron Rodgers dither away on a Marvin Lewis-like team is just so disappointing when the entire NFC is ripe for a dominating team to grab.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

NickyJ wrote:True, Thompson does have a good history, but that good history takes a nose-dive after 2010. For the next couple of years, it looks like the Packers tried plain consistency, which isn't a bad thing after winning the Super Bowl. But it failed, and they have yet to turn it around. Without Rodgers propping up the team for the past five years, the shell that they have left of the Super Bowl team would be done and Thompson would have been fired by now. Put Aaron Rodgers in a Bengals uniform, and I'm certain the results would be the same. Both teams are focused on consistency and ignoring the part where they are consistently mediocre.

What the coaches do ends up on Thompson's head. McCarthy is stagnating, and he's letting Dom Capers sink his half of the boat. At some point, Thompson or whoever is GM if he doesn't get the guts to, is going to have to rock the boat. Watching Aaron Rodgers dither away on a Marvin Lewis-like team is just so disappointing when the entire NFC is ripe for a dominating team to grab.

I'd LOVE to see Rodgers in Cincy with those skill players. AJ Green! I'd give body parts to see that... Those RBs. The rare instances when Eifert is healthy.... thats a helluva unit. A QB is all they're missing.

.. I'm not a McCarthy fan, but I'm sick of bashing him. The remainder of 2017 should tell everyone what they need to know. Can he coach players beyond their ability? Can his team deal with adversity? If he sinks, I don't want the team to throw him a life raft.

Capers is a joke. One that isn't funny anymore. I often question whether he really knows what he wants to run.. And we'll never know, but I'd love to hear what his input is on personnel. If he's remotely responsible, he should have been gone long ago. Its beyond clear his plan isn't working. His unit is average at best and has been horrific most in the post-season.

As for post-2010, they nearly ran the table the next season. Rodgers the best statistical year ever, and they were 1 of the top 5 offenses of all-time. At the time, I believe they were 2nd best to the undefeated Pats... then in 2014 they were 1 play away from another Super Bowl. Just 2 years ago.

I lament the missed opportunity, as I did with Favre near the end. But I've got too many issues with the coaches to point the finger at the GM.

.. and even if they DID make one of these last few Super Bowls, last year as an example, I'd loathe seeing Belichick out coach and out class McCarthy. My lord that would burn. I'm not sure I could stand it.

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 am

Capers was a joke that was never funny in the first place but the Packers keep telling the same joke, expecting it to be funny but it only gets more annoying.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm bumping this so I can be a jerk and say "I told you so." To say that Aaron Rodgers is the second best QB in the league was actually a lie, though. A more accurate description is "Aaron Rodgers is the second best OFFENSE in the league", because with him gone, there is no Packers offense.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 am

NickyJ wrote:I'm bumping this so I can be a jerk and say "I told you so." To say that Aaron Rodgers is the second best QB in the league was actually a lie, though. A more accurate description is "Aaron Rodgers is the second best OFFENSE in the league", because with him gone, there is no Packers offense.

Unfortunate, but true..last night's game was ugly.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 am

I'm not in a good frame of mind... and have a hard time being objective... but good Lawd, that was a horrendous football game. Probably 1 of the 3 worst I've ever seen.

.. it can't go on like this for McCarthy. I'm no fan of his to put it lightly, but it simply can't go on like this. He doesn't deserve to last to the end of the season if this is what his team is going to give him the rest of the way.

Return to “Green Bay Packers”