It's over in Green Bay

Col. Trautman
MVP

Re: It's over in Green Bay

Postby Col. Trautman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Although I originally grew up in Chicago, I have always been more of a Green Bay fan, Mike has done quite well in past years with the team.
Any team can win in professional football, injuries are always a concern as well as the refs not calling penalties on the other teams. I'm confident that they can turn this season around even if they don't make the SuperBowl this year.

Sponsor

Sponsor

GeneralSilent
MVP

Postby GeneralSilent » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:Although I originally grew up in Chicago, I have always been more of a Green Bay fan, Mike has done quite well in past years with the team.
Any team can win in professional football, injuries are always a concern as well as the refs not calling penalties on the other teams. I'm confident that they can turn this season around even if they don't make the SuperBowl this year.

You monster
God bless america!

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:05 pm

GeneralSilent wrote:
Col. Trautman wrote:Although I originally grew up in Chicago, I have always been more of a Green Bay fan, Mike has done quite well in past years with the team.

You monster

:lol:

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:19 am

I don't think McCarthy has done much of anything. Any given year, you can pick out the exact same issues for his team. Predictable playcalling. Average defense. Brutal meltdowns in key moments. That's what it's been every year aside from 2010.

Yes, he did win a Super Bowl. With an ABSURD amount of offensive talent, and a HOF-caliber QB at the top of his game. But we're looking at a team now that has neither of those things and he can't remedy whatever is wrong with them. No answers whatsoever.

.. and while I hear you on the "any given Sunday" thing, it shouldn't apply to the Packers.

Do you hear the Patriots using that rallying cry? The Seahawks. NO. "Any given Sunday" doesn't apply to the great teams in this League. Beacuse they don't lose to the also-rans very often. They beat up on them. So are the Packers great or not? The myth was, they're one of the top teams. So unfortunately, any given Sunday gets left out in the cold.

I think McCarthy should have been fired after the horrific meltdown in the NFCC Game in Seattle. It was clear to me that both he and his team had run their course at that point. Having not fired him has set this team back, and that will only intensify going forward. Whether they make the Playoffs or not, they have to move on.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:35 am

1312qohelet wrote:I think there are 2 ways to get McCarthy out soon.
1) He see's the writing on the wall and resigns.
2) They completely implode this season, lose - out, the locker room falls apart, and arrogant personalities start butting heads publicly, creating major distractions.
- I think the Packers have too much class for that to go down.

So, you're probably stuck with McCarthy...am I spelling his name correctly, by the way?

I wouldn't be too surprised if McCarthy was to resign. I'm sure wouldn't be out of work very long. Or maybe he'd want a year off and then start over again in 2018.

The locker room may already be cracking. Rodgers called the team out for being lifeless on the sideline during the Colts loss. I think it's entirely possible that the coaching staff has already lost the players.

I don't put much stock in the rumored Rodgers/McCarthy rift. I think it's just the fans and media wanting to stir the pot. But thats one more thing that would work against McCarthy if it were true.

Col. Trautman
MVP

Postby Col. Trautman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:37 am

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:
GeneralSilent wrote:

You monster

Okay guys, I guess I should update my profile pick ;)

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:17 am

Col. Trautman wrote:
ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:
GeneralSilent wrote:

You monster

Okay guys, I guess I should update my profile pick ;)

This thread is legendary.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:39 am

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:This thread is legendary.

I know right? :lol: It's exiting to read; I can't wait to see what happens next.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:18 pm

AaronS wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if McCarthy was to resign. I'm sure wouldn't be out of work very long. Or maybe he'd want a year off and then start over again in 2018.

The locker room may already be cracking. Rodgers called the team out for being lifeless on the sideline during the Colts loss. I think it's entirely possible that the coaching staff has already lost the players.

I don't put much stock in the rumored Rodgers/McCarthy rift. I think it's just the fans and media wanting to stir the pot. But thats one more thing that would work against McCarthy if it were true.

It certainly wouldn't be too surprising. The longer he stays there, the longer both are going to suffer. McCarthy can probably get his ship together, especially if his ship sails to a port that already has the tools to work with (like Kubiak managed last year). At worst, he's the so-so coach that he is now, which there is plenty of need for on other teams.

For the candidates you mentioned before, I would avoid Saban... he seems like he fits better in college than in the NFL, like Jim Harbaugh. Patricia and McDaniels are interesting, but it seems like Belichick coordinators flop just as often as Belichick backup QBs. Gruden, Mora, and Holmgren all feel.... over the hill.

Patricia, in theory, would be a step in the right direction though. At the moment, most of the premier teams in the NFL have good defenses. The Broncos and Vikings have that, and for a while, it kept them afloat. Their mediocre QBs have come back to bite them, but it still seems like a decent structure. Now imagine the Packers with a strong defense, but with a QB in Rodgers who's worst days are still good compared to the rest of the league. Getting those good defensive players is the problem, but I'd still love to get a good DC to step up and take over the team. I have a crush on Mike Zimmer, so I might be slightly biased in my love for DCs. :mrgreen:

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:35 pm

NickyJ wrote:
AaronS wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if McCarthy was to resign. I'm sure wouldn't be out of work very long. Or maybe he'd want a year off and then start over again in 2018.

It certainly wouldn't be too surprising. The longer he stays there, the longer both are going to suffer. McCarthy can probably get his ship together, especially if his ship sails to a port that already has the tools to work with (like Kubiak managed last year). At worst, he's the so-so coach that he is now, which there is plenty of need for on other teams.

For the candidates you mentioned before, I would avoid Saban... he seems like he fits better in college than in the NFL, like Jim Harbaugh. Patricia and McDaniels are interesting, but it seems like Belichick coordinators flop just as often as Belichick backup QBs. Gruden, Mora, and Holmgren all feel.... over the hill.

Patricia, in theory, would be a step in the right direction though. At the moment, most of the premier teams in the NFL have good defenses. The Broncos and Vikings have that, and for a while, it kept them afloat. Their mediocre QBs have come back to bite them, but it still seems like a decent structure. Now imagine the Packers with a strong defense, but with a QB in Rodgers who's worst days are still good compared to the rest of the league. Getting those good defensive players is the problem, but I'd still love to get a good DC to step up and take over the team. I have a crush on Mike Zimmer, so I might be slightly biased in my love for DCs. :mrgreen:

Woah, woah, woah! You can't have our coordinators! Those guys are ours! At least, I hope they feel the same way, because if they don't, then they won't be ours much longer...

And I agree with you, Saban is for college football, and college football is for Saban. There are just some coaches who are that way. And sometimes, it feels like there are some players who are that way too. Take Tim Tebow for example. He excelled in college, but in the NFL... he was terrible.

Return to “Green Bay Packers”