It's over in Green Bay

AaronS
Hall of Fame

It's over in Green Bay

Postby AaronS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Time to close the book on these Green Bay Packers.

Another loss at home, another gut punch to the defense, another hapless offensive performance. And a new development this week, the return of poor special teams.

It's time to nuke this thing.

I can hear you saying, "they only lost by 5 points." True, but through 51 minutes of football yesterday, the Packers trailed 31-13. AT HOME! They used to be all but automatic as a 7+ point favorite in Lambeau. From 2006-2012, they lost only 3 times when favored by 7 at home... They now have 3 such losses in the last calendar year. 2 losses to abysmal division opponents, Detroit and Chicago.

The only thing that can be said in the Packers defense, they are not healthy, especially on D. CMIII is always banged up, and has missed his usual round of games. The corner situation is a disaster with their top 3 players out. Shields may be done altogether due to concussions.

There are numerous rants I could go on, but in short it's simply time to move on from this coaching staff. Capers 3-4 defense is not working out. McCarthys offense is in a tailspin, and he doesn't have the wherewithal to get them out of it.

It was a nice run. I didn't expect to win that Title in 2010. But with Rodgers in his prime and with that insane 2011 offense, it hurts that they didn't win 1 more.

It's over in Green Bay

Sponsor

Sponsor

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Re: It's over in Green Bay

Postby JSamuel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:40 pm

If Tom Brady plays until he's 70, and Bill Belichick coaches until he's 90... yeah, I have to wait a while before I get to start feeling this way.

But with all seriousness, I wouldn't lose hope in the Packs just yet. You guys have a good GM, and usually teams with good GM's succeed. Plus, with all your injured players, and your numerous losses, I can only see it getting better from here. (There's a "make you sad but give you hope" approach).

And if you're right, and it's really over in Green Bay, then you'll get to have fun going for a bad team, like 1312qohelet. I bet that guy has loads of fun rooting for the Bears. :lol:

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:12 pm

With the way the Vikings and Packers have been playing, the Lions have to be licking their chops. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions get a prime chance to swipe the division but completely fail...
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Even if they manage to win the division, or magically make the playoffs without winning the division, they'll just be somebody's sacrificial lamb.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 pm

JSamuel wrote:And if you're right, and it's really over in Green Bay, then you'll get to have fun going for a bad team, like 1312qohelet. I bet that guy has loads of fun rooting for the Bears. :lol:

After 25 of good/great football, I would have no problem supporting a loser.

But they won't be down long unless Rodgers suffers a catastrophic injury.

They just need new leadership and some cosmetic work.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Coaches that should get consideration (IMO)

Favorites

Nick Saban

Not sure this works unless he gets some measure of personnel control.

I say why not give it to him?! One reason Jimmy Johnson turned the Cowboys around so fast was his knowledge of the college landscape. I would say the same for Pete Carroll in Seattle. Who better than Nick Saban to call shots in a Draft Room right now?

Ted Thompson is dug in and vested though. I'm not convinced the Packers would oust Thompson as GM unless rumors are true that he's considering retirement.

I think there is a MAJOR draw for Saban coming to Green Bay; imagine the prestige that would come along with resurrecting the Crimson Tide, following in Bear Bryant's footsteps, then winning a Title in Green Bay, thus carrying on Lombardi's tradition. He wouldn't be remembered only as a great college coach, he would be remembered as an all-time great coach.

Josh McDaniels

I think he will want some level of personnel control as well. Perhaps he'd take the Packers job and wait out Thompsons retirement before he makes his power play?

He's a no-brainer candidate, IMO. I won't be at all surprised if he follows Belichicks path to greatness.

I would LOVE to see Rodgers in McDaniels offense.

Matt Patricia

I really think he's going to be the hottest candidate this offseason due to the clout McDaniels carries and the power he likely will covet.

I think the job would be very attractive to Patricia. The D is floundering, but there is some good young talent on the D-line and in the secondary. He also has a good veteran anchor in Clay Matthews.

I think Patricia is the smartest route Green Bay could go. Let a defensive minded head coach rebuild the D and trust the offense to a veteran O-coordinator and Aaron Rodgers.

The long shots

Jon Gruden

I think he's done coaching, but if there's one job he'd come back for, I think Green Bay is it.

He knows the organization, it's not a rebuild, and he has a Hall of Fame QB in place.. He would have the opportunity to win and go out on top whenever Rodgers walks away.

I would worry about burnout though. He could up and quit if things didn't go his way after a few years.

Mike Holmgren

Perhaps it's downright silly to mention him, but I guarantee he'd listen if Ted Thompson called. Holmgren would like one more shot at coaching and he and Ted go back a VERY long way.

That said, this would be a short-term hire and I'm not sure how appealing that would be to Rodgers or the Packers.

Jim L. Mora

UCLA has had a rough year, but I think Mora could be in a very similar situation to McDaniels, having learned from past failures as a head coach.

Like Saban, he has recruited well and knows the college landscape. He also has ties to Thompson and the Packers having spent time in Seattle (Holmgren) and San Francisco (Mariucci)

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:04 pm

I would be extremely surprised if Nick Saban took a job in Green Bay. That guy is a college coach, and he wants to stay a college coach. His job is winning national championships for Alabama.

Sure, he coached the Dolphins a while, but I think he was built for college coaching.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:19 pm

JSamuel wrote:I would be extremely surprised if Nick Saban took a job in Green Bay. That guy is a college coach, and he wants to stay a college coach. His job is winning national championships for Alabama.

Sure, he coached the Dolphins a while, but I think he was built for college coaching.

There was a rumor he inquired about the Giants job;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/01/nick-saban-almost-coached-the-giants-says-tom-arnold-and-another-bizarre-nfl-source/

.. as the article said; I'm not sure I would consider Tom Arnold a "source"

But what more does the guy have to accomplish in college football? At this point in his career, I assume he would "listen" to NFL offers, he's even acknowledged he has many times in the past.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:48 pm

AaronS wrote:
JSamuel wrote:I would be extremely surprised if Nick Saban took a job in Green Bay. That guy is a college coach, and he wants to stay a college coach. His job is winning national championships for Alabama.

...what more does the guy have to accomplish in college football? At this point in his career, I assume he would "listen" to NFL offers, he's even acknowledged he has many times in the past.

You're right... and if I were going to coach an NFL team, the Packers would be pretty close the top of my wish list.

But I still think it would be insane if he did that.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm

AaronS wrote:Time to close the book on these Green Bay Packers.

It's time to nuke this thing.

All of your points are valid.
I agree, y'all should send McCarthy down the road

That probably won't happen for 2 or 3 seasons...here's why.
1) The Pack makes the playoffs this year. MIN is crumbling to pieces, CHI is already a steaming pile, and while DET is showing some balls, I'm not ready to crown them NFC North Champs, yet.
Even if the Lions take the North, GB still wins enough games to snag a wild-card spot.
If this happens, McCarthy isn't going anywhere. Even if they go 6-10 in 2017, he will get to coach 2018 and probably '19, based solely on past merit.
2) If GB continues to degrade this season and goes 8-8/7-9, McCarthy coaches '17 and possibly '18 based on past achievement.

I think there are 2 ways to get McCarthy out soon.
1) He see's the writing on the wall and resigns.
2) They completely implode this season, lose - out, the locker room falls apart, and arrogant personalities start butting heads publicly, creating major distractions.
- I think the Packers have too much class for that to go down.

So, you're probably stuck with McCarthy...am I spelling his name correctly, by the way?

Return to “Green Bay Packers”