What in the #$%@

achernar
Hall of Fame

Re: What in the #$%@

Postby achernar » Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 pm

trey31 wrote:
Also, last side-note I swear, Connor Shaw is the most talented QB on the Bears roster. He was undrafted out of S.Carolina. Reminds me of a short Andrew Luck with a bit less "arm talent". Didn't toss the rock as much in college, but he is athletic, outside the pocket he wants to throw rather than run, has good on-field presence, and only threw one pick his senior season. It really is too bad he has osteogenesis imperfecta like Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.

Shaw was better than Manziel when both are teammates... but i don't remember why he didn't have more chances with the Browns...

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon May 08, 2017 7:16 pm

achernar wrote:
trey31 wrote:
Also, last side-note I swear, Connor Shaw is the most talented QB on the Bears roster. He was undrafted out of S.Carolina. Reminds me of a short Andrew Luck with a bit less "arm talent". Didn't toss the rock as much in college, but he is athletic, outside the pocket he wants to throw rather than run, has good on-field presence, and only threw one pick his senior season. It really is too bad he has osteogenesis imperfecta like Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.

Shaw was better than Manziel when both are teammates... but i don't remember why he didn't have more chances with the Browns...

Because the Browns haven't been able to handle a quarterback properly since they were reborn in the NFL?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 pm

trey31 wrote:I've followed the NFL since before Aikman & co. won a Super Bowl.

I've been following NCAAF and the draft since the mid-90's.

Mitchell Trubisky = Akili Smith.

Eerily so, even. Especially with the whole surprise-Senior season.

The down side is Akili went #3 overall instead of #2, and threw for more TDs and yards his senior season and also had a higher yards per attempt and QB rating. Even athletically they're comparable.

Did I mention Akili is on most "biggest draft busts" lists?

On a side-note, Pat Mahomes has the worst mechanics and pocket presence I've ever seen from a QB drafted in the top 10. Leaf, Russell, Harrington, and Couch all had much better mechanics and pocket awareness, and they all had "arm talent" too.

There wasn't a franchise QB in this draft. Unsurprisingly, teams continue to draft QBs really high and also overpay them (stares at Mike Glennon for several awkward seconds) since the franchise-level talent variety is so rare.

On another side-note, the Mark Sanchez FA signing as the #2 QB was a smokescreen. Makes more sense now than it did earlier in the off-season.

I forgot there was even an Akili Smith.
That's how bad he was :lol:
On the other hand, you're right. Trubisky was just good in his junior season.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:48 pm

None of these teams that drafted a QB in the first 2 rounds, were looking for a franchise QB..they had to. To wait another year when the QB crop will be better was a gamble that they had to take. The Steelers took Dobbs because they knew that Landry Jones was not the answer. I know from my guy this was a guy to groom to be a fill in till they get the right guy . They believe the Dobbs will be the #2 by mid season.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 pm

RevanFan wrote:
achernar wrote:
trey31 wrote:

Because the Browns haven't been able to handle a quarterback properly since they were reborn in the NFL?

Answer 1a is because it was the Browns. Answer 1b is because his bones are made of glass.

On a serious note, if Shaw got 1 or 2 seasons in the developmental NFL-E (ala Kurt Warner) league I have no doubt he'd be starting somewhere by this point. But with no "minor" league affiliate, he sits and collects dust. Dude is for real the most talented QB on the roster. Has physical tools, has good field presence, can make all the short/medium throws with snap and accuracy, knows when to extend the play vs dumping to checkdown, and knows when to move 5 yards left or right and chuck the oblong brown leather thing with stitches out of bounds.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Kevin5455 wrote:I forgot there was even an Akili Smith.
That's how bad he was :lol:
On the other hand, you're right. Trubisky was just good in his junior season.

I couldn't believe where he was picked. I thought for sure he'd be the third QB taken.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:25 pm

BUS36 wrote:None of these teams that drafted a QB in the first 2 rounds, were looking for a franchise QB..they had to.

Agreed. I felt Watson was the best of this draft, but didn't look significantly more promising than EJ Manuel or Geno Smith in 2013. Teams take QBs high because they feel like they have to.

Return to “Chicago Bears”