Chicago Bears VS Houston Texans Week One Journal

spydermanj
Pro Bowl

Postby spydermanj » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey guys! So this is my first journal of the Chicago Bears during the 2016 season.

Week One: Bears vs Texans
Result: Loss
Current Record: 0-1

Stats
14 First Downs, 54 plays, 258 total yards, 185 passing yards, 78 rushing yards 1 turnover

Offensive Leaders
Jay Cutler (QB): 185 yards passing, 12 rushing and 1 interception, 1 touchdown
Jeremy Langford (RB): 57 yards rushing and 1 touchdown
Alshon Jeffery (WR) 4 receptions, 105 yards catching and 0 touchdowns

Defensive Leaders
Eddie Goldman (DL) 6 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 QB hit
Jerrell Freeman (LB) 17 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits
Tracy Porter (CB) 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 1 interception

Pros and Cons:

Pro: Tracy Porter is really stepping up and be a leader for the Bears. He had an interception early in the first quarter and several pass breakups. His man, DeAndre Hopkins, had an ok game, but was hampered by Porter’s constant presence. Look out for more big plays by the CB.

Pro: Alshon Jeffery. Cutler knows when he needs a big play, Jeffery is his man. Jeffery caught several passes including a giant 54 yarder. All Cutler has to do is throw it up and it is almost guaranteed Jeffery will turn it into a big gain. The Bears better re-sign him this offseason.

Middle-Of-The-Road: Jay Cutler. Jay had a pretty decent first half before regressing to 2014 Jay, throwing an interception and being hit several times.

Con: The Offensive Line
The Offensive line was simply horrific allowing FIVE sacks and several QB hits. I understand that Josh Sitton was just signed, and Cody Whitehair is undergoing another position change thanks to the injury suffered by Hroniss Grasu but come on. The Offensive line is the real core in most football games. You lose at the offensive line, and you lose the game, pure and simple.

Con: Safeties and Cornerbacks:
Most of the starting CB’s and S’s were at best, mediocre and at worst, stupid. Several got burned by Will Fuller V who had an amazing debut at rookie. I guess that the didn’t have his blazing speed and elusiveness huh? Last season they only had a combined 5 interceptions.

Con: Kevin White:
Kevin White was not living up to his hype coming into the season. His speed was so-so and he had an ugly route-run that led to a crucial interception that turned into a touchdown gaining drive. At this point, he has had more experience knowing routes and being up to speed in the playbook. Will Fuller V had twice as many yards as Kevin and he was just drafted. Kevin needs to show why he was picked 7th in the draft last year.

Summary
This game was an ugly start for the Chicago Bears. The Houston Texans beat them in almost every way. Houston’s offensive line was twice as good as Chicago’s, and the QB, Brock Osweiler, somewhat proved why he got that big contract this offseason. The QB had a big arm, and made all the right throws against the Bear’s secondary. For some reason, Jay Cutler had a decent first half and then acted like an inexperienced backup in the second half. The wideouts had an okay game, Alshon Jeffery and Eddie Royal being great targets. But Kevin White and both tight ends had an unimpressive debut. All in all, the game was tough to watch and tough for Bears fans. The game hopefully was not a sign of things to come and that they improve soon. Otherwise, we might be picking within the top 10 of the draft next year.

Sponsor

Sponsor

spydermanj
Pro Bowl

Re: Chicago Bears VS Houston Texans Week One Journal

Postby spydermanj » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:24 pm

feel free to comment on the piece. Comments, criticisms, or congrats, I accept them all.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:58 pm

spydermanj wrote:feel free to comment on the piece. Comments, criticisms, or congrats, I accept them all.

I am a life-long Bears fan, so while I like your piece, reading it seems to bring me down.

Never the less, I think you've done a good job with this, so far.
Do you plan on continuing the journal??

spydermanj
Pro Bowl

Postby spydermanj » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 am

1312qohelet wrote:
spydermanj wrote:feel free to comment on the piece. Comments, criticisms, or congrats, I accept them all.

I am a life-long Bears fan, so while I like your piece, reading it seems to bring me down.

I appreciate it!! Thanks a lot. Yes, I will be continuing this journal, all through the current season. To be honest, I'm not writing this piece to be opinionated, but to provide an honest analysis of the current state of the team. I do provide Pro's along with Con's, to balance it out though. I do hope you plan to keep reading! Thank you!

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:34 am

spydermanj wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:

I appreciate it!! Thanks a lot. Yes, I will be continuing this journal, all through the current season. To be honest, I'm not writing this piece to be opinionated, but to provide an honest analysis of the current state of the team. I do provide Pro's along with Con's, to balance it out though. I do hope you plan to keep reading! Thank you!

No, no, no..don't get me wrong, friend.
I wasn't saying I am bummed out because I feel you have a "wrong opinion", or something of the like.
Everything I read about my beloved franchise brings me down. Not as much as watching them play, though :lol:
I am Bummed out because I too, follow the Bears and well, they stink - S.T.I.N.K.

Good work...keep it up.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 pm

1312qohelet wrote:

I thought you were a Jets fan... Well, I guess you can be both.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 pm

JSamuel wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:

I am not really a Jets fan. Don't love them, don't hate them.

Matt Forte is one of my favorite players and he's a Jet now (senseless move by Chicago, broke my heart), so I can see where you'd come to that assumption.

spydermanj
Pro Bowl

Postby spydermanj » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 pm

I thought you were a Jets fan... Well, I guess you can be both.[/quote]

Matt Forte is one of my favorite players and he's a Jet now (senseless move by Chicago, broke my heart), so I can see where you'd come to that assumption.[/quote]

I freakin love Forte. He was CONSISTENTLY a good running back, and probably my favorite player in Chicago. I hated the fact that the Bears let him go. I understand that most running back decline steadily after age 30, but the dude could run, AND could catch passes like a wide receiver. Matt Forte didn't "do" anything to them, (like Marshall, some say) and they didn't even try to trade him, they cut him loose. Such a shame.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:04 pm

1312qohelet wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:I am a life-long Bears fan, so while I like your piece, reading it seems to bring me down.

Matt Forte is one of my favorite players and he's a Jet now (senseless move by Chicago, broke my heart), so I can see where you'd come to that assumption.

I love Matt Forte too. He was always my favorite player on Madden Mobile, when I used to play that game. He was like an 84 or something.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 am

spidermanj - I freakin love Forte. He was CONSISTENTLY a good running back, and probably my favorite player in Chicago. I hated the fact that the Bears let him go. I understand that most running back decline steadily after age 30, but the dude could run, AND could catch passes like a wide receiver. Matt Forte didn't "do" anything to them, (like Marshall, some say) and they didn't even try to trade him, they cut him loose. Such a shame

He definately is not showing any signs of slowing down.
Week 1, he put up 96 rushing, 59 receiving yds.
Week 2 - I watched that entire game, 100 yds on the ground and 3 td's.

My personal opinion, he has two seasons (this year and next) before he starts to decline physically.
That is, of course, barring significant injury.
We all know what just happened with A.P.

Return to “Chicago Bears”