Cutler signs seven-year contract with $54M guaranteed

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I am REALLY surprised. He hasn't done good since he with the Broncos.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rough-2020

Sponsor

Sponsor

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Re: Cutler signs seven-year contract with $54M guaranteed

Postby ycleped » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Austinmario wrote:I am REALLY surprised. He hasn't done good since he with the Broncos.

I was shocked as well. I don't really care, though, since I'm not a Bears fan. ;) I wish him good luck, anyway.
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

torontogrudlies
MVP

Re: Cutler signs seven-year contract with $54M guaranteed

Postby torontogrudlies » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Austinmario wrote:I am REALLY surprised. He hasn't done good since he with the Broncos.

A few points:

For much of his time in Chicago, he hasn't had a line in front of him.

He's had a new OC, just about every year.

Up until recently, not a lot of offensive weapons. Main weapons were throwing to Matt Forte out of the backfield, and Devin Hester as a primary receiver (a proverbial square peg.)

Some injuries.

I for one am fairly encouraged. This defense can't possibly play worse than they did this year, and have nowhere to go but up... but were nevertheless a couple of plays away from winning the division. Marc Trestman knows a little bit about quarterbacks and Cutler's game will continue to improve.

Losing the division to the Packers sucked, but it gets us a better draft pick. This GM did a decent job in the draft so far.

Zigeris
Rookie

Cutler signs, a winning move for the Bears.

Postby Zigeris » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 am

Think about it this way, new staff training new players leads to a very punishing double edged sword. Staying with Cutler would be smart for them until they get a season or two under the new coaches belt before you start hunting around for the hardest position to fill.

The fact that the contract is 7 years tells me they may draft rookies or young guns (1-2 years in) to train up. But one thing I have noted that the numerous amounts of QB's that the Bears have had adds up to a whole lot of spent money for less results. 54 million dollars is chump change in the NLF. I don't know what the Bears buying power is at right now, but it could signal that they plan to do a lot of shopping soon for next season in other positions that would fill gaps.

I don't blame Cutler for his performance, I blamed the readiness of the team and it's adapting ability, or the lack thereof.

Return to “Chicago Bears”