Russell Wilson to start Friday

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:38 am

Seattle Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson has earned his first start in the team's third preseason game, coach Pete Carroll announced Tuesday, and team sources say a strong performance could elevate him into a starting role for the 2012 regular-season opener.

Carroll on Monday informed the quarterbacks, including Matt Flynn, the free-agent pickup who had started the team's first two preseason games but didn't make the official announcement until Tuesday.

"We told you we were going to need preseason to figure this thing out and I think we're moving along positively and I have no concern about the timing of this other than we need information and we need to figure it out," Carroll said Tuesday. "This is about competition. This is what we've always been about and if somebody doesn't see it that way then they don't understand us and I can't do anything about that. This is a great competitive opportunity to watch and for me to oversee as a coach and it's exciting and it's been fun to see it through and we're going to finish it up the next couple of weeks."

Wilson will take the majority of first-team reps as the Seahawks prepare to face the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday night. Carroll plans to play Wilson with the Seahawks' starters through at least the first half. Flynn could get some first-team reps to start the second half depending on the flow of the game.

"We're going to wait after the game and see what happened and see what it feels like and talk it all out and see everything you can possibly see in analyzing it and move ahead with confidence," Carroll said. "I'm real confident we're doing the right thing. I don't have any hesitation in this."

While Flynn has been steady, Wilson has provided the Seahawks with more dynamic plays between the two quarterbacks, albeit against opposing team's second-string defenders. But a team source also noted that Wilson has played with second-teamers, for the most part, and has produced several big plays despite shoddy pass protection. He also has converted 54 percent of third-down possessions, a source noted.

Wilson has completed 22 of 33 passes for 279 yards this preseason, throwing for three touchdowns with one interception. He also has rushed for 92 yards and a touchdown. Flynn is 17 of 26 for 102 yards with no touchdowns and one interception.

"I definitely imagined myself always being successful. I knew one thing, I was going to do everything I could to be successful," Wilson said. "That's what I always do no matter what the situation is."

The Seahawks also want to see how Wilson handles the pressure of a starting assignment as opposed to coming off the bench in a relief role, which has been one of the scenarios the team hasn't ruled out as part of its game plan in 2012.

"Getting out there and playing against first team defenses and playing with the first team offensive line will definitely help me as I continue to go on," Wilson said.

Although Carroll understands that conventional wisdom normally would call for Flynn to start, he also has noted to his staff that conventional wisdom didn't call for the Seahawks to use a third-round pick to select Wilson, who's 5-foot-10, out of Wisconsin.

If Wilson struggles against the Chiefs, the Seahawks haven't ruled out having Flynn start in the final preseason game.

Four teams have already said they will start rookie quarterbacks in Week 1 (Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, 2012 could be the first year with more than two rookie quarterbacks starting in Week 1 since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

Last week, when Flynn was announced as the starter against Denver and Wilson the backup, Carroll said he felt that's where the two stood. Asked if that had changed, Carroll didn't answer directly, but said it's apparent making the jump from college to the NFL has not been overwhelming for Wilson.

"Even though the newness of it for Russell -- and it's really the newness of understanding the league and NFL and style and that stuff that takes time, nothing but time can solve that -- isn't factoring in his play," Carroll said. "He came back and played very much in command and did some wonderful things in Week 2."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8289078/seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-start-friday
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Russell Wilson to start Friday

Postby AaronS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Wilson seems to have outplayed Flynn so far... but Flynns numbers would look alot better if T.O. hadn't dropped a beautifully thrown 40yd td pass.

.. I think Wilson wins this job. He just makes plays. Flynn hasn't looked bad, and hasn't played poorly, Wilson has done too good a job making something out of nothing.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I personally think it's too early to play Wilson. He's just a rookie, and the Seahawks O-line may not be able to protect him very well.
And even if Matt Flynn is a bust, you might as well start him to begin this season. They simply can't throw all that money down the toilet.
Matt Flynn is going to win the job. Wilson has been good, and I think he'll be a starter one day, but he's excelled against backups. We are going to see Flynn play really good in the 2nd half.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 pm

So far Wilson is the best man for the job, and Carroll has to practice what he preaches. He stresses competition at every position. It's not gonna look too good if he starts a guy who has clearly been outplayed by another.

.. I will say the QB situation does reflect poorly on management. I don't fault them for drafting a rooklie that looks pretty solid, but the rest of their decisions at QB look terrible. They gave up a top 50 pick for a TOTAL washout in Charile Whitehurst. They should have moved Tavaris Jackson out after the draft as it was clear they were not going to play him. Now a 3rd round pick is out-shining a guy they paid big $$$ to. And Carrolls first move was to dismiss Matt Hasselbeck, a guy who is probably still a better QB than all these guys.

I like Carroll, and I like his underboss John Schneider even more, but this just looks bad.

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:22 pm

AaronS wrote:So far Wilson is the best man for the job, and Carroll has to practice what he preaches. He stresses competition at every position. It's not gonna look too good if he starts a guy who has clearly been outplayed by another.

.. I will say the QB situation does reflect poorly on management. I don't fault them for drafting a rooklie that looks pretty solid, but the rest of their decisions at QB look terrible. They gave up a top 50 pick for a TOTAL washout in Charile Whitehurst. They should have moved Tavaris Jackson out after the draft as it was clear they were not going to play him. Now a 3rd round pick is out-shining a guy they paid big $$$ to. And Carrolls first move was to dismiss Matt Hasselbeck, a guy who is probably still a better QB than all these guys.

I like Carroll, and I like his underboss John Schneider even more, but this just looks bad.

I 2nd that.
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Not only did Wilson start, and once again played well.. but Tarvaris Jackson is running the 2nd team en route to a blowout win.

.. I'll be shocked if Flynn winds up starting week 1.

Return to “Seattle Seahawks”