Alex Smith

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Re: Alex Smith

Postby DrBrownsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm

NickyJ wrote:I expect the Cards to get him. From Smith's point of view, what would make the Chiefs a better place to go to? Dwayne Bowe, from what I remember, wants to get out of town, which would leave him with..... Dexter McCluster? When Smith could get Larry?

Hey, look at Cleveland... we have several good young receivers who are just waiting to blossom into stars. I mean, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Josh Cooper, and tight end Jordan Cameron, plus veteran WR Josh Cribbs and TE's Benjamin Watson and Alex Smith (the tight end :lol:). I think Alex Smith the quarterback has to at least consider going to the Browns.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm

DrBrownsFan wrote:
NickyJ wrote:I expect the Cards to get him. From Smith's point of view, what would make the Chiefs a better place to go to? Dwayne Bowe, from what I remember, wants to get out of town, which would leave him with..... Dexter McCluster? When Smith could get Larry?

Hey, look at Cleveland... we have several good young receivers who are just waiting to blossom into stars. I mean, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Josh Cooper, and tight end Jordan Cameron, plus veteran WR Josh Cribbs and TE's Benjamin Watson and Alex Smith (the tight end :lol:). I think Alex Smith the quarterback has to at least consider going to the Browns.

Cleveland is in shambles right now. Their offense is worthless, particularly the lack of any good receivers. Any quarterback with self-respect is going to avoid it like the plague until they get legitimate receivers, which is unlikely to happen until after the front office ceases to function as a revolving door.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Cleveland is in shambles right now. Their offense is worthless, particularly the lack of any good receivers. Any quarterback with self-respect is going to avoid it like the plague until they get legitimate receivers, which is unlikely to happen until after the front office ceases to function as a revolving door.

I considered saying the same thing...
Josh Gordon looks like he can be a deep threat #2 WR. That was a good pick. However, Greg Little is at best a #3 WR and Massaquoi has been hurt.. and terrible. Jordan Cameron will be a borderline starter, which isn't bad... Isn't Ben Watson virtually gone? Not as if he's any good. Josh Cooper?! Plus Cribbs is 30 and a returner past his prime.
Get a #1 WR and a #1 QB and then we'll be talking. Upgrades on the O-line are needed too.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Nicky J... in order for that to happen the scouting department needs to start functioning. Every team goes through times like this where the scouting department is just crap. The Colts, Bucs, & Rams in the 90s... the Packers in the 70s, the Lions in the early 2000s.... When all your high picks get wasted on either bad talent or good talent without the coaching staff to develop them.... the GM has no choice but to become a revolving door. b/c of just how much money they're losing. The worse part is it is like a domino effect... a single #1 draft bust can cost a franchise so much money... if they're not winning games they're not holding onto coaching staffs.... scouting staffs... these busts that aren't developing b/c of the 1st reason....

It's a horrible slide
Of course it can also produce situations like whats in San Francisco... tons of #1 picks... just needing the right coach to bring it all together. Doesn't their O-Line have 3 first round picks alone?

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 am

Danchat wrote:

I considered saying the same thing...
Josh Gordon looks like he can be a deep threat #2 WR. That was a good pick. However, Greg Little is at best a #3 WR and Massaquoi has been hurt.. and terrible. Jordan Cameron will be a borderline starter, which isn't bad... Isn't Ben Watson virtually gone? Not as if he's any good. Josh Cooper?! Plus Cribbs is 30 and a returner past his prime.
Get a #1 WR and a #1 QB and then we'll be talking. Upgrades on the O-line are needed too.

True, I was just highlighting the youth of our receiving corps. Cooper is going to be a bottom-of-the-depth-chart depth player for his career, but other than him, with the right coaching, they could develop well in the future. Ben Watson is a very good receiving tight end, and I haven't heard anything about him being gone (unless I'm misinterpreting you and you mean deteriorating due to age, yes he is 32, but he has played very well the past few seasons). The O-line isn't a quarterback's worst nightmare like it was, we do have Joe Thomas and Alex Mack, and our young linemen (Shaun Lauvao, Mitchell Schwartz, and Ryan Miller) have shown some talent and potential. The Browns seem to be a young team that, with some good coaching and good personnell decisions, could be a contender within a few years, and I think any quarterback (including Alex Smith) who is willing to get through a losing season or two to get to a point where they can become contenders should take a good long look at the Browns. Anyway, it seem I have hijacked this thread... :oops: :lol: Back to Alex Smith! :D
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

Danchat wrote:Josh Gordon looks like he can be a deep threat #2 WR. That was a good pick. However, Greg Little is at best a #3 WR and Massaquoi has been hurt.. and terrible. Jordan Cameron will be a borderline starter, which isn't bad... Isn't Ben Watson virtually gone? Not as if he's any good. Josh Cooper?! Plus Cribbs is 30 and a returner past his prime.

True. I forgot about Gordon. The rest is garbage. I'm a firm believer in building your offense first, and then getting your QB of the future, so if I were them, I'd get to work on bulking up their receiver corps.

DarthViper3k wrote:Nicky J... in order for that to happen the scouting department needs to start functioning. Every team goes through times like this where the scouting department is just crap. The Colts, Bucs, & Rams in the 90s... the Packers in the 70s, the Lions in the early 2000s.... When all your high picks get wasted on either bad talent or good talent without the coaching staff to develop them.... the GM has no choice but to become a revolving door. b/c of just how much money they're losing. The worse part is it is like a domino effect... a single #1 draft bust can cost a franchise so much money... if they're not winning games they're not holding onto coaching staffs.... scouting staffs... these busts that aren't developing b/c of the 1st reason....

It's a horrible slide
Of course it can also produce situations like whats in San Francisco... tons of #1 picks... just needing the right coach to bring it all together. Doesn't their O-Line have 3 first round picks alone?

True. But to me, the scouting department is part of the coaching revolving door. Until teams can get some stability, the better QBs are going to avoid them, barring overpayment.

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

It looks like any coming day it's filled with information about Smith possible trade and team, there's a report about Smith being coveted by the Cardinals, according to an NFL source, the Cardinals are exploring the possibility of trading for Alex Smith.
This comes shortly after another report claiming that the Niners and a second unidentified team have already wrapped up a deal for Smith. Interesting, to me it's strange San Fran would consider dealing Smith to a division rival but if it's with the Cards with which they have the so called wrapped up deal it has to be a great deal for San Fran then (Patrick Peterson anyone?)
As for the debate about Smith to the Browns, I don't think he wants to go there, an image is worth a thousand words:

DrBrownsFan
MVP

Postby DrBrownsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Loxley wrote:It looks like any coming day it's filled with information about Smith possible trade and team, there's a report about Smith being coveted by the Cardinals, according to an NFL source, the Cardinals are exploring the possibility of trading for Alex Smith.
This comes shortly after another report claiming that the Niners and a second unidentified team have already wrapped up a deal for Smith. Interesting, to me it's strange San Fran would consider dealing Smith to a division rival but if it's with the Cards with which they have the so called wrapped up deal it has to be a great deal for San Fran then (Patrick Peterson anyone?)
As for the debate about Smith to the Browns, I don't think he wants to go there, an image is worth a thousand words:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's FUNNY!!!! Spock: "Indeed, Captain. Their previous record and my intuition show that they will, in fact, four-letter-word it up once again." :lol:

madden07fan
All-Pro

Postby madden07fan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Yahoo: 49ers agree on trade to kansas city, but trade wont happen until March!

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

madden07fan wrote:Yahoo: 49ers agree on trade to kansas city, but trade wont happen until March!

Yep, herded that on PWF. BTW, it won't happen until March 11, since that when FA opens.(AKA 2013 NFL Season)
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

Return to “San Francisco 49ers”