What's up with Philly's RB Situation?

JPMoneyman
All-Pro

Postby JPMoneyman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 am

Can anyone out there tell me what the deal is with the way Philly utilizes their running backs? I only ask the question because I don't get how they are doing what they do. Part of it maybe the way Chip Kelly was and maybe I am paranoid but it just seems a little off to me that the Eagles didn't even really use LaGarette Blount on Sunday, and I feel like they could have.
Trust me I am a big Eagles fan and I do like Darren Sproles but hey if you got a big power runner on your roster, shouldn't you try to use him?
I look at the recent history and I wonder what's going on.
Look at it: Brian Westbrook complete legend. Definitely not your prototypical Running Back but he was awesome for the Eagles with what he could do. And they used him pretty well.
Shady McCoy, wow what kind of skills did he possess! And again they used him well until Chip Kelly decided to clear house. I still don't get that trade McCoy for Alonso, Really? Anyway that was done and then they bring in Demarco Murray and Ryan Mathews and Sproles. That should have been a great combo but the only one who really benefited from Chips game plan was Sproles. Demarco was a shadow of himself as a cow bell runner until he left and went to the Titans and then smashed out an 1000 yard season and a glut of TDs. I know how he was so unsuccessful, asking him to run from those different formations and to need to make more cuts was not his MO, not his style.
Now they bring in Blount who at the Pats last season what didn't he lead the NFL in red zone TDs or close to it last year? And it just seems that again here is this big bruiser of a back that is not being that. The Eagles definitely need a power run game. Not all the time, I get what the Eagles are and the air game is real big, that's the kind of team they are but sometimes you need to run the ball and Blount is a right up the guts, smash you in the mouth runner. I'm not saying Smallwood and Sproles are not great RBs (Sproles for sure is, Smallwoods still young and growing) but if you got a beast up the middle why not use him? Pederson said he is important to the team so I can only hope my view is just that hangover from the Chip experiment, but I can't help but wonder a little. Though the Chiefs always had a good run mentality so you'd like to think that the Eagles might be more inclined to run a bit more with Pederson there. I think that would be a help to Carson Wentz. Yep we have the receivers now for sure and he's got so many weapons, but there must be some way Philly can use Blount more effectively OR is it that Blount is being blase and expecting a better ride. Anyone else have any thoughts on the RB situation in Philly?
Just my silly random thoughts here just trying to figure it out in my own head, looking for some clarity as to why Philly brought in a downhill runner if they won't use him like that. I probably don't know anything really but it was just a thought I had and wondered what people thought?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: What's up with Philly's RB Situation?

Postby Danchat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 am

Yeah, they just need a lead back there in Philly. Sproles, even at his age is a solid 3rd down back, but they need more than that. The thing is that Blount is closer to being cut (apparently they almost cut him getting down to the 53 man roster) and they really don't like him that much. They spent a 4th rounder on Donnel Pumphrey but now he's on the IR and he was only going to be a poor man's Sproles. So it's kinda down to Smallwood or Corey Clement doing something or else they just won't have a running game. Maybe they should give Clement a few starts and see what he can do.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

JPMoneyman
All-Pro

Re: What's up with Philly's RB Situation?

Postby JPMoneyman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Yeah it seems strange to me for them to have kept him if they are not really sold on him!
I sometimes wonder what Philly's philosophy is with the running game. It seems like it's more like an afterthought with the franchise lately. "No we don't really do it that way- we'd rather use our runners as scat backs, more coming out of the back field on passes, screens and then maybe the odd draw. I know they are committed to the passing game but the basis of most championship quality sides is a solid lead back and running game along with a good defense. I mean look at the last few years. Seattle - with Marshawn Lynch, Falcons -with Freeman and Coleman (they do both catch and run through the middle), Even the Patriots went and won the Superbowl on the back of James White, again catching out of the back field but he also ran it tough between the tackles too.
So I guess really I hope that the Eagles will find a good balanced back able to do everything that the Eagles want or at least find a way to cretae a balanced run and pass game cause that I think will be the key to them being successful in the NFC East and beyond, in my humble opinion anyway. Maybe I just love the run game too much!

Return to “Philadelphia Eagles”