Franchise Redzone Crash/Freeze VS specific teams

Madden crashing, franchise corrupt, games won't sim? Get help here.
Mazeballz
Rookie

Postby Mazeballz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:50 pm

Edit for TLDR:
100% the fault of the Gamedata.dat file Included in 'FF/FI Mod Release Thread - 4/5/2021- Playbook, Portrait Update'. From my understanding, the only purpose for it's inclusion is to implement updated playbooks. To fix it, delete GAMEDATA.dat from your Documents>Madden NFL 08 folder. Then rename "GAMEDATA.dat-bak" to "GAMEDATA.dat".

Firstly, thank you all for breathing new life into Madden 08. I was never able to get on board with the new controls past PS2, especially stiff arm and juke each being reduced to one button. Drove me nuts and I gave Madden up entirely. That is, until now.

Anyways, I consistently crash/freeze vs the Ravens or Eagles when scoring or gaining a first down from inside the Redzone. This happens with or without CS and regardless of the stadium or the team I'm playing with. Ctrl, Alt, Delete > Task Manager > End Task is my only reasonable way out of it. I followed the starting guide and I'm running with the December 2022 Jinx roster.

I've avoided playing the Ravens at all due to this. The Eagles are newly discovered. It may be coincidence but in my Franchise the Eagles are currently using BAL- J. Harbaugh's playbook.

Also, JPMoneyman seems to have had the same or very similar issue:
JPMoneyman wrote:As far as the game crashes, I have found that there are 2 instances where it will freeze and you can only stop it by turning off the computer and then back on again. Both to do with cutscenes and replays.
The first is (and it always seems to be in the redzone - such as a first down inside the 20 or a Touchdown) as it transitions from the play into the replay on the cutscene.
The second, I believe I triggered the crash when the cutscene to the auto replay began and not wanting to watch it I pressed the cancel button (again it was in the redzone/goalzone area). That needs confirmation though, so far just an observation.

He was also using the Ravens with BAL- J. Harbaugh's playbook. Seems like the crashes were blown off as a CS replay issue but I can recreate it running without CS. While writing this I decided to use AMP45 to change the eagle's defense to 3-4 and wasn't able to recreate the issue for the 10 minutes I tested. Broken Playbook? I'll probably test more tomorrow after work.

Sponsor

Sponsor

TheRareButter
MVP

Re: Franchise Redzone Crash/Freeze VS specific teams

Postby TheRareButter » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:18 pm

I'm having the same issue with custom playbooks, so I don't think it's due to that.

Mazeballz
Rookie

Postby Mazeballz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:29 pm

TheRareButter wrote:I'm having the same issue with custom playbooks, so I don't think it's due to that.

Same issue? What defensive playbook is your opponent using?

I've continued testing. To be clear, I saved just before the freeze so I could repeatedly recreate this. I freeze every time when the opponent is using the BAL defensive playbook. I cannot get it to freeze when I simply change their defensive playbook.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:39 pm

Mazeballz wrote:
TheRareButter wrote:I'm having the same issue with custom playbooks, so I don't think it's due to that.

Same issue? What defensive playbook is your opponent using?

I've continued testing. To be clear, I saved just before the freeze so I could repeatedly recreate this. I freeze every time when the opponent is using the BAL defensive playbook. I cannot get it to freeze when I simply change their defensive playbook.

My bad, I was only considering the offensive playbooks. Maybe you're right.

Mazeballz
Rookie

Postby Mazeballz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:48 pm

After further investigating-> The issue, from what I can tell, is probably caused by the FF/FI mod's "Core Files (Updated 4/5/2021)". The Gamedata.dat file included appears to add a base Nickel formation where every position is held by QB0. You can observe this by going to Profile, then custom packages, then reviewing the third Nickel package. On the occasion the pc can handle that mess, when the CPU calls a play that involves this package, the defense, made up of entirely offensive players, will pile up in the middle, directly in front of the offensive center. The package shows up in formation subs as well (only in-game with relevant playbook I imagine). Switching to the original gamedata.dat file and seeing it not exist there is all the evidence I need to conclude that the mod is botched. I'm going to make a sad attempt to fix this on my end and will share a patched gamedata.dat file if I'm successful.

Edit: Yup, tested this with that saved file with the promised freeze I mentioned previously, using BAL- J. Harbaugh's defensive playbook. No freeze. There for it must be 100% the fault of the Gamedata.dat file. From my understanding, the only purpose for it's inclusion is to implement updated playbooks that I give zero F's about. So its's an easy solution for me to simply delete it and rename 'GAMEDATA.dat-bak' to GAMEDATA.dat

For those who have a few F's to give, point to this thread to help push for a fix.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:41 pm

Mazeballz wrote:After further investigating-> The issue, from what I can tell, is probably caused by the FF/FI mod's "Core Files (Updated 4/5/2021)". The Gamedata.dat file included appears to add a base Nickel formation where every position is held by QB0. You can observe this by going to Profile, then custom packages, then reviewing the third Nickel package. On the occasion the pc can handle that mess, when the CPU calls a play that involves this package, the defense, made up of entirely offensive players, will pile up in the middle, directly in front of the offensive center. The package shows up in formation subs as well (only in-game with relevant playbook I imagine). Switching to the original gamedata.dat file and seeing it not exist there is all the evidence I need to conclude that the mod is botched. I'm going to make a sad attempt to fix this on my end and will share a patched gamedata.dat file if I'm successful.

Edit: Yup, tested this with that saved file with the promised freeze I mentioned previously, using BAL- J. Harbaugh's defensive playbook. No freeze. There for it must be 100% the fault of the Gamedata.dat file. From my understanding, the only purpose for it's inclusion is to implement updated playbooks that I give zero F's about. So its's an easy solution for me to simply delete it and rename 'GAMEDATA.dat-bak' to GAMEDATA.dat

For those who have a few F's to give, point to this thread to help push for a fix.

I had the Ravens crash on me yesterday too, It's not the mod that's botched though just the playbooks. Report this on the 2020-22 playbook thread and maybe he'll fix it. On the files thread there's a link to Madden 2011's GAMEDATA that you can use until my playbook project is completed.

I wouldn't share that edited GAMEDATA file if I were you, that's not your project and it goes against site rules. The owner of that project would be upset, even though you're just trying to help.

Mazeballz
Rookie

Postby Mazeballz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm

TheRareButter wrote:
Mazeballz wrote:After further investigating-> The issue, from what I can tell, is probably caused by the FF/FI mod's "Core Files (Updated 4/5/2021)". The Gamedata.dat file included appears to add a base Nickel formation where every position is held by QB0. You can observe this by going to Profile, then custom packages, then reviewing the third Nickel package. On the occasion the pc can handle that mess, when the CPU calls a play that involves this package, the defense, made up of entirely offensive players, will pile up in the middle, directly in front of the offensive center. The package shows up in formation subs as well (only in-game with relevant playbook I imagine). Switching to the original gamedata.dat file and seeing it not exist there is all the evidence I need to conclude that the mod is botched. I'm going to make a sad attempt to fix this on my end and will share a patched gamedata.dat file if I'm successful.

I had the Ravens crash on me yesterday too, It's not the mod that's botched though just the playbooks. Report this on the 2020-22 playbook thread and maybe he'll fix it. On the files thread there's a link to Madden 2011's GAMEDATA that you can use until my playbook project is completed.

I wouldn't share that edited GAMEDATA file if I were you, that's not your project and it goes against site rules. The owner of that project would be upset, even though you're just trying to help.

I might try your playbook project when it's completed. Otherwise, I'll be fine using the original playbooks :)

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 pm

Mazeballz wrote:
TheRareButter wrote:

I might try your playbook project when it's completed. Otherwise, I'll be fine using the original playbooks :)

Another Ideas that could possibly work (for personal use only) would be to open up the playbook in an editor and redo all the PBAI values. Since the crash happens in the redzone, or goal line in my experience, that leads me to believe it's an issue with the play calling engine.

Return to “Troubleshooting”