Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 04-2020

Madden crashing, franchise corrupt, games won't sim? Get help here.
madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 10-2017

Postby madden07eurocat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 pm

RevanFan wrote:
rambolz wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:The program costs $250 or does the trial keep working?

IIRC there was an option during installation which asked whether it's for personal use (free) or other use (buy a license).

VMware Player is free. You just get more features with a license. Pro is what you can't use for free.

Yeah, I'm testing with the player version, but it may not be necessary. I have a copy of Win10 before the 1709 update and I was able to wipe the OS drive and reinstall it to the SSD. As long as I have that and Defender keeps updating it's protection info I should be good. I just can't update via the Windows Update page. I used win7 like that for a few years and I never updated the system. If I had a system that would work with win7, I would definitely stay with that. I don't know what they did with this last update, but I hope it can be identified and a fix developed.
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 10-2017

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
rambolz wrote:IIRC there was an option during installation which asked whether it's for personal use (free) or other use (buy a license).

VMware Player is free. You just get more features with a license. Pro is what you can't use for free.

Yeah, I'm testing with the player version, but it may not be necessary. I have a copy of Win10 before the 1709 update and I was able to wipe the OS drive and reinstall it to the SSD. As long as I have that and Defender keeps updating it's protection info I should be good. I just can't update via the Windows Update page. I used win7 like that for a few years and I never updated the system. If I had a system that would work with win7, I would definitely stay with that. I don't know what they did with this last update, but I hope it can be identified and a fix developed.

I recommend using something other than Defender. Defender is... poor. It's getting a bit better, but it's still poor overall.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JPMoneyman
All-Pro

Postby JPMoneyman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:13 am

After some playing around with the game in terms of seeing if there's a pattern to the crashing I seem to have noticed that it does in fact occur with penalties. Not all though. False starts and any penalty that occurs before a play begins or at the end of a play doesn't seem cause a crash. However any play that happens during a play (eg. Holding or clipping) seems to initiate the crash when the yellow penalty bar flashes on the screen during the play. At this point the game crashes. (Maybe playing without penalties is the way to overcome it but that's pretty dumb in my opinion).

So I have been having a problem with not just Madden but a couple of other games. One of the developers for one of those games said something interesting after corresponding with us about various crashes and I thought maybe that might be something that is happening with Madden 08. This is what he said (part of a quote):

"It appears that a lot of games have this issue. From what I've read, this is a Windows issue that is caused by other programs interfering with one of the DLL files that is responsible for writing and accessing memory." - Danny Jugan? (Axis Football).

He said something about overclocking, outdated drivers and malware as well. But I was thinking maybe it's the interference with the DLL files? (I say that cause my CPU doesn't have any overclocking that I am aware of, my drivers are up to date and I don't have any malware (not that my anti virus/anti-malware programs have been able to detect at least). What do you guys think? Any computer experts out there that have an opinion? (cause I am just a CPU user and I don't know enough to figure it out!)
If that were the issue is there any way of figuring out what programs are causing interference with the game?

I don't know. At this point I can't roll back the Windows update. Might definitely be in the too hard basket eh? Might have to find and fire up an old cpu if I can find one lying around!

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 am

JPMoneyman wrote:After some playing around with the game in terms of seeing if there's a pattern to the crashing I seem to have noticed that it does in fact occur with penalties. Not all though. False starts and any penalty that occurs before a play begins or at the end of a play doesn't seem cause a crash. However any play that happens during a play (eg. Holding or clipping) seems to initiate the crash when the yellow penalty bar flashes on the screen during the play. At this point the game crashes. (Maybe playing without penalties is the way to overcome it but that's pretty dumb in my opinion).

So I have been having a problem with not just Madden but a couple of other games. One of the developers for one of those games said something interesting after corresponding with us about various crashes and I thought maybe that might be something that is happening with Madden 08. This is what he said (part of a quote):

"It appears that a lot of games have this issue. From what I've read, this is a Windows issue that is caused by other programs interfering with one of the DLL files that is responsible for writing and accessing memory." - Danny Jugan? (Axis Football).

He said something about overclocking, outdated drivers and malware as well. But I was thinking maybe it's the interference with the DLL files? (I say that cause my CPU doesn't have any overclocking that I am aware of, my drivers are up to date and I don't have any malware (not that my anti virus/anti-malware programs have been able to detect at least). What do you guys think? Any computer experts out there that have an opinion? (cause I am just a CPU user and I don't know enough to figure it out!)
If that were the issue is there any way of figuring out what programs are causing interference with the game?

I don't know. At this point I can't roll back the Windows update. Might definitely be in the too hard basket eh? Might have to find and fire up an old cpu if I can find one lying around!

I rolled my build back to the 1703 update and I still had the problems. It seems there is something left on the PC even after rolling it back. The only way that I was able to cure this is wiping the hard drive via my MoBo's clean erase feature and reinstalling an earlier version of w10 on my PC, while making sure not to check for updates and then after the installation making sure the update feature was turned off. That's why I said that not everyone is going to be able to do that since they may not have that feature on their MoBo or an earlier version of windows to install, or a combo of the two. I would agree with the dll issue, but then again I'm far from a programmer.

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 am

RevanFan wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:VMware Player is free. You just get more features with a license. Pro is what you can't use for free.

I recommend using something other than Defender. Defender is... poor. It's getting a bit better, but it's still poor overall.
Any suggestions on a sub for Defender? I find that some of the software packages really slow down your PC (ie-Norton Utilities). I used to have malwarebytes on my older OC. Is that any better IYO? I can look at the data, but that gives me no real world experience.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:29 pm

JPMoneyman wrote:After some playing around with the game in terms of seeing if there's a pattern to the crashing I seem to have noticed that it does in fact occur with penalties. Not all though. False starts and any penalty that occurs before a play begins or at the end of a play doesn't seem cause a crash. However any play that happens during a play (eg. Holding or clipping) seems to initiate the crash when the yellow penalty bar flashes on the screen during the play. At this point the game crashes. (Maybe playing without penalties is the way to overcome it but that's pretty dumb in my opinion).

The reason for that is because most pre-snap penalties don't cause the graphical menu for accepting or declining to come up. Penalties like false starts are automatic, so no need to accept or decline. If you get a delay of game penalty, the game will crash because it'll bring up that menu to ask if you want to accept or decline that penalty.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:Yeah, I'm testing with the player version, but it may not be necessary. I have a copy of Win10 before the 1709 update and I was able to wipe the OS drive and reinstall it to the SSD. As long as I have that and Defender keeps updating it's protection info I should be good. I just can't update via the Windows Update page. I used win7 like that for a few years and I never updated the system. If I had a system that would work with win7, I would definitely stay with that. I don't know what they did with this last update, but I hope it can be identified and a fix developed.

Any suggestions on a sub for Defender? I find that some of the software packages really slow down your PC (ie-Norton Utilities). I used to have malwarebytes on my older OC. Is that any better IYO? I can look at the data, but that gives me no real world experience.

Norton is terrible.

I recommend Avast for a free AV program, and BitDefender for a payed AV program. And for anti-malware, I suggest MalwareBytes. If you want to pay for a second opinion scanner, HitmanPro and Zemana are both great, but HitmanPro probably has the edge.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

tomkatt
All-Pro

Postby tomkatt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:What is the advantage of having W10 on your PC? W7 worked just fine for me.

Newer hardware will only support Windows 10. I HAD to have Windows 10 because my new CPU is Coffee Lake.
Yeah, I'm running into the same situation with my Ryzen 7-1700. I tried the virtual box solution and I get an error on install that my AMD-V is disabled in my MoBo BIOS. I have yet to identify it on the board BIOS so installation is at a standstill.

On an AMD board it may be referred to as "IOMMU" and is generally disabled by default.

tomkatt
All-Pro

Postby tomkatt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm

RevanFan wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Newer hardware will only support Windows 10. I HAD to have Windows 10 because my new CPU is Coffee Lake.
Yeah, I'm running into the same situation with my Ryzen 7-1700. I tried the virtual box solution and I get an error on install that my AMD-V is disabled in my MoBo BIOS. I have yet to identify it on the board BIOS so installation is at a standstill.

Try VMware. It's better for gaming anyway. And your motherboard shouldn't have anything blocking virtualization.

Motherboard doesn't "block" virtualization, so much as AMD-V and Intel's VT-x are often disabled by default on the boards. You just have to enable it.

tomkatt
All-Pro

Postby tomkatt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm not 100% on this but it's my understanding that Windows 10 Creators update 1709 has changed something about the way DirectX9 calls are made, and it seems to *only* be DirectX9. I had similar issues with another recent DX9 game (Fire Pro Wrestling World) but the seemed able to fix the problems with a patch. That said, I don't see Madden 08 being patched any time before the heat death of the universe, so not sure what options we have going forward with this, unless virtualization solves the issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting”