Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 10-2017

Madden crashing, franchise corrupt, games won't sim? Get help here.
User avatar
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am

Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 10-2017

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Update revision 10-2017 for W10 Users *added video card driver download file links...for all Windows OSes.

Hello all,
I have seen some new people post in troubleshooting and just sharing what works for me. This post may help those who have just recently got madden 2008 for pc or who have been playing but having issues freezing/crashing.

For win 7/8 but may also work for xp
1. install madden 2008
2. don't run or click it until you do the next couple of steps
3. update your direct x to the latest version from microsoft (direct x 11 or later) **W10/8.1/7/XP see updated link under NOTE 3 in red
the latest direct x will improve your graphics and smooth out gameplay.
4. Next restart computer if the install for direct x says to as the computer restarting will let the registry get updated with the right dll files and reg keys.
5. Once restarted RIGHT click on the madden 2008 icon and click PROPERTIES
6. Click on the tab COMPATIBILITY
7. Under the box COMPATIBILITY MODE click WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3 and check mark “RUN THIS PROGRAM in COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR:”
NOTE: This game was designed best for Windows XP that's why it works best on this mode in vista/7/8.
8. Click apply and then ok to exit the madden 2008 properties
9. Try to play the game, if it crashes or is slow then move onto the next step if not then your good to go.
10. If madden crashes or is slow adjust your screen resolution both OUTSIDE the game by clicking display settings in control panel and adjusting the screen resolution INSIDE the game (game settings in madden 2008 menu button on the main splash screen once game is loaded)
NOTE: If you are running madden on a laptop I have found the 800x600 resolution makes the game go faster/smoother as opposed to going to 1440x900 or higher. Remember the higher resolution may give more detail but burden your video card and make your game more sluggish.
I suggest going with a lower resolution for decent graphics and smooth game play but you may have to adjust depending on your hardware (video card) and personal preferences.
11. (OPTIONAL) If you really want great performance for this or any other pc video game I recommend this software called IOBIT Game Booster version 3.4 which you can download here....
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/download/Ga ... 25567.html
Note: DO NOT DOWNLOAD Razer game booster (the newer version) as it requires you to login to STEAM online gaming and is a real pain in the rear to work with as it complicates and locks down good features in the old version. (I have used the software I recommend for years with very good results and they are free from all malware/viruses.)
12. Once you have installed it open up game booster v3.4 (the icon looks like an rpm meter on a car) then click add on the game box or drag and drop the madden 2008 icon onto game booster
13. Next click on the madden icon WITHIN the game box of game booster and click configure...
14. Here you can turn off windows processes that may slow down your pc and hog resources such as memory from Madden 2008 leading to poorer gameplay.
Note: Please be careful as you determine which processes to turn off especially leave explorer.exe alone as it is your windows environment DO NOT TURN IT OFF as your desktop will turn off with it. But services such as ITUNES helper, bluetooth etc you can turn off if you do not use it for madden but if its a Btooth keyboard and mouse leave it on or you won't have a controller :)
Note: You have been warned and I will not be held accountable for anything that happens to your pc as a result of turning off explorer.exe or any other system essential process. You are responsible for what you do on your machine!
15. Click apply and then go back to your gamebox and click within gamebooster the madden 08 icon. And then click BOOST and Launch.
16. Madden 08 will start up with these unnecessary services turned off freeing more resources (memory ) for your game
17. Once you exit Madden 2008 these services will restart ( the ones you have turned off for the game) leaving your pc how it was when it started up
18. Also you will have a new “power plan” in control panel labeled Gaming mode for laptop users you can adjust screen brightness, cpu power and more in this power profile which activates when you BOOST and Launch the game within game booster.

19. Regardless of if you use game booster or not ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS defragment your hard drive ( I recommend a program called iobit smart defrag) as it will pack your files tighter in the hard drive leaving more space for the game to read and write to the hard drive = faster gameplay) your pc will also be faster in other tasks such as web browsing, downloading etc....)

20. The most important step.....JUST HAVE FUN! :)

I hope this helps and if you have any other technical questions/problems about madden 08 feel free to PM me and I will try to get back asap.

Now go play some madden!
- ultimatum77

* NOTE - for windows 10 users, forum members have reported mostly success for running madden 08 and a few of the modding utilities. I have not tried madden 08 on Win 10 but most have reported that the direct X built in on W10 is compatible with madden 08. If you have issues you may want to try the above steps starting with uninstalling madden 08 on W10 and going directly to step 3 and installing direct X files (legacy/old) needed for madden 08 rebooting then proceeding with madden 08 install and the following steps.
** Always have your graphics card drivers installed/updated with latest AMD/INtel/Nvidia/Whatever manufacturer's own drivers if possible or latest windows display driver for you card BEFORE installing madden 08 or any game.


**Note 2 - After discussing with W10 users, there has been a round of updates for W10 (also W7 and W8) that have been messing up EA and 2K games. I would suggest turning off updates to prevent this issue or setting a restore point for your current working games within windows. However, if you do have issues running the games search for W10 updates pertaining to your game that may cause it to crash. Also several users have said that once you click compatibility mode for madden 08 in W10. You need to restart your computer before launching the game so that it will work upon opening it.


***Note 3 - Some W10 users have had issues with W10 (upgrade from W8.1 or clean install) having the required direct X files for madden 08 to run smoothly. I have had several users try this download package of Direct X files on W10 and reported success. If you need direct X files for W7/8/10 or even XP use this link...[color=#0000BF]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downloa ... px?id=8109

[/color]

If anyone needs help just pm me and I'll get back asap to you.
[color=#80FF00]
****NEW if you are on W10 and need .netframework (which direct X and older programs like M08 use) see this link....to download the offline installer
NOTE DO NOT Download the developer pack (unless you want to download for hours/useless megabits) but scroll halfway through the page and it will list all the .net frameworks, first install 3.5 and then 4.5 up to 4.6.2 ....the link for 3.5 I will add on later but this has 4.5-4.6.2 and will be useful for things like NZA utilities and madden08 direct X to run smoother....
[/color]

LINK:


.net framework 3.5

Link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

.net framework 4.5 -4.6.2

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek(v=vs.110).aspx



To install .net framework 3.5 and 4.5 in Win8 only! go to control panel > turn windows features on/off> then checkmark/darken the boxes for .net framework 3.5 and 4.5 advanced services....then let windows install it by itself (takes 10-15min maybe more) also be sure to keep windows 8.1 install disc handy if it asks (most likely not but in case) and then restart your computer

Note you may have to reinstall madden or direct X for smoothest gameplay once .netframeworks are installed.


UPDATE 12-2016
If you are installing Win 10 always always always! Do the upgrade and keep files over a clean install as it will have the necessary old direct X files and .net frameworks but it is worth the longer install time and keeping your games functioning without needing to install new software...

Also if you are having video card driver issues....you do not need windows update you can use a program called "double driver" where you can backup your video driver on your windows 7/8 pc and save it to a usb stick and once you install windows 10 use double driver to reinstall the driver for video card via it's restore function.....It's so simple and also allows the W10 system to decrease/increase brightness and use video card memory instead of the generic "microsoft display adapter" thats usually displayed.....

Double driver link:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... river.html



Update 1-2017; Some users are reporting firewall issues (windows firewall) that may block their game from being activated or playing P2P online matches against fellow FI users. Remember to add Madden08 and EASportsonline to the "exception" list within your respective firewall. While you're at it also check your anti-virus to make sure these two programs are also "white listed/unblocked".


NEW W10: Some users have said that Java is not installed by default in windows anymore that once they installed it their game began to work....

here are links to the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Java update for windows...

32 bit
http://www.filehorse.com/download-java-runtime-32/

64 bit
http://www.filehorse.com/download-java-runtime-64/



VIDEO CARD DRIVERS FOR ATI, NVIDIA, INTEL

Please click the link and scroll down to your respective windows version xp,7,8,10 and also 32 bit or 64 bit.....to download the appropriate driver click download...and follow prompts....

ATI:

http://www.filehorse.com/search?q=ati+driver

INTEL:

http://www.filehorse.com/search?q=intel+graphics+driver

NVIDIA:

http://www.filehorse.com/search?q=nvidia+driver

please realize most of these files are 200mb+ and include OEM software to best use your video card....do not use the generic MS display adapter listed on stock windows for gaming...it is worthless...instead use these files and install the video card driver for maximum gaming performance and smoothness.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 10-2017

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

User avatar
mee
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Location: New York

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby mee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:**Note 2 - After discussing with W10 users, there has been a round of updates for W10 (also W7 and W8) that have been messing up EA and 2K games. I would suggest turning off updates to prevent this issue or setting a restore point for your current working games within windows. However, if you do have issues running the games search for W10 updates pertaining to your game that may cause it to crash. Also several users have said that once you click compatibility mode for madden 08 in W10. You need to restart your computer before launching the game so that it will work upon opening it.

Gonna pinch in a bit. What the troublesome updates does is
it addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver.
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-097

The secdrv.sys is the security the game uses to confirm you are using a real disc.

To solve we have to fix the secdrv.sys.
Method 1)
Edit the registry directly.
To do this, follow these steps:
1)Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2)Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
3)Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
4)In the Value data box, do one of the following:
Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
4)Exit Registry Editor.
Disclaimer KEEP A BACKUP!!

Method 2)
Edit the secdrv.sys to automatic(does the above for you)
1) Run an elevated command prompt from the desktop (by pressing Windows key+X and selecting Command Prompt (Admin))
2) Type in this command:
sc config secdrv start=auto




I used the second method.
Thanks to users on MVPmods.com for solving this issue.


After any of these method you may have to restart your PC.
I'm the GM of a sim-hockey league, in which you can play as a player.
Journal and sign-up instructions here
Image

User avatar
RevanFan
Legend
Posts: 10349
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: New York

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm stickying this thread. Anyone moving to Windows 10 may need it.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

User avatar
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:34 am

mee wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:**Note 2 - After discussing with W10 users, there has been a round of updates for W10 (also W7 and W8) that have been messing up EA and 2K games. I would suggest turning off updates to prevent this issue or setting a restore point for your current working games within windows. However, if you do have issues running the games search for W10 updates pertaining to your game that may cause it to crash. Also several users have said that once you click compatibility mode for madden 08 in W10. You need to restart your computer before launching the game so that it will work upon opening it.

Gonna pinch in a bit. What the troublesome updates does is
it addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver.
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-097

The secdrv.sys is the security the game uses to confirm you are using a real disc.

To solve we have to fix the secdrv.sys.
Method 1)
Edit the registry directly.
To do this, follow these steps:
1)Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2)Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
3)Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
4)In the Value data box, do one of the following:
Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
4)Exit Registry Editor.
Disclaimer KEEP A BACKUP!!

Method 2)
Edit the secdrv.sys to automatic(does the above for you)
1) Run an elevated command prompt from the desktop (by pressing Windows key+X and selecting Command Prompt (Admin))
2) Type in this command:
sc config secdrv start=auto




I used the second method.
Thanks to users on MVPmods.com for solving this issue.

After any of these method you may have to restart your PC.

Thanks mee! This will help new W10 users with madden 08 and other games! If anyone else has info about getting madden08 to work in W10, please post as it will help our fellow members.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

User avatar
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 am

RevanFan wrote:I'm stickying this thread. Anyone moving to Windows 10 may need it.


Thanks RevanFan! Been getting similar questions from new W10 users w/madden08, so stickying this will help a lot of new guys to W10 and cut back on troubleshooting posts for this issue.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

User avatar
mouf
Rookie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby mouf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 pm

mee wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:**Note 2 - After discussing with W10 users, there has been a round of updates for W10 (also W7 and W8) that have been messing up EA and 2K games. I would suggest turning off updates to prevent this issue or setting a restore point for your current working games within windows. However, if you do have issues running the games search for W10 updates pertaining to your game that may cause it to crash. Also several users have said that once you click compatibility mode for madden 08 in W10. You need to restart your computer before launching the game so that it will work upon opening it.

Gonna pinch in a bit. What the troublesome updates does is
it addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver.
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-097

The secdrv.sys is the security the game uses to confirm you are using a real disc.

To solve we have to fix the secdrv.sys.
Method 1)
Edit the registry directly.
To do this, follow these steps:
1)Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2)Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
3)Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
4)In the Value data box, do one of the following:
Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
4)Exit Registry Editor.
Disclaimer KEEP A BACKUP!!

Method 2)
Edit the secdrv.sys to automatic(does the above for you)
1) Run an elevated command prompt from the desktop (by pressing Windows key+X and selecting Command Prompt (Admin))
2) Type in this command:
sc config secdrv start=auto




I used the second method.
Thanks to users on MVPmods.com for solving this issue.


After any of these method you may have to restart your PC.


Mee I tried doing method two and received an error message. I then tried to manually find the registry key per method one and found it does not exist. Here is the error message.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HEn710oNCyMjdQZllkbVp0Rm8/view

Here is the link to my original post where I was directed over this way.

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17614&p=74356#p74356

User avatar
mee
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Location: New York

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby mee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:18 pm

It seems ultiman doesn't realize this
MY REGISTRY UPDATE ONLY WORKS FOR WINDOWS 7 AND 8, AS SHOWN BY mouf THE WINDOWS 10 NEEDS THE secdrv.sys DRIVER!
AS WELL AS THE REGISTRY UPDATE IS ONLY NEEDED FOR THE CD-ROM VERSION NOT THE AMAZON DOWNLOAD.
To do that
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-10-this-will/65a6fe83-08df-4760-b2ad-6b1ce61d40d4?page=3&auth=1
A workaround is to copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 / 8.1 machine, self sign the driver, and enter into testsigning boot mode.

You can do this manually or use 3rd party programs to do it.

First copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 machine to c:\windows\system32\drivers. You can also download it here. Same file as the one I got from a vanilla windows 8.1 install v 4.3.86.0 md5 3ea8a16169c26afbeb544e0e48421186

Then self sign the driver. You can use a program Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to do this: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Or read about doing it yourself here. You will also need to make the certificate.

Then enable TESTSIGNING boot mode by opening an admin command prompt and typing: bcdedit -set testsigning on

Now safedisc games should work.

You will get an annoying watermark in testsigning mode. You can remove it using thisprogram. Or read about removing it manually here.

I tested secdrv.sys and the above programs in Windows 10 Pro x64 and confirms that it does work.

Post by Adam Bise.
I'm the GM of a sim-hockey league, in which you can play as a player.
Journal and sign-up instructions here
Image

User avatar
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 am

mee wrote:It seems ultiman doesn't realize this
MY REGISTRY UPDATE ONLY WORKS FOR WINDOWS 7 AND 8, AS SHOWN BY mouf THE WINDOWS 10 NEEDS THE secdrv.sys DRIVER!
AS WELL AS THE REGISTRY UPDATE IS ONLY NEEDED FOR THE CD-ROM VERSION NOT THE AMAZON DOWNLOAD.
To do that
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-10-this-will/65a6fe83-08df-4760-b2ad-6b1ce61d40d4?page=3&auth=1
A workaround is to copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 / 8.1 machine, self sign the driver, and enter into testsigning boot mode.

You can do this manually or use 3rd party programs to do it.

First copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 machine to c:\windows\system32\drivers. You can also download it here. Same file as the one I got from a vanilla windows 8.1 install v 4.3.86.0 md5 3ea8a16169c26afbeb544e0e48421186

Then self sign the driver. You can use a program Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to do this: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Or read about doing it yourself here. You will also need to make the certificate.

Then enable TESTSIGNING boot mode by opening an admin command prompt and typing: bcdedit -set testsigning on

Now safedisc games should work.

You will get an annoying watermark in testsigning mode. You can remove it using thisprogram. Or read about removing it manually here.

I tested secdrv.sys and the above programs in Windows 10 Pro x64 and confirms that it does work.

Post by Adam Bise.


Cool thanks for letting me know, I didn't know the registry update was only for W7/8.1. I'm sure this will help user mouf but the process does seem a little involved. Is there a way for you to post the file here (if it's a small file size?/pm it to me (btw: i'll be sure to give you credit) or is this driver specifically signed to your userprofile/machine? If you can upload it, It would help numerous W10 users with madden08 as I don't have W10 and can't really help them much.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

User avatar
mee
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Location: New York

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby mee » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:52 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:Cool thanks for letting me know, I didn't know the registry update was only for W7/8.1. I'm sure this will help user mouf but the process does seem a little involved. Is there a way for you to post the file here (if it's a small file size?/pm it to me (btw: i'll be sure to give you credit) or is this driver specifically signed to your userprofile/machine? If you can upload it, It would help numerous W10 users with madden08 as I don't have W10 and can't really help them much.

I don't have W10
I'm the GM of a sim-hockey league, in which you can play as a player.
Journal and sign-up instructions here
Image

User avatar
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Attn: W10/8.1/7/XP Users with issues running madden08 update revision 11-2015

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:58 pm

mee wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:Cool thanks for letting me know, I didn't know the registry update was only for W7/8.1. I'm sure this will help user mouf but the process does seem a little involved. Is there a way for you to post the file here (if it's a small file size?/pm it to me (btw: i'll be sure to give you credit) or is this driver specifically signed to your userprofile/machine? If you can upload it, It would help numerous W10 users with madden08 as I don't have W10 and can't really help them much.

I don't have W10


K, I am trying another workaround and will update this guide if it works.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.


Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests