To start, when you're having crashing in Madden, identify where it happened. Make note whether it happened in a menu, in an actual game, while simulating, etc. When you figure out where the crash happens, you can begin troubleshooting. If it happens in a game, for instance, it could be a roster issue. If it happens in a menu, it could be a mod issue or a system issue. If it happens while simulating, it could be a franchise-specific issue.
The first step in diagnosing a crash is to check the roster for issues. Follow these basic tips.
- 1. If you've made changes to any team outside of the game in an editor, such as NZA's Editor, use an editor to take control of all teams that were edited. Then go back in game, and auto-reorder the depth charts of all teams affected. You can do this by going into the depth chart part of roster management in roster or franchise mode. Additionally, make sure you clear any set substitutions.
- 2. Make sure no teams have more than 55 players. If an affected team is over that number, release players until they are at 55 or fewer.
- 3. Check the roster breakdown to make sure all teams meet the minimum requirements at each position. If not, sign players until requirements are met.
- 4. Check to make sure there are no more than 400-450 free agents. You can do this in NZA's Editor version 1.3.
- 5. Check to make sure there are no injured free agents, and make sure no free agents have contracts listed.
- 6. Make sure there are enough free agents available at each position. If there are none available at a certain position, release players from teams until enough free agents are available.
- 7. Make sure all players on the 32 main teams have contracts. If they don't, or if you think there's something wrong with the contract, give them a new one in-game.
- 8. Using NZA's Editor version 1.3, make sure each of the 32 teams has four coaches, one each of the following: Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator,
Defensive Coordinator, and Special Teams Coordinator.
- 9. If you experience crashes during certain points of a game, try resetting all of your formation substitutions. That can clear potential issues if a player was moved using an editor.
- 10. If your crashing is happening right after a penalty occurs or while trying to view player roles in-game, it's probably due to a Windows 10 update. You will need to run Madden through Calhoupe's Madden Scripts to stop the crashing.
- 11. If none of the above helps, check your system settings to make sure everything works well for your system.
- 12. If none of the above helps, also check to make sure you have any mods or other changes installed correctly. Uninstall and reinstall them if you're not sure.
If none of those basic tips work, you have two options. First, please gather as much detailed information as you can, and search the forum for your issue. If you can't find any answers, post a topic in the Troubleshooting subform, describing your issue in as much detail as you can possibly provide. The more detail you give, the easier it will be to help you fix advanced issues. If we can't even help you, try uninstalling the game, deleting all folders associated with it, and reinstalling it.
Make sure to check the Starting Guide for New Players to make sure you have any necessary updates and runtimes to allow the game to run normally. Additionally, download MadMod X, if you don't have it already, as it contains the tools you'll need to troubleshoot some of these issues.
This post has been rewritten and adjusted with the permission of the site owner. The original contents are below:
Code: Select all
Occasionally the Madden NFL 08 game will behave irrationally due to roster/franchise file related issues. Typically, the game will either crash, freeze or refuse to simulate certain games.
Teams missing players at key positions. Check each roster under "breakdown" to ensure that each team has the minimum required players for each position.
Rosters not re-ordered after changes made. If changes were made, especially in a third-party editor such as NZA or MaddenAmp, the depth charts may have been skewed, which can cause a crash. Take control of all 32 teams in MaddenAmp or NZA, go into the game and select "auto re-order" for each team. Do not rearrange depth charts in a third-party editor as the results are unpredictable.
Too many free agents. If there are more than 430 free agents, the game can crash.
Not enough free agents at a particular position. This could be preventing the game from replacing injured players on CPU-controlled teams. Create some new players, or take control of teams which have too many players at given positions (for example, a team which has three kickers) and cut them to the free agent pool.
Players on roster without contracts. This can happen especially if players are being moved around in a third-party editor.
Wrong number of coaches, coaching position unfilled or dual coaches at a position. Each team should have a HC, OC, DC and ST.