Franchise Corrupt

Madden crashing, franchise corrupt, games won't sim? Get help here.
Hobbes15
Rookie

Franchise Corrupt

Postby Hobbes15 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 pm

I have a Madden roster file which I played for a considerable time, before it suddenly stopped loading for me a few years back. I had sort of given up on it until rediscovering this site, and was curious if there's any way to "fix" a franchise file to allow it to load or edit it to see what could be causing it to have issues. To clarify, the file will simply not load in game (in-game message is "There was an error loading the file. It may be damaged."). The only unique aspect about it is it started off with the standard modded roster file from a few years ago (I want to say ~2012 or so) rather than the 2008 default roster, but I haven't done any more exotic or involved modding beyond that roster update. I would attach the file here but the forum says it is too large to include (not sure what the limit is but it is ~10K KB) so would appreciate any advice or suggestions people have if this issue has come up before.

Thanks!

Franchise Corrupt

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Franchise Corrupt

Postby Danchat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:32 am

Hobbes15 wrote:I have a Madden roster file which I played for a considerable time, before it suddenly stopped loading for me a few years back. I had sort of given up on it until rediscovering this site, and was curious if there's any way to "fix" a franchise file to allow it to load or edit it to see what could be causing it to have issues. To clarify, the file will simply not load in game (in-game message is "There was an error loading the file. It may be damaged."). The only unique aspect about it is it started off with the standard modded roster file from a few years ago (I want to say ~2012 or so) rather than the 2008 default roster, but I haven't done any more exotic or involved modding beyond that roster update. I would attach the file here but the forum says it is too large to include (not sure what the limit is but it is ~10K KB) so would appreciate any advice or suggestions people have if this issue has come up before.

Thanks!

Hmmm... I haven't seen that error before, but it can't be good. The only thing I can think of would be to use editors (NZA, MaddenAMP, etc.) to try and figure out what is corrupted, but that may prove to be a difficult/impossible task. Finding errors when viewing the franchise in-game is much easier.

You can compress the franchise file into a .zip file or something of a similar sort and upload it here.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Hobbes15
Rookie

Postby Hobbes15 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 am

Yeah, I don't have high expectations because it does seem like a difficult task to figure out what the problem might be, but I figured it was worth a try. The franchise file is compressed into a zip file and attached here. Let me know if you or anybody else is able to notice anything that seems amiss and/or fixable about it.
Attachments
IndyModernRoster.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 49 times

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 am

Did you run through all the different troubleshooting steps that are available here?

A couple things I seem to run into on a fairly regular basis are a CPU team that doesn't sign players to compensate for injury (putting them below the number of required players at a particular position) and teams who suddenly have a coach drop off and don't resign a new one. You can fix both issues using NZA's editor or MaddenAmp. But, my best suggestion is to run through the troubleshooting check list that's post here.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 am

I've only ever seen this issue once before. I never could figure it out and I gave up.

Try a few things. First, download MadMod X, and try to load the franchise in the DB Editor and NZA's Editor. Also, you may want to try Madden Amp. Does the franchise load in those utilities? Does it allow you to make changes without an error?

Additionally, is there a chance your drive may be failing? Is it a hard drive or solid state drive? How old is it? Have you tried downloading a program like Crystal Disk Info to see if there's any corrupt sectors and to confirm that it passes the SMART test?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am

It's possible you have hard drive issues, but regardless you have done some heavy customization.
There are tons of records that are marked as deleted but have not been removed.
You have 2 extra colts teams, and possibly some corruption going on in the team table.
Several coach duplicates and one of those extra colts teams has 7 coaches assigned to it.
Just a few things I found in a couple minutes. I would try the db editor and see if you can fix up some of these, that may or may not be causing your problems.

Hobbes15
Rookie

Postby Hobbes15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone - a few points:

@RevanFan - the franchise loads in NZA Editor but I can't seem to get it to open in DB Editor, although that may be my own problem rather than the file as I've never used these before today. I play the game itself off of an external hard drive, but the franchise files are saved to the actual hard drive of the computer itself, and I don't think either are likely to be failing given that there are no other issues with them and all other franchise files load with no issues. I have noticed that I often get "unhandled exception" errors in the NZA and DB editors from clicking on random things, saying "arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow," although I can generally just ignore them with no issues and I'm not sure if that is a normal thing to have happen or not. Just thought I would mention it in case it says something about the file being corrupt in multiple areas if that is not a regular thing to come across.

@StingRay68: I honestly haven't done any customization beyond running the team for ~10+ seasons and initially including the 2012 or 2013 roster files rather than the 2008 game originals. The extra teams/records may have been a result of the game crashing while saving and screwing it up, but I agree that they may be the issue. Is there a guide to using the DB editor that I could find to figure out how to remove those glitched/extra Colts teams? I have scanned around a bit but have not found a guide specifically geared at using that utility in the tutorials section or elsewhere.

In general, I hope that the issues spotted by StingRay68 are what's causing the problem but if not, is there any way I could simply download all of the rosters of the teams that work and use them to start a new franchise? It might be more trouble than it's worth but could also be simpler than trying to fix a file which could be corrupt in any number of places, so if that is a more straightforward process I'd be willing to try that as well.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:04 am

If you are using the new FF/FI Mod updates.... Nza's Editor 1.3 certain College team will cause a crash when using Nza. Now the game crashes are usually caused by not enough players for a position or coaches signed, in a certain roster. Too many players signed to a team along with too many coaches.Also if you have the wrong DB_TEMPLATES.dat in your game.
I downloaded your .fra file and opened it in DB Editor...

MaddenDBEditor_open.png
MaddenDBEditor_open.png (106.12 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

with no errors.

I then opened it in Nza...I did get the error ..I hit continue and found this...

Madden Editor 1.3.png
Madden Editor 1.3.png (61.53 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

I think what is circled in RED is your problem.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:37 am

Honestly, I think it might just be because you created your franchise using an older roster from before we knew about some of these issues. Have you tried converting your franchise back into a roster using the FF/FI Mod's default roster as a base? If you try that, and create a new franchise with it, it should work. Though it isn't guaranteed.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Hobbes15
Rookie

Postby Hobbes15 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:57 pm

@RevanFan - I was able to successfully convert the franchise into a roster using your guide found on this site and restart a new franchise without glitches (so far), which is excellent. However, the new file has the same erroneous teams highlighted by others pop up in the NZA editor, implying that that may not have been the issue with the old franchise as it seems to have carried over somehow. I will continue playing around with the original from time to time in DB/NZA editors to see if I can figure out any other possibilities to repair it, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to get the old file functional again which is unfortunate as it does kinda suck to lose over a decade's worth of stats/awards/game history/records. Let me know if you have any advice to import those into the new franchise, an easy way to export historical stats and data, or just a guide to understanding what abbreviations in the DB editor stand for as it is difficult to decipher what a lot of the fields are.

Really appreciate the help from everyone here - although I haven't managed to fix the old file it is great to be able to get the roster back in its current state even in a new franchise!

Return to “Troubleshooting”