Madden 04 and Windows 10

Said by some PC'ers to be the best version.
Leeman67
MVP

Madden 04 and Windows 10

Postby Leeman67 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:52 pm

I've been out of commission for awhile now due to my pc crashing, so I finally got around to purchasing a new PC. Downside to that is that i'm now stuck with Windows 10, which doesn't really work with 04 (at least so far). Well, some good news... I was able to get it to work. First I installed from my discs using compatibility mode to do so. Then once installed, I changed the madden.ini file so that it plays in window mode and also the .exe file to compatibility mode. Wa-la, it works!

Ok, but all is still not right with the world: no jersey numbers appear. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a video drivers issue, or Windows 10 related.

If anyone else has gone down this road already and knows the solution to this, please let me know. Would love to figure this out so that I can continue my '66 journal as well as continue to create more classic franchise rosters, uniforms, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Madden 04 and Windows 10

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Madden 04 and Windows 10

Postby AaronS » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 pm

I didn't have this issue with Win10, but did in Win7.

It was my integrated graphics card. Although my laptop boasted 1gb for graphics, it only had 128mb or 256mb dedicated, so the game wouldn't display the numbers.

That was my issue, anyway.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm

Unfortunately you need an NVIDIA graphics card to display the numbers. If your system is a desktop try upgrading to an NVIDIA graphics card. Or, you could do what I did and just go to a pawn shop and grab a laptop with an NVIDIA graphics card already integrated with it.

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks for those replies. I researched a bit more and you're correct - it's a graphics card issue. My new pc is a laptop but it does have an Nvidia graphics card - gtx 960M to be exact with 2gb memory. Not the best, I know, but should be good enough to run a game from 2003.

But you're right AaronS, I don't think enough memory is truly dedicated so that might be something I'll look into.

FWIW - Madden 08 works beautifully on it.

bbgeek
Rookie

Postby bbgeek » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Leeman67 wrote:Thanks for those replies. I researched a bit more and you're correct - it's a graphics card issue. My new pc is a laptop but it does have an Nvidia graphics card - gtx 960M to be exact with 2gb memory. Not the best, I know, but should be good enough to run a game from 2003.

But you're right AaronS, I don't think enough memory is truly dedicated so that might be something I'll look into.

FWIW - Madden 08 works beautifully on it.

I have the exact same issue with Madden 04 and Windows 8, as I also have a laptop with the same graphics card - gtx 960m. I tried using the nvidia control panel to force mainapp.exe to use "integrated graphics" but it still does not work.

I really wish there was a way to get this working...

Return to “Madden 2004 PC”