New & Improved 04 Uniforms

Said by some PC'ers to be the best version.
Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks to the tips and tricks offered up by elguapo, I've taken my first stab at improving the uniform files for Madden 04. The link is a PLADATA.dat and DB_TEMPLATES.dat file, along with an updated Muscle Mike roster file incorporating the uniforms.

For this to work, place both .dat files into your My Documents\Madden NFL 2004 folder, and when starting up the game, open the default roster file first (backup everything, of course). To return to the stock uniforms, simply remove the .dat files from this folder.

*UPDATED 7/13/16*
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8eWdzgUlxtmemlWU25yMThSakk

Special Note:* Be sure to download elguapo's most recent Stadiums update for 04

Sponsor

Sponsor

arden05
All-Pro

Re: New & Improved 04 Uniforms

Postby arden05 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

This sounds great, but some preview screens would be nice. You said you did all the throwbacks but not "current alternate" jerseys. What about the current home and away uniforms? Are those updated? More info and previews please ;)
Check out sports inspired apparel, made for true fans @ http://fanfocusedtees.spreadshirt.com/

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 am

That's fair enough. I should have posted some screen shots at least. My bad. I will do that tonight. In the meantime, i'll clarify what I did. On the "current" (2003-2004) uniforms, I only made some very subtle changes - i.e. corrected some color shading, fixed helmet logo sizes (Packers, Broncos, Bills), etc. Again, I primarily focused on fixing the stock throwback uniforms and adding a few others that were missed. I'll provide a full list to go with my screen shots later.

BTW, I have noticed a few minor adjustments that need to be made, mostly having to do with position of sleeve/shoulder numbers, etc. So consider this version 1.0 with an update to come...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Here are some images taken from Madden 04 using the new unis:

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 pm

a few more....

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Well you made me bust out my madden 04 :lol: and great job......the uniforms seem to give the whole game a boost......

The one thing that I can't seem to figure out is for whatever reason the uniforms are dirty for me at the begining of the game......did you have this issue?

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:14 am

Thanks Rixster!

No, I have not had any issues like that with dirty uniforms at the start of the game. Everything seems to be working just fine, and I had forgotten as well how much I missed 04. For me, it just always seemed like a much tighter and more stable game than its successors, including 08. Not sure what would be causing that issue for you. :?

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:24 am

For those interested, here are the specific changes/additions for this first release. As with my 08 uniforms, the bulk of the credit goes to NICK and LOBBS, although I did add quite a number of uniforms myself, and tweaked some things here and there.

Bears – added the 60's uniforms (white “C” logo on the helmet); added late 70’s uniforms
Bengals – changed facemask to grey on the 70’s uniform
Bills – enlarged the helmet logo for the current (2003) as well as the 90’s helmet; emboldened colors for 90’s uniform; added late 70’s/early 80’s uniform; added 1973 away uniform
Broncos – added 1977 uniforms; slightly enlarged helmet logo on current uniforms; added LOBBS' name script to current unis
Browns – fixed the helmet color for both current and throwback uniforms (darkened it a bit and better defined the stripes); added mid-late 80’s uniforms; fixed late 70’s/early 80’s pants/socks combo.
Buccaneers – no changes
Cardinals – adjusted helmet logo size and position; added 70’s uniforms
Chargers – added early 70’s uniforms; tweaked helmet on 1963 uniforms
Chiefs – enlarged the helmet logo for the 60’s and early 70’s uniforms; added 1990’s away uniforms (white on white); added 1962 Dallas Texans unis
Colts – no changes
Cowboys – made helmet logo smaller on all unis, adjusted helmet color, and better defined the strips (added name strip on back of the helmet); added late 70’s uniforms; added late 60’s/early 70’s uniforms; added mid-60’s uniforms; added early 60’s uniforms; added LOBBS' name script to current uniform
Dolphins – added late 70’s uniforms; added 80’s uniforms
Eagles – no changes
Falcons – added late 60’s uniforms; added mid 70’s uniforms; fixed away jersey numbers on 80’s uniforms
49ers – adjusted the helmet logo size on 80’s uniforms; fixed helmet colors as well; added 1994 uniforms; added early 70’s uniforms
Giants – added late 50’s/early 60’s uniforms; adjusted 1980’s uniforms (darkened sock and helmet colors); darkened helmet color on current uniform
Jaguars – no changes
Jets – no changes
Lions – added late 70’s/early 80’s uniforms; changed 1957 uniforms to grey facemasks and adjusted the helmet color down a bit
Packers – made helmet logo smaller on all unis
Panthers – no changes
Patriots – made some color adjustments to the current and 90’s helmets; added mid-80’s uniforms
Raiders – adjusted helmet color on all unis, and fixed the logo (adding the white outline); added 1970 road uniforms (silver numbers)
Rams – added late 70’s uniform (update coming); removed shoulder stripes from the blue 60’s jersey (update coming here as well)
Ravens – no changes
Redskins – no changes (update to 70’s uniform is coming)
Saints – added late 70’s/early 80’s uniforms (update coming)
Seahawks – no changes
Steelers – added block numbers for 70’s- mid-90’s uniforms (update coming to fix helmet number font); added early 70’s uniforms; added early 60’s uniforms
Texans – no changes
Titans – added late 70’s uniforms
Vikings – adjusted colors on 70’s uniform (darkened the shade of purple); adjusted helmet color on current helmet to better match jersey

any questions, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM. :)

Madden04Paul
Veteran

Postby Madden04Paul » Fri May 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Leeman,

Thank you for sharing your work,I've been a long time Madden 04 PC player and very happy that this game has finally been mod. I have done many mods with Maximum Football by adding Stadiums build with Caligari. Maximum Football was easy to mod, but Madden is a new ball game to me. Can you please help me? I followed ElGuapos tutorial and I was able to put 08 uniforms on 04, but it crashes whenever I view them on team select. However, if I go directly to the game, it does not crash at all. Please Advice.... Thank You Again.

screen0000.JPG
screen0000.JPG (59.69 KiB) Viewed 6290 times

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi Madden04Paul,

I was a Maximum Football junkie for a while myself, and as fun as that game was to mod, the actual gameplay itself just left so much to be desired. Visually the graphics were decent, but the player animations were terrible, and the physics of the game just didn’t connect to reality in any way; understandable, given that the game was basically developed by one guy with little if any outside assistance.

As far your issue goes, I was actually unsuccessful at importing any of the 08 uniforms into the 04 PLADATA file and getting them to work in the game, with the exception of the Raiders & Bucs unis that Elguapo demonstrated could be done in his tutorial. So I didn’t take that route. I created my uniforms using the instructions he gave in the first half of his video, ripping the 04 uniforms using 08. I then simply used Stingray’s DAT Editor program (“DEX”), and replaced the different uniform images (hips, pants, helmet, sleeves, etc.) as needed, and then import those new uniform files into the PLADATA.dat.

The only difficulty I had there was with the jersey numbers, and elguapo had suggested that it’s better to use MUER. However, that program isn’t as stable on my PC - i.e. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But I was able to change most of the numbers I wanted using DEX, so long as the jersey and shoulder/sleeve numbers were the same color and font. So i'll continue attempting to fix any misses using MUER.

I plan to continue to try and work on these with future updates, and hope to add more uniform files as well. I've also discovered that there doesn't appear to be as many available uniform slots in the 04 PLADATA.dat file as there are in the 08 UNIFORMS.dat file, so for this first PLADATA file I had to sacrifice the modern day alternates. I will eventually create a separate PLADATA and DB_TEMPLATES file for the modern unis and include the current Nike versions as well as all of the alternates. Few teams wear true throwback uniforms nowadays anyway because of the rule on needing to use the same helmets, so the throwbacks I create are really only for roster files such as Muscle Mike’s or any other single season files that have been created (such as those Rixster’s working on for 08). The modern day "throwbacks" that teams now wear are basically just separate alternates anyway as there's no rhyme or reason for when and why they wear them - i.e. why do the Bears wear their 1941 throwbacks in a game vs...say, the Panthers? Happens all the time. Dumb. Anyway, Once I’m able to create separate PLADATA files, I will probably add more throwbacks such as those cool 1985 Chargers duds in your image above. :D

Hope that helps.

Return to “Madden 2004 PC”