A Colts/Blizzard Journal

Journals for customized Madden franchises.
JPK
Hall of Fame

A Colts/Blizzard Journal

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 pm

A new adventure

Citing the need for new challenges, GM Kokinski left the All-Stars League's Anchorage Blizzard to apply for the newly-opened position with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. He was awarded the job late last night and had obviously done his homework, as he made a flurry of moves this morning.

The starting roster is the one that came with the FF-FI XV mod. I will actually play the first season, which will be a hybrid 2014/2015 season. For example, Duron Carter is already with the team, but rookies like Phillip Dorsett will come in the offseason, and not necessarily on my team.

An updated depth chart will be posted before opening day, but here are some of the moves.

The following players were waived:
WR Hakeem Nicks
WR Joshua Cribbs
RT Gosder Cherilus
LB Josh McNary

Rather than letting him walk away through free agency, the team offered standout special-teamer Sergio Brown a 7-year contract.

New contracts were also accepted by FB Stanley Havili and WR Griff Whalen.

Jack Mewhort was moved from LG to RT. Jonathan Newsome was moved from LOLB to ROLB, and will be tried at the LB/CB hybrid position.

Ahmad Bradshaw is clearly the starter at running back, but the Colts will try to cut their losses by giving repetitions to Trent Richardson both at halfback and fullback.

Reggie Wayne is staying on the roster, but he will mostly take on a mentorship role with the team. Donte Moncrief and Duron Carter will battle for the starting position opposite T.Y. Hilton.

Some staffs are very hesitant to let their star players return kicks and punts. However, GM Kokinski believes his best players have to touch the ball as often as possible. As such, Hilton will definitely return punts, and maybe kicks.

A Colts/Blizzard Journal

Sponsor

Sponsor

JPK
Hall of Fame

Re: A Colts Journal

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 pm

The Robert Mathis situation

Though his injury is fully healed, there have been rumors that LB Robert Mathis and the Indianapolis Colts wanted to walk away from each other.

It all depends how close to a Super Bowl run GM Kokinski and his staff believe they are, and how much they think Mathis can contribute.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Colts acquire versatile running back
HB Denard Robinson joins Indy

The Colts shipped their 1st-round pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars in return for versatile running back Denard Robinson, who can also throw and catch, among other things. He becomes the heir apparent to current starter Ahmad Bradshaw.

The price appears steep, but he can do so many things on a football field.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Team's best defensive playmaker on the leave
LB Robert Mathis shipped to New Orleans

After trading their first round pick yesterday, the Colts obtained a second-rounder when they shipped LB Robert Mathis to the Saints.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Preseason week 1: Colts @ Jets

The Colts won 56-42, but there are plenty of kinks to iron out before the regular season.

But let's start with the good parts. As expected, the aerial offense was stellar, racking up 463 yards and 7 TDs. Playing with the first offense, Duron Carter and Donte Moncrief both impressed, catching respectively for 61 and 133 yards. Carter had a pair of 11-yard TDs as well as a 30-yarder, while Moncrief had 2. Dwayne Allen and Jack Doyle had the others.

However, the ground attack was dismal. Trent Richardson did score a touchdown, but finished with 6 yards on 13 carries. He did have 5 receptions for 77 yards, though. Ahmad Bradshaw was the best of the group, but he only had 35 yards on 6 carries.

The defense was extremely active, creating 7 sacks and forcing 3 fumbles. Bjorn Werner had 3 sacks, while Zach Kerr and Josh Chapman each had a sack and a forced fumble. Jonathan Newsome had the other forced fumble. However, the defense got burnt with its intensity, as they allowed 2 huge runs to Chris Ivory, who finished with 165 yards and 2 TDs on just 6 carries.

The special teams also struggled, allowing Percy Harvin to return kicks not once, but twice to the endzone.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Traded a first-rounder for Denard Robinson? Isn't that a little much?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Preseason week 2: Giants @ Colts

The Colts were already up two TDs before the offense even took the field. And they kept pouring it on, winning 58-21.

On his first touch of the preseason, T.Y. Hilton returned the opening kickoff on 100 yards. Then Darius Butler returned an interception on 55 yards for a score.

The ground game was way more convincing. Today's starter, Denard Robinson, rushed 14 times for 77 yards, and added a 12-yard TD on a perfect throw to Dwayne Allen, as well as another TD on a reception.

Aside from a fumble after a long gain, Trent Richardson looked good. He had a key block on a first down run by Robinson, and also had two touchdowns: one on a 41-yard run and one on a 19-yard reception. He will probably not be a starter, but he is making a good case for keeping him on the roster.

The defense forced turnovers, but their aggressivity was controlled. They did not give up too many long gains.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:35 pm

RevanFan wrote:Traded a first-rounder for Denard Robinson? Isn't that a little much?

I thought so too, but the Jags were not biting for my 2nd-rounder. I really wanted Robinson because he is fast and versatile, and I like tricking my opponents. I guess I'm weird like that. I also think that I can groom him to be a legitimate starter.

deathcrow89
All-Pro

Postby deathcrow89 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:45 pm

i think the 1st for denard is worth it over the 1st for richardson lol. also i lvoe taking 3-5th round rbs in the draft and building them so im not a huge fan of trading picks away. but denard is a good player

"I Bleed Blue"

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Preseason week 3: Saints @ Colts

T.Y. Hilton was on fire. He returned kicks on 102 and 103 yards for scores. He also showed he can catch balls in traffic (short reception for TD) as well as create separation (78-yard TD). Without him, the game would have been completely different.

After a good outing last week, the ground game didn't show up again. Thank goodness for aerial prowesses. Complementing Hilton was also Duron Carter, who caught 5 balls for 107 yards and 2 TDs. He also had a 70-yard run that was stopped short of a touchdown.

Defensively, the team defended valiantly a team led by Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston. The Saints converted only 1 of 10 first downs and fell 56-28.

Return to “Madden Journals”