How do YOU deal with progression/regression?

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
Juntao
Rookie

Postby Juntao » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:17 am

Maybe it's just my game and the settings, sliders, and attributes i use but certain positions (qb, kicker, punter, defensive end, olbs and mlbs) ONLY go up and never regress no matter how bad of a season they had. Unless the player in those positions are just aging and getting physical attribute decreases (speed, strength, agility, etc.) their overall will always go up regardless of how mediocre or bad they played that season. Many qb's only throw for 2000 yards and have more or the same amount of ints and td's but still somehow go up in overall to where you're left with most teams having an 88+ rated qb. Same goes for kickers, punters, and mlbs. Wide receivers that aren't 1st or 2nd on the depth chart NEVER go up and are stuck in the 70-78 ovr rating hell their whole careers. I came up with a system that i apply at the end of every season using qbr and editing every qb's overall based on the season they had. Same with a few other positions that really suck with progression such as wide receiver, tight end, and offensive lineman. The problem with this is that it's pretty time consuming so i'm looking for suggestions and ideas on how other people handle progression and regression.

The biggest one though is by far offensive lineman, specifically the tackles. Especially right tackles. There are only four 90+ rated right tackles in my franchise and a majority are sitting at 80 or lower because they just regress season after season. I dont think it's even possible for a tackle to progress and if they do its by 1 measly point once every 5 seasons or something. Guards and centers also don't really progress although it is a bit better than the tackles.

So i'm asking if there is anything special you do when it comes to progression and regression, or do you just let the game handle it and just deal with whatever the results are. Like i said i have my own system that i use but it's very time consuming. I also use only 1 progression point a season and run advanced awareness boost in nza every offseason which helps.

Sponsor

Sponsor

TheRareButter
MVP

Re: How do YOU deal with progression/regression?

Postby TheRareButter » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Juntao wrote:Maybe it's just my game and the settings, sliders, and attributes i use but certain positions (qb, kicker, punter, defensive end, olbs and mlbs) ONLY go up and never regress no matter how bad of a season they had. Unless the player in those positions are just aging and getting physical attribute decreases (speed, strength, agility, etc.) their overall will always go up regardless of how mediocre or bad they played that season. Many qb's only throw for 2000 yards and have more or the same amount of ints and td's but still somehow go up in overall to where you're left with most teams having an 88+ rated qb. Same goes for kickers, punters, and mlbs. Wide receivers that aren't 1st or 2nd on the depth chart NEVER go up and are stuck in the 70-78 ovr rating hell their whole careers. I came up with a system that i apply at the end of every season using qbr and editing every qb's overall based on the season they had. Same with a few other positions that really suck with progression such as wide receiver, tight end, and offensive lineman. The problem with this is that it's pretty time consuming so i'm looking for suggestions and ideas on how other people handle progression and regression.

The biggest one though is by far offensive lineman, specifically the tackles. Especially right tackles. There are only four 90+ rated right tackles in my franchise and a majority are sitting at 80 or lower because they just regress season after season. I dont think it's even possible for a tackle to progress and if they do its by 1 measly point once every 5 seasons or something. Guards and centers also don't really progress although it is a bit better than the tackles.

So i'm asking if there is anything special you do when it comes to progression and regression, or do you just let the game handle it and just deal with whatever the results are. Like i said i have my own system that i use but it's very time consuming. I also use only 1 progression point a season and run advanced awareness boost in nza every offseason which helps.

https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/vie ... 87&t=21808

Juntao
Rookie

Postby Juntao » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:04 am

Thanks! Unfortunately I tried that out and saw very similar results to what the original progression/regression already is. With the new pwra and pyra tables imported from that thread hb's barely progressed, same with wr's. Probably close to half of the offensive lineman in the league are regressing no matter how good of a season they had and maybe 3 offensive lineman progressed in the whole league. It's also incredibly harsh to wide receivers in the offseason, especially those that didn't see much playing time. There's literally 3-4 receivers on every team that went down. I tested this on two different franchises (one brand new, one pre-existing) and the results were pretty much the same on both.

I doubt i'm doing something wrong. I imported both tables into streameddata.db with dbeditor and ran a handful of test sims. Guess it's just not meant to be :(

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:47 pm

Juntao wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately I tried that out and saw very similar results to what the original progression/regression already is. With the new pwra and pyra tables imported from that thread hb's barely progressed, same with wr's. Probably close to half of the offensive lineman in the league are regressing no matter how good of a season they had and maybe 3 offensive lineman progressed in the whole league. It's also incredibly harsh to wide receivers in the offseason, especially those that didn't see much playing time. There's literally 3-4 receivers on every team that went down. I tested this on two different franchises (one brand new, one pre-existing) and the results were pretty much the same on both.

I doubt i'm doing something wrong. I imported both tables into streameddata.db with dbeditor and ran a handful of test sims. Guess it's just not meant to be :(

I've got my hands full at the moment modding madden 06 but if I have some spare time I'll see what I can do with progression. Many people have tried to edit it but nothing has been widely used yet. I think +1 AWR boost for each year in the league even for benched players would do some good.

JordanLoveIsMyHomie
Veteran

Postby JordanLoveIsMyHomie » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:31 am

Do I just copy the .csv file into my existing C:/Document/Madden Nfl 08/Files folder? Or am I supposed to upload this with some kind of editor like Madden Editor?

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:37 pm

Personally, I use 3 progression points (weeks 5, 11 and 17), none in the preseason or playoffs.

For my own team, I will go along with what the computer gives me. Except sometimes I'll slow down one key player's regression. For example, I'll do -1 SPD every year instead of the extreme -3 or -5.

For computer teams, I monitor a lot of the teams to make sure they remain competitive. For players who I especially enjoy playing against, I'll keep their physical attributes constant until at least 35yo or even later. This takes some time during the offseason, but I use MaddenAmp to edit many teams.

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”