The blocking AI is dumb, and it might be possible to fix it.

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Something I started to realize is that the blocking AI doesn't seem to be as good as it could possibly be. For instance, during pass blocking, the O-Linemen, specially on the right side, seem uncapable of engaging a block if the defender doesn't come right at him. If the defensive end blitzes to the outside, the right tackle will barely make a move to stop him, resulting in a high RDE sack count.

During Run Blocking, at times blockers flat out refuse to block someone more dangeroud in favor of blocking someone deeper down the field. For instance, I run a power run with a FB and a G pulling, the FB engages in a block with a defender, but the G touches the defender that's coming in, but doesn't trigger the block animation, or goes deeper down the field to block a safety that is not really capable of harming the run play too much, leaving a linebacker to eat the play up.

There are more cases of this, ranging from pulling lineman incorrectly blocking on screen passes by ignoring any close defender and instead going down the field, leaving some one untouched and allowng the play to get destroyed, to blockers gettting walked around during punt returns, which help force no punt returns.

While I know I'm probably wrong, this might strive from most slider sets using Pass Blocking and Run Blocking at low levels (around 15-20) to prevent suction blocking, a offensive player suddenly engaging in a block. However, the Madden AI maybe was DESIGNED with the suction blocking in mind, maybe it is necesary for the AI to behave correctly.

This is (And a huge Your Milage May Vary warning here) that I think the newer Maddens seem to get right. Ignoring the whole "Press 1 button to break the block" instead of forcing to pick the right pass rush moves (which is dumb), the pockets seem more realistic, they are more oval, and the O-Linemen actually move around to block any incoming defender. There is still the Run Blocking issue of ignoring defenders though.

Sponsor

Sponsor

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Re: The blocking AI is dumb, and it might be possible to fix it.

Postby BUS36 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

From understanding blocking ( I played Defense Line in semi-pro taught both lines for HS football team and Youth Football) sometimes it is the RB that will determine the block of the G or T on the side you run. I have done the classic of holding the speed burst right after the snap. If the RB has 90 or above the blocks get over shot. Under 90 the block don't develop fast enough. Now what I have been doing is hit that speed burst when I hit the hole or just to the outside. Look also at the Break Tackle and Acceleration, cause that will tell you what can happen with the speed burst with the back. Also the acceleration on the OL will do the same on how fast he can get to the block.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Re: The blocking AI is dumb, and it might be possible to fix it.

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I know exactly what you're getting at. I'll be on an outside run trying to get down the sidelines with a blocker on the inside. I'm expecting him to block the safety which puts me in an open field, but he turns around when he's just a few feet from the safety, and goes back to block a linebacker, leaving me with no choice but to get tackled.
"My wife passed away seven years ago, right, but the sun came up the next day, the world kept spinning and people kept going to work, and that's what we're going to do." - Mike Zimmer

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”