Making Madden NFL 08 be as good as ESPN NFL 2K5

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I assume you all know ESPN NFL 2K5, the last NFL 2K before EA got the exclusive deal with the NFL. It is still far better than any Madden NFL game that came out so far, including 08, not going to lie. ESPN NFL 2K5 's gameplay was smooth, it was more realistic and it wasn't filled with the BS Madden has.

You could stay in the pocket without moving without fear of the D-Line suddenly destroying the pocket, running the ball was good because the blockers actually do their jobs and ... well ... BLOCK and don't simply dodge around tacklers (which is a problem in Madden, the blocker AI has a 50% chance of blocking a tackler during an outside run or screen), there were no miracle INTs, you got picked off if you really did something stupid, tackling the ball carrier succesfully took more than 1 guy ... most of the time at least and defensers always tried to swat the ball instead of seeing the receiver get the pass, and receivers actually tried to go for the reception even when the defenser could go for the pick. It was great.

Latest slider set:
Quarter Length: 12 Mins or 15 Mins*
Skill Level: All-Pro
Game Mode: User's Decision**
*You can get realistic stats with either 12 Minute Quarters and Accelerated Play Clock on, or 15 Minutes Quarters and using Calhoupe's scripts to make the accelerated play clock go down to 15 instead of 20.
**I have not found any difference in the quality of gameplay when using any Game Mode.

Fair Play: Off
Injuries: On
Pre-Existing Injuries: User's decision*
Game Fatigue: On
Offensive Catch Assist: Off
QB Vision: User's decision**
Accelerated Play Clock: On***
Auto Strafe: User's decision****
Random Weather: Off*****
Defense Pass Assist: Off
*Pre-Existing Injuries only do anything when starting a campaign. When On, anyone that is injured by default on the roster will be injured when the franchise starts. When Off, no players will be injured when a franchise is started, no matter the kind of injury the roster shows they have.
**While I have not tested this set with QB Vision On, they should work just fine.
***Depending if you use 12 Minute Quarters or 15 Minute Quarters, you will have to alter the Accelerated Play Clock in Calhoupe's scrips. Leaving it at 20 if you are running 12 Min Quarters, and setting it at 15 if you are running 15 Minute Quarters.
****Auto Strafe doesn't affect the CPU.
*****With Random Weather On, there are some weird stuff all over the place. Very hot days inside a building, extremely cold days in the desert. And anything in between. This can negatively affect player's stamina.

Injury Frequency: 102% or 115%*
Sim Injury Frequency: User's Decision**
*At 100%, Injuries don't happen very often. At 102% they happen at a decently fast rate. At 115% they might happen a bit too much, but it looks fine.
*For our purposes, this one is irrelevant unless you are playing a franchise and simming some games.

QB Accuracy: 50*
Pass Blocking: 30**
WR Catching: 60***
RB Ability: 50****
Run Blocking: 40****
*This seems about right when it comes to ball velocity. There is a problem with actual accuracy (In Madden 08), in that a QB's short range accuracy is the same as that QB's long range accuracy. A reason why the deep ball is extremely effective, and can't be fixed since Madden doesn't since to care about short and long range accuracy until Next Gen Madden.
**2K5's pockets are pretty realistic. Usually, it is the Edge rushers managing to beat the Tackle to the outside who sacks the QB. In all honesty, QBs had around 1.5-3.5 seconds in the best of circumstances, which seems pretty realistic.
***At 50, there are a fair amount of drops. Hopefully, 60 should be able to compensate for the drops and keep them under control.
****This particular stat has a HUGE number of effects. Generally, it alters Speed, Acceleration, Agility, Carrying and Break Tackle skill of EVERY player in the field. You can check my theory on how this slider scales up and down the ratings in post 10, at the bottom of this page. While broken tackles can be properly fixed altering Tackling and Face Mask, there is one thing that can't with any other slider. Big plays and Deep Bombs. Raising this slider would increase every player's Speed rating, eventually leading every QB to just look for the speedy receiver, who is now faster, running a streak or fade down the field and toss a 50/50 ball. Keeping this at 50 minimizes the amount of deep bombs. Note, MINIMIZE is not the same as eliminate, keep that in mind.
*****My main annoyance with this game is that the CPU is incapable of blocking right. So, my way to compensate is allowing suction blocking to occur. Suction blocking is exactly that, the defender is sucked into a block. Usually, you don't want this to happen. But Madden's blocking AI (As well as any other AI which is related to running into people) is not the best at this. I constantly see toss sweeps end up in loss of yards because the pulling lineman can't get in front of the back (A problem on it's own), or the biggest problem, they run PAST the defender they are supposed to block.

Awareness: 48*
Knockdowns: 5**
Interceptions: 1***
Tackling: 30****
Break Block: 30*****
*Something I hate from some slider sets is that Defensive Awareness is that it is extremely low. I constantly see top defenders lag behind receivers because they made a cut. I'm meaning guys like Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Aqib Talib. With lower Awareness comes hilariously high separation in the passing game that it is not realistic in the NFL. I would like to set this at 50, but those guys above would outright run the exact same route the receiver does, but a few steps in front of him. The goal is allowing the receiver one or two steps in front of the DB. One or Two at most against top DBs.
**I saw defenders USUALLY try to knockdown the pass instead of going for the pick. And, just like in the real NFL, at times they failed. But more importantly, I also saw defenders not jumping to try to knockdown an obviously high pass there is no way they could make a play on, and just focus on playing the receiver, knocking him down (And hopefully the ball). I might end up lowering this to try and force that behavior.
***After raising WR Catching to 60, which affects every offensive and defensive player, this one needs to be lowered to compensate, or you would have 8 interceptions games constantly.
****This slider influences 3 things. Successful tackles, Hit Power (Which includes forced fumbles and Hit stick Tackles) and forced dropped passes. The Higher this slider is, the more dropped passes will occur. And interestingly enough, raising the WR Catching slider doesn't do anything regarding drops. Right here should be about right.
*****This is related to the Blocking sliders above. The idea is that the defenders can enter the pocket fast enough to keep the time the QB has to around 1.5-3.5 seconds, as well as being able to get out of blocks in the run game.

FG Length: 37*
FG Accuracy: 99**
Punt Length: 56***
Punt Accuracy: 50***
Kickoff Length: 46****
*I would have preferred to use 57, which allows a few select kickers to consider 50+ field goal attempts. There is another setting I would have liked to use, which is 46. The problem with both of those is that FG Length alters both the Kicker's Kick Power AND the defense effectiveness in general. At 57, the defense is way too effective overall. I've had games with sub-60% completion rates for QBs with this at 57. 46 seems to be the middle point between defensive effectiveness and kicking distance. However, 37 seems to be the most proven setting around so I'll use it. There won't be 60 yarders from capable kickers like Justin Tucker, Sebastian Janikowski or Stephen Gostkowski (There is another problem with him, which is next)
**Don't let this deceive you. Unless the kicker has 90+ Kick Accuracy, he won't nail every kick. Despite this being the maximum setting, a few kickers will miss chip shots or long distance FGs, as well as everything in between. A guy like Justin Tucker won't miss any kick at this, but a guy like Stephen Gostkowski does, a fair lot.
***The Punt Average is ranging from 40-45 yards, which seems about right. Punts inside the 20 are also rare, usually limited to 1-2 per game, per punter.
****This is balanced with FG Length. Kickoff Length SEEMS to have a similar effect to FG Length but I can't confirm this.

False Start: 67*
Holding: 77**
Face Mask: 70***
Clipping: 35****
Intentional Grounding: 50 or 99*****
*False Start might control both Offensive and Defensive reaction time. Hopefully at this, Toss Sweeps are more effective.
**This extends the length of blocks a fair bit and adds a few more penalties to the few the game has.
***This controls the tackling aggressiveness of the CPU, as well as the facemasking calls. At this setting, it might trigger a few more Hit Stick tackles, which in turn should trigger more broken tackles. This is balanced out with Tackling so that Face Mask + Tackling = 99
****This controls the aggressiveness of players looking for blocks.
*****This one is weird and in a bad sense. The reason I have 2 recommended settings is because I can't tell which one is better. This one controls the CPU QB's likehood of throwing the ball away when under pressure. The thing is what happens at each setting. At 50, they take a while to throw the ball, which gives the CPU a chance to find someone open. At 99, they pretty much throw it away too quickly, avoiding sacks.

Roughing the Passer: 99*
Roughing the Kicker: 99**
Offensive Pass Interference: 99***
Defensive Pass Interference: 95****
Punt Catch Interference: 65*****
*This should trigger less penalties, and less injured QBs in general. The "Roughing the Passer" QB animation is stupid as hell anyway.
**This might control defensive Pursuit of the ball carrier.
***This should allow the Offensive players to fight for the ball.
**** Higher than 95 allows defensive players to bat down WAY too many passes, leading to poor completion rates. This should fix that.
*****I'm still unable to pin down what this one does. Could mean looking for plays down field, defensive reaction to a play, among other things. It might also mean QB's likehood to scramble.

Sub In/Out: 87/92 or 88/93 or 83/88*
Pass Leading: 5**
*There are 3 sets here for a reason. 87/92 seems to give a 85/15 RB splits overall. 88/93 Makes it more 70/30. However, those cause a problem late in the game, where offensive players could sub in at defense because too many defensive players are tired. This is the reason why 83/88 exists, that doesn't happen as often, but it would result in 90/10 RB Splits. The set you use depends on what you want, realistic (For some teams) RB Splits or no offensive players subbing on defense.
**I haven't tried lowering it, but raising it definitely increases the number of pass leading the CPU uses.

Current Tested Averages (per 60 minutes, real-time (live) games. Will update when I have enough games with a single slider set):
Points Per Game:
Passing (total): yds
Passing Comp.: %
Passing Atts.:
Yards/Atts.: Y/A
Rushing (total): yds
Rushing Atts.:
Yards/Carr.: Y/C
3rd Downs:
3rd Down Conv.: %
Punts (team):
Punt Len.: yds
Punts In 20 (team):
Penalties (team):
Turnovers (team):
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Making Madden NFL 08 be as good as ESPN NFL 2K5

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm

All right, I decided to take on this more seriously. I'll try to develop a slider set that makes Madden NFL 08 resemble ESPN NFL 2K5. Now, I don't have 2K5, but with the power of Internet I can watch a lot of videos of the game, and try to recreate the feel (or at least the looks) of the game. The base set I'll use, along with the penalty sliders associated with it, is this:

QB Accuracy: 50*
Pass Blocking: 30**
WR Catching: 50***
RB Ability: 63****
Run Blocking: 40****
*This seems about right when it comes to ball velocity. There is a problem with actual accuracy (In Madden 08), in that a QB's short range accuracy is the same as that QB's long range accuracy. A reason why the deep ball is extremely effective, and can't be fixed since Madden doesn't since to care about short and long range accuracy until Next Gen Madden.
**2K5's pockets are pretty realistic. Usually, it is the Edge rushers managing to beat the Tackle to the outside who sacks the QB. In all honesty, QBs had around 1.5-3.5 seconds in the best of circumstances, which seems pretty realistic.
***The basic catching seems fine to me. I would definitely like to see a whole lot catching animations, like the very rare diving catch animation, but what can you do.
****Something that 2K5 had was called "Maximum Tackling", which M08 has ... sort of. In 2K5, if a defender with somewhat low tackle rating or a bad pursuit angle would initiate a minigame, in which you had to tap X (Or A if you play in the Xbox) to tackle the ball carrier. The ball carrier had to do the same to shed the tackle. You might remember that in M08 that happens occasionally. In general, ball carriers were hard to tackle, specially when it was something like Cornerback vs. Power Running Back. Having a linebacker or hard hitting safety does balance the field. Another problem is that, with this at 63 or higher, players move EXCESSIVELY fast. Like, sub-4.00 40 times fast. The problem with lowering this slider is that the Highlight Stick would not work, and there would be tons and tons of fumbles in a game by game basis. And raising it would reduce all of those below, but make everyone faster than John Ross. I would like to make the passing game be more reliant on route running than out-running defenders, and the running game more reliant on actual blocks than the running back's greatness, but I can't allow that if it means fumbles galore. Another problem is that there is a form of catchup in this game, but that's another issue I'll discuss in another section.
*****My main annoyance with this game is that the CPU is incapable of blocking right. So, my way to compensate is allowing suction blocking to occur. Suction blocking is exactly that, the defender is sucked into a block. Usually, you don't want this to happen. But Madden's blocking AI (As well as any other AI which is related to running into people) is not the best at this. I constantly see toss sweeps end up in loss of yards because the pulling lineman can't get in front of the back (A problem on it's own), or the biggest problem, they run PAST the defender they are supposed to block.

Awareness: 48*
Knockdowns: 5**
Interceptions: 15***
Tackling: 30****
Break Block: 30*****
*Something I hate from some slider sets is that Defensive Awareness is that it is extremely low. I constantly see top defenders lag behind receivers because they made a cut. I'm meaning guys like Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Aqib Talib. With lower Awareness comes hilariously high separation in the passing game that it is not realistic in the NFL. I would like to set this at 50, but those guys above would outright run the exact same route the receiver does, but a few steps in front of him. The goal is allowing the receiver one or two steps in front of the DB. One or Two at most against top DBs.
**I saw defenders USUALLY try to knockdown the pass instead of going for the pick. And, just like in the real NFL, at times they failed. But more importantly, I also saw defenders not jumping to try to knockdown an obviously high pass there is no way they could make a play on, and just focus on playing the receiver, knocking him down (And hopefully the ball). I might end up lowering this to try and force that behavior.
***You know what annoys me? "Drops the interception.", "Almost picked off". Defenders making a great play on the ball, but not coming up with the catch. Balls thrown at them, and them simply dropping them. The real fix would be making it so that Knockdowns were more successful at defending the pass, and Interceptions weren't as effective, but you could ... well ... pick off the pass.
****This slider influences 3 things. Successful tackles, Hit Power (Which includes forced fumbles and Hit stick Tackles) and forced dropped passes. The Higher this slider is, the more dropped passes will occur. And interestingly enough, raising the WR Catching slider doesn't do anything regarding drops. Right here should be about right.
*****This is related to the Blocking sliders above. The idea is that the defenders can enter the pocket fast enough to keep the time the QB has to around 1.5-3.5 seconds, as well as being able to get out of blocks in the run game.

FG Length: 37*
FG Accuracy: 99**
Punt Length: 56***
Punt Accuracy: 50***
Kickoff Length: 46****
*I would have preferred to use 57, which allows a few select kickers to consider 50+ field goal attempts. There is another setting I would have liked to use, which is 46. The problem with both of those is that FG Length alters both the Kicker's Kick Power AND the defense effectiveness in general. At 57, the defense is way too effective overall. I've had games with sub-60% completion rates for QBs with this at 57. 46 seems to be the middle point between defensive effectiveness and kicking distance. However, 37 seems to be the most proven setting around so I'll use it. There won't be 60 yarders from capable kickers like Justin Tucker, Sebastian Janikowski or Stephen Gostkowski (There is another problem with him, which is next)
**Don't let this deceive you. Unless the kicker has 90+ Kick Accuracy, he won't nail every kick. Despite this being the maximum setting, a few kickers will miss chip shots or long distance FGs, as well as everything in between. A guy like Justin Tucker won't miss any kick at this, but a guy like Stephen Gostkowski does, a fair lot.
***The Punt Average is ranging from 40-45 yards, which seems about right. Punts inside the 20 are also rare, usually limited to 1-2 per game, per punter.
****This is balanced with FG Length. Kickoff Length SEEMS to have a similar effect to FG Length but I can't confirm this.

False Start: 67*
Holding: 77**
Facemask: 60***
Clipping: 99****
Intentional Grounding: 50 or 99*****
*False Start might control both Offensive and Defensive reaction time. Hopefully at this, Toss Sweeps are more effective.
**This extends the length of blocks a fair bit and adds a few more penalties to the few the game has.
***This controls the tackling aggressiveness of the CPU, as well as the facemasking calls. At this setting, it might trigger a few more Hit Stick tackles, which in turn should trigger more broken tackles.
****This controls the aggressiveness of players looking for blocks. Higher seems to mean more blocks.
*****This one is weird and in a bad sense. The reason I have 2 recommended settings is because I can't tell which one is better. This one controls the CPU QB's likehood of throwing the ball away when under pressure. The thing is what happens at each setting. At 50, they take a while to throw the ball, which gives the CPU a chance to find someone open. At 99, they pretty much throw it away too quickly, avoiding sacks. I'll try 99 for now.

Roughing the Passer: 99*
Roughing the Kicker: 99**
Offensive Pass Interference: 99***
Defensive Pass Interference: 95****
Punt Catch Interference: 65*****
*This should trigger less penalties, and less injured QBs in general. The "Roughing the Passer" QB animation is stupid as hell anyway.
**This might control defensive Pursuit of the ball carrier.
***This should allow the Offensive players to fight for the ball.
**** Higher than 95 allows defensive players to bat down WAY too many passes, leading to poor completion rates. This should fix that.
*****I'm still unable to pin down what this one does. Could mean looking for plays down field, defensive reaction to a play, among other things. It might also mean QB's likehood to scramble.

Sub In/Out: 87/92 or 88/93 or 83/88*
Pass Leading: 5**
*There are 3 sets here for a reason. 87/92 seems to give a 85/15 RB splits overall. 88/93 Makes it more 70/30. However, those cause a problem late in the game, where offensive players could sub in at defense because too many defensive players are tired. This is the reason why 83/88 exists, that doesn't happen as often, but it would result in 90/10 RB Splits. The set you use depends on what you want, realistic (For some teams) RB Splits or no offensive players subbing on defense.
**I haven't tried lowering it, but raising it definitely increases the number of pass leading the CPU uses.

There are a couple of problems that I can't fix with sliders alone, but this should work as a base. I'll update the OP with these sliders, and will post game logs after I record them.

BTW, the problems I can't fix are:
  • Poor Blocking: You already read my grumbling about blocking, so I won't repeat myself.
  • Poor QB Reads: This absolutely pisses me off everytime I see a CPU vs. CPU game. The QB elects to throw a 50/50 pass down the field, when they have a receiver open underneath, or force it into double coverage when receivers underneath could do the job just as fine. This becomes worse in the 2nd half. And don't get me started on Screen passes. Maybe there is a slider that can fix this, but I'm not sure which one it is.
  • Poor CPU playcalling: It's 3rd and 6, the obvious passing situation. Cue the CPU calling a draw play. I wouldn't mind this, if the draw consistently collected at least those 6 yards against Nickel and Dime packages. Another one, 3rd and 6 again, the CPU calls a Screen Pass. Look, I know the Steelers offense under Todd Haley used lots of those, but they didn't work as good.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 pm

First game was ... kind of a mess. Let's decipher what happened here.

Code: Select all

Madden NFL 08 PC v0.0 Game Log - Bears at Texans
Game Time: Sun Apr 29 21:10:55 2018
Skill Level: All Pro
Quarter Length: 15 minute(s)

Slider                         Human   CPU
QB Accuracy                       50    50
Pass Blocking                     30    30
Receiver Catching                 50    50
Running Ability                   63    63
Offensive line Run Blocking       40    40
Defensive Awareness               48    48
Defensive line Knockdowns          5     5
Interceptions                     15    15
Defensive Break Blocks            30    30
Tackling                          30    30
Fieldgoal Length                  37    37
Fieldgoal Accuracy                99    99
Punt Length                       56    56
Punt Accuracy                     50    50
Kickoff Length                    46    46

Weather
Forecast: Fair
Wind: 0 mph
Temp: 78 degrees

Team               Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   OT      FINAL
Bears              13    0    0    0    0         13
Texans              3    9    3   10    0         25

Game Statistics:                    Bears     Texans
First Downs                            14         21
Third Down Conversions                  5          7
Third Downs                            13         17
Third Down Percentage               38.5%      41.2%
Fourth Down Conversions                 0          0
Fourth Downs                            2          0
Fourth Down Percentage               0.0%       0.0%
Two Pt Conversions Made                 0          0
Two Pt Conversions Attempted            0          0
Two Pt Conversion Percentage         0.0%       0.0%
Offense Redzone Num                     1          5
Offense Redzone TDs                     1          0
Offense Redzone FGs                     0          4
Offense Redzone Percentage         100.0%      80.0%
Rushing Attempts                       24         44
Rushing Yards                         107        272
Rushing Average                       4.5        6.2
Rushing TDs                             0          0
Passing Yards                         188        197
Passing Completions                    16         14
Passing Attempts                       34         29
Completion Percentage               47.1%      48.3%
Passing Average                       5.5        6.8
Passing TDs                             2          1
Offensive Pass Interceptions            3          0
TOTAL OFFENSE                         295        469
Defensive Pass Interceptions            0          3
Punt Return Yards                       0          6
Kick Return Yards                     105         58
Punts                                   5          4
Punt Avg                             48.2       44.8
Fumbles                                 1          1
Fumbles Lost                            0          1
Penalties                               0          1
Penalty Yds                             0         10
Turnovers                               3          1
TIME OF POSSESSION                  25:56      33:42

Individual Stats: Texans
PASSING                        CMP  ATT  YDS  PCT   YPA SACK   TD  INT LONG RATING
Deshaun Watson                  14   29  203   48   7.0    3    1    0   38   82.9

RUSHING                        ATT  YDS   AVG LONG   TD  FUM
Lamar Miller                    29  158   5.4   16    0    0
Deshaun Watson                  10  107  10.6   33    0    1
D'onta Foreman                   5    7   1.3    6    0    0

RECEIVING                      REC  YDS   AVG LONG   TD DROP  YAC
Will Fuller                      5   60  12.0   26    0    1    5
DeAndre Hopkins                  4   52  13.0   20    0    0    1
C. J. Fiedorowicz                1   38  38.0   38    0    1   28
Lamar Miller                     1   34  34.0   34    1    0   20
Bruce Ellington                  2   18   9.0   14    0    1    1
Equanimeous St. Brown            1    1   1.0    1    0    0    0
Stephen Anderson                 0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

KICKING                        FGM  FGA  PCT FGSBLOCKED  XPA  XPM  PCT XPSBLOCKED KICKOFFS TOUCHBACKS
Ka'lmi Fairbairn                 6    6  100          0    1    1  100          0        0          0
J.K. Scott                       0    0    0          0    0    0    0          0        8          4

PUNTING                        ATT  YDS   AVG LONG BLOCKS IN20 TOUCHBACKS
J.K. Scott                       4  179  44.7   54      0    3          0

KICK RETURNS                   ATT  YDS   AVG   TD LONG
Bruce Ellington                  3   58  19.3    0   23

PUNT RETURNS                   ATT  YDS   AVG LONG   TD
Bruce Ellington                  1    6   6.0    6    0

DEFENSE                        TOT LOSS SACK   FF FREC  YDS   TD  INT  RET   AVG DEFLECTIONS SAFETIES CTH ALLOW BIG HITS
Johnathan Joseph                 7    0    0    0    0    0    0    1   -1  -1.0           3        0         5        0
Jadeveon Clowney                 6    2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
J. J. Watt                       6    1    3    1    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Zach Cunningham                  5    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Benardrick McKinney              5    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Whitney Mercilus                 4    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Kareem Jackson                   4    0    0    0    0    0    0    2   -1  -0.5           1        0         2        0
Desmond Bryant                   2    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
D. J. Reader                     2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Kevin Johnson                    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         2        0
Kemal Ishmael                    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Christian Covington              1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Greg Van Roten                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Brennan Scarlett                 1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Mike Mitchell                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0

BLOCKING                      PANCAKES SACKS ALLOWED
Duane Brown                         16             1
Jah Reid                             7             0
Jay Prosch                           5             0
Stephen Anderson                     5             0
Greg Van Roten                       4             0
Will Clapp                           4             1
J. R. Sweezy                         2             1
C. J. Fiedorowicz                    2             0
Equanimeous St. Brown                2             0

Individual Stats: Bears
PASSING                        CMP  ATT  YDS  PCT   YPA SACK   TD  INT LONG RATING
Mitchell Trubisky               16   34  206   47   6.0    6    2    3   75   49.3

Mitchell Trubisky                7   54   7.7   23    0    1
Jordan Howard                   16   41   2.5    7    0    0
Mike Burton                      1   12  12.0   12    0    0

Kendall Wright                   9  132  14.6   75    1    0   78
Markus Wheaton                   2   25  12.5   17    0    1    0
Jordan Howard                    2   24  12.0   13    1    1    5
Marvin Jones                     2   18   9.0   11    0    2    0
Zach Miller                      1    7   7.0    7    0    0    0
Allen Hurns                      0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

KICKING                        FGM  FGA  PCT FGSBLOCKED  XPA  XPM  PCT XPSBLOCKED KICKOFFS TOUCHBACKS
Pat O'Donnell                    0    0    0          0    0    0    0          0        3          0
Connor Barth                     0    0    0          0    2    1   50          0        0          0

Pat O'Donnell                    5  241  48.1   57      0    2          1

Eddie Jackson                    4  105  26.2    0   30

Eddie Jackson                    0    0   0.0    0    0

DEFENSE                        TOT LOSS SACK   FF FREC  YDS   TD  INT  RET   AVG DEFLECTIONS SAFETIES CTH ALLOW BIG HITS
Jerrell Freeman                  9    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Quintin Demps                    7    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         0        0
Danny Trevathan                  6    1    1    0    1    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Leonard Floyd                    5    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Prince Amukamara                 5    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         4        0
Pernell McPhee                   5    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Adrian Amos                      5    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Mitch Unrein                     3    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Eddie Goldman                    3    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Kyle Fuller                      3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         3        0
Derrick Shelby                   2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Markus Wheaton                   2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Kendall Wright                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Akiem Hicks                      1    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Marvin Jones                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Cre'von LeBlanc                  1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Maurice Hurst                    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Roy Robertson-Har                1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0

Kyle Long                            4             2
Orlando Brown Jr.                    4             0
Zach Miller                          4             0
Mike Burton                          3             0
Josh Sitton                          3             1
Adam Shaheen                         2             0
Markus Wheaton                       1             0
Mike Remmers                         1             2
Jordan Howard                        1             0
Cody Whitehair                       1             0

Game Log Ends
------------------------------------------------------------

For this test, I'm using 15 minutes with accelerated play clock, using Calhoupe's scripts to lower it to 15 seconds (After a few weeks of testing, I haven't found any correlation between QB Accuracy and lower play clock, or Kicker/Punter Accuracy and lower play clock.) The wildcards for this set are: Intentional Grounding at 99. Sub In/Out: 83/88.

Passing and Receiving:

Deshaun Watson                  14   29  203   48   7.0    3    1    0   38   82.9
Mitchell Trubisky               16   34  206   47   6.0    6    2    3   75   49.3

Those numbers don't look too good. Both actually looked decent through the first 3 quarters, but started to dip in the 4th. In the 3rd they were at 50% anyway. However, it was not their fault completely.

Will Fuller                      5   60  12.0   26    0    1    5
DeAndre Hopkins                  4   52  13.0   20    0    0    1
C. J. Fiedorowicz                1   38  38.0   38    0    1   28
Lamar Miller                     1   34  34.0   34    1    0   20
Bruce Ellington                  2   18   9.0   14    0    1    1
Equanimeous St. Brown            1    1   1.0    1    0    0    0
Stephen Anderson                 0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

4 Drops for the Texans receivers. If those passes were completed, Watson would have completed 62% of his passes.

Kendall Wright                   9  132  14.6   75    1    0   78
Markus Wheaton                   2   25  12.5   17    0    1    0
Jordan Howard                    2   24  12.0   13    1    1    5
Marvin Jones                     2   18   9.0   11    0    2    0
Zach Miller                      1    7   7.0    7    0    0    0
Allen Hurns                      0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

And 5 drops by Bears receivers. If those were completed, we are talking about 61% of his passes.

So, the problem weren't the fact that QBs couldn't reach their targets. The problem was that the receivers couldn't hang on to the damn thing. That means I need to tweak WR Catching or Tackling.

Rushing:
Holy cow, rushing. Just look at these numbers:

Lamar Miller                    29  158   5.4   16    0    0
Deshaun Watson                  10  107  10.6   33    0    1
D'onta Foreman                   5    7   1.3    6    0    0

Remember, the Sub Out/In was at 83/88, so D'onta Foreman didn't have as many carries. Remember that time Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson lit up each other's defense running all over the place? Well, it happened again! He almost gets loose for a TD too.

Mitchell Trubisky                7   54   7.7   23    0    1
Jordan Howard                   16   41   2.5    7    0    0
Mike Burton                      1   12  12.0   12    0    0

Some thrived, and some one didn't. So, Lamar Miller had a great day, Jordan Howard ... not so much. So, 40 Run Block looks good, but it doesn't. I guess da Bears O-Line is not as great.

Pace Of Play:

Rushing Attempts                       24         44
Passing Attempts                       34         29
TOTAL OFFENSE                         295        469
TIME OF POSSESSION                  25:56      33:42

First, let's set a base here. We have 4 ranges that each team should (But won't because Madden) stick to.
  • Average Time Of Possession: The range is 27 to 33. Cincinnati had the lowest average TOP, 27:09 per game. Philadelphia averaged the highest average TOP, 32:48 per game.
  • Plays Per Game: The range is 57 to 68. Cincinnati ran 57.8 plays last season in average, which is the minimum right now. New England ran 67.5 plays last season, in average.
  • Yards Per Game: The Range is 280 to 405 yards. Cincy once again has the lowest average, at 280.5 yards/game. New England had the best, 405.4 yards/game.
  • Yards Per Play: The range is 4 to 6.3. Indianapolis had the worst Yards per Play at 4.3. New Orleans had the best at 6.3.
Just wanted clarify that.

Let's talk numbers here:
  • Chicago is outside of the range in time of possession, as is Houston. The reason is that Houston dominated the first half, having a 10:20 TOP split by the end of the first. This evened out, but it is still out of the range.
  • Chicago is just inside the range of plays per game, having run 58 plays. The Texans are outside this range, as they ran 73 plays. It should be noted, they ran 131 combined plays, which is not too far from a real NFL pace, which is around 120-135 plays
  • Chicago, once again, is inside the range at 295 yards in total offense. Houston is outside of this range at 469 yards. However, they ran a combined 769 yards of offense. Just leaving that in, because as of now, I'm not sure about a range about total offensive yards for both teams. I guess we could say this range is between 560 yards and 810 yards.
  • Again, Chicago sticks to my little ranges, by having 5.08 yards per play in this game. Houston is just barely outside this range, at 6.42 yards per play.
As far as Pace of Play goes, I like what I got here. Could be better if the Texans didn't dominate the 1st half, but I'm still happy with the results.

Punts Per Game:

Punts                                   5          4
Punt Avg                             48.2       44.8

The most revealing stat about how good the game was is the punts per game. It is an extremely resistant stat. You can notice the effects of multiple 3 and outs just by watching the punts go up and up and up. The range we are looking for here is 3 to 7. The lowest Punts per game was Atlanta and New England with 3.6 Punts/Game. The highest is held by the Football Giants of New York, 6.1. However, I decided to add 1 to that, as to give a broader range. In theory, we should expect games that range from 6 punts, to 14 punts. The Bears punted 5 times, the Texans punted 4. Combined 9 punts. Pretty good so far.

So, what did we learn?
Drops are really harming QB completion rates, so that needs to be fixed. 1st priority.
Rushing has been mixed, so I need more games to keep testing this.
Pace of Play is pretty good, definitely won't touch anything here.
Punts per game is the perfect range.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 pm

All right, for test 2 I did some unofficial edits. I say unofficial because, unless they show better gameplay, they won't be added to the latest slider set on the OP.
  • Tackling: 29 (-1)
  • Facemask: 50 (-15)
Let's see what it results in. The wild cards I set for this game were Intentional Grounding at 50, Sub Out/In: 87/92.

Madden NFL 08 PC v0.0 Game Log - Seahawks at Patriots
Game Time: Mon Apr 30 17:39:34 2018

Tackling                          29    29

Weather
Wind: 3 mph
Temp: 44 degrees

Seahawks            3   13    3   14    0         33
Patriots            3   13    0   10    0         26

Game Statistics:                 Seahawks   Patriots
First Downs                            17         16
Third Down Conversions                  7          7
Third Downs                            15         16
Third Down Percentage               46.7%      43.8%
Fourth Downs                            0          1
Offense Redzone Num                     4          3
Offense Redzone TDs                     2          0
Offense Redzone FGs                     1          3
Offense Redzone Percentage          75.0%     100.0%
Rushing Attempts                       32         23
Rushing Yards                         224        108
Rushing Average                       7.0        4.7
Rushing TDs                             2          1
Passing Yards                         234        304
Passing Completions                    21         26
Passing Attempts                       33         42
Completion Percentage               63.6%      61.9%
Passing Average                       7.1        7.2
Passing TDs                             2          1
Offensive Pass Interceptions            0          1
TOTAL OFFENSE                         458        412
Defensive Pass Interceptions            1          0
Punt Return Yards                       0          0
Kick Return Yards                      60         45
Punts                                   4          5
Punt Avg                             47.3       43.4
Fumbles                                 0          0
Fumbles Lost                            0          0
Penalties                               4          3
Penalty Yds                            45         26
Turnovers                               0          1
TIME OF POSSESSION                  32:12      27:35

Individual Stats: Patriots
Tom Brady                       26   42  327   61   7.7    4    1    1   55   84.1

Dion Lewis                       6   59   9.8   53    1    0
James White                     16   42   2.6   15    0    0
Brandin Cooks                    1    7   7.0    7    0    0

Chris Hogan                      8  179  22.3   55    1    1   54
Julian Edelman                   4   53  13.2   29    0    0    6
Brandin Cooks                    6   43   7.1   13    0    0    6
Cam Serigne                      2   23  11.5   18    0    0    0
James White                      1   10  10.0   10    0    0    3
Rob Gronkowski                   2   10   5.0    6    0    1    0
Dion Lewis                       1    4   4.0    4    0    1    0
Jacob Hollister                  1    3   3.0    3    0    0    0
Malcolm Mitchell                 1    2   2.0    2    0    0    0

Stephen Gostkowski               4    4  100          0    2    2  100          0        5          2

Ryan Allen                       5  217  43.3   48      0    3          0

Julian Edelman                   3   45  15.0    0   18

Julian Edelman                   0    0   0.0    0    0

Eric Rowe                       12    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         8        0
Dont'a Hightower                 8    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Devin McCourty                   6    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Elandon Roberts                  5    1    2    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
David Harris                     5    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         1        0
Patrick Chung                    4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Lawrence Guy                     4    0    2    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jordan Richards                  3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Alan Branch                      2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Trey Flowers                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Dee Delaney                      1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Stephon Gilmore                  1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Julian Edelman                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Shea McClellin                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Harvey Langi                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0

Marcus Cannon                        7             1
Chris Hogan                          4             0
Rob Gronkowski                       4             0
Scott Quessenberry                   4             0
Brandin Cooks                        3             0
Nate Solder                          3             1
Joe Thuney                           2             0
Cam Serigne                          2             0
Dion Lewis                           1             0
James White                          1             0
Shaq Mason                           1             1
Julian Edelman                       1             0

Individual Stats: Seahawks
Russell Wilson                  21   33  254   63   7.6    5    2    0   43  107.3

Thomas Rawls                    21  175   8.3   53    2    0
Eddie Lacy                       4   25   6.2   19    0    0
Russell Wilson                   7   24   3.4    9    0    0

Tyler Lockett                   10  141  14.0   43    0    0    5
Amara Darboh                     3   48  16.0   22    0    1    3
Jimmy Graham                     2   25  12.5   19    0    0    0
Tanner McEvoy                    3   23   7.6   15    1    0    0
Doug Baldwin                     3   17   5.6    8    1    0    3

Andrew Franks                    2    4   50          0    4    3   75          0        0          0
Blair Walsh                      0    0    0          0    0    0    0          0        6          3

Jon Ryan                         4  189  47.2   53      0    1          0

Tyler Lockett                    3   60  20.0    0   28

Tyler Lockett                    0    0   0.0    0    0

Bobby Wagner                    10    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         0        0
K. J. Wright                     8    2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Bryce Callahan                   6    0    0    0    0    0    0    1    2   2.0           2        0         6        0
Richard Sherman                  6    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         4        0
Kam Chancellor                   4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         1        0
Phillip Gaines                   4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Earl Thomas III                  3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         1        0
Michael Bennett                  2    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Frank Clark                      2    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Tre' Williams                    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Sheldon Richardson               2    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
D. J. Alexander                  1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jarran Reed                      1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Marcus Smith II                  1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Delano Hill                      1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0

Jimmy Graham                         7             0
Troy Fumagalli                       6             0
Justin Britt                         5             0
Beau Benzschawel                     5             1
Tyrell Crosby                        4             1
Germain Ifedi                        4             2
Luke Joeckel                         3             0
Nick Vannett                         2             0
Doug Baldwin                         1             0
Tyler Lockett                        1             0

Game Log Ends

Let's do the same analysis as in last game:
Passing and Receiving

Tom Brady                       26   42  327   61   7.7    4    1    1   55   84.1
Russell Wilson                  21   33  254   63   7.6    5    2    0   43  107.3

My decision for using this game was because I had 2 of the best QBs is the game right now. I'll keep introducing ranges to every section, for passing and receiving, we are handling:
  • Completion Percentage: Highest is 72% (Held by New Orleans and Drew Brees). Lowest is 54% (Held by Cleveland and DeShone Kizer).
  • Yards Per Attempt: Highest is 8 Y/A (New Orleans holds this average, 7.9 yards per attempt). Lowest is 5 T/A (Held by Baltimore, 5.3 yards per attempts)
So, this looks pretty good with 60+% completed passes, and 7.7 and 7.6 yards per pass attempt. however let's see the receivers as well to get the full picture.

Chris Hogan                      8  179  22.3   55    1    1   54
Julian Edelman                   4   53  13.2   29    0    0    6
Brandin Cooks                    6   43   7.1   13    0    0    6
Cam Serigne                      2   23  11.5   18    0    0    0
James White                      1   10  10.0   10    0    0    3
Rob Gronkowski                   2   10   5.0    6    0    1    0
Dion Lewis                       1    4   4.0    4    0    1    0
Jacob Hollister                  1    3   3.0    3    0    0    0
Malcolm Mitchell                 1    2   2.0    2    0    0    0

I think 3 drops is better than last game's 4-5. Brady would have completed 69% of his passes had Hogan, Lewis and Gronk hang on to the ball. It should be noted, Brady at a point, completed 71% of his passes. He dipped, as all QBs in this game do in the 2nd half due to throwaways and poor reads.

Tyler Lockett                   10  141  14.0   43    0    0    5
Amara Darboh                     3   48  16.0   22    0    1    3
Jimmy Graham                     2   25  12.5   19    0    0    0
Tanner McEvoy                    3   23   7.6   15    1    0    0
Doug Baldwin                     3   17   5.6    8    1    0    3

Just 1 drop. Looks good. Would have been 66% if Barboh had hang on to the ball on that pass.

I still think that 4 drops for an NFL game is a bit too much. It should be around 2-3 drops at most. I'll keep tweaking to try to achieve this.

I will also note, I saw a correctly executed WR Screen pass in this one game. It looked great, Brady took the snap, Gronk blocked Richard Sherman caught the ball, Brandin Cooks catched the ball and started to rumble. Sherman caught up with him for an 8 yard gain.

Rushing:
Once again, let's introduce more ranges into the mix:
  • Yards Per Carry: Highest is 5 (Held by Kansas City at 4.7 YPC). Lowest is 3 (Held by Detroit, 3.4 YPC)

Dion Lewis                       6   59   9.8   53    1    0
James White                     16   42   2.6   15    0    0
Brandin Cooks                    1    7   7.0    7    0    0

It's the Patriots. They don't have a running game per se so. We have this. Removing Dion's 53 yard TD run, he carried the ball 5 times for 6 yards.

Thomas Rawls                    21  175   8.3   53    2    0
Eddie Lacy                       4   25   6.2   19    0    0
Russell Wilson                   7   24   3.4    9    0    0

Removing Thomas' 53 yard TD run, he would have 20 carries for 122 yards. 6.1 Yards Per Carry. Seems a bit too much. Some is helped by the lower Facemask, which means more broken tackle. It seems like Facemask is a general modifier for tackling.

Pace Of Play:
Remember the base we set before:
  • Average Time Of Possession: The range is 27 to 33. Cincinnati had the lowest average TOP, 27:09 per game. Philadelphia averaged the highest average TOP, 32:48 per game.
  • Plays Per Game: The range is 57 to 68. Cincinnati ran 57.8 plays last season in average, which is the minimum right now. New England ran 67.5 plays last season, in average.
  • Yards Per Game: The Range is 280 to 405 yards. Cincy once again has the lowest average, at 280.5 yards/game. New England had the best, 405.4 yards/game.
  • Yards Per Play: The range is 4 to 6.3. Indianapolis had the worst Yards per Play at 4.3. New Orleans had the best at 6.3.
However, I decided to add a few additional concepts:
  • Passing Attempts per Game: The Range is between 39 (New England had the highest average at 38.3) and 29 (Chicago holds the lowest average at 29).
  • Rushing Attempts per Game: The Range is between 34 (Jacksonville holds the highest average at 33.1) and 22 (Miami holds the lowest average at 22.5)
  • Pass/Run Ratio: The range is between 60% Pass/40% Run (New England's ratio was around 58% Pass/42% Run) and 49% Pass/51% Run (Held by Jacksonville, 49% Pass/51% Run).

Game Statistics:                 Seahawks   Patriots
Rushing Attempts                       32         23
Passing Attempts                       33         42
TOTAL OFFENSE                         458        412
TIME OF POSSESSION                  32:12      27:35

• Average Time Of Possession: If one team stays inside the limit, the other team will follow suit. For some reason, 13 seconds are lost somewhere. Anyway, both teams are inside the TOP range.
  • Plays Per Game: The Seahawks meet the range, at 65 plays. The Patriots followed the same pattern, same amount of plays at 65.
  • Yards Per Game: Both teams are out of this range. That is a bit of a problem.
  • Yards Per Play: And this is the reason why so many yards per game. The Seahawks have 7 Yards Per Play. New England has 6.3 Yards Per Play.
  • Passing Attempts Per Game: The Seahawks are inside this range, New England is out.
  • Rushing Attempts Per Game: Again, Seattle is inside the range, whereas New England is out.
  • Pass/Run Ratio: Seattle's Pass/Run Ratio was 51% Pass/49% Run. New England's was 65% Pass/35% Run.

New England has always been like this in my games. Always out of the scales, letting Brady throw down after down. It is not bad, could be better. It is Ok.

So, what we learned?
  • Passing is looking good, but the fact that QBs decompose on the 4th quarter is annoying.
  • Receiving is MOSTLY fine, except for a few too many drops for my likening.
  • Rushing is all over the damn place. Might have to lower Holding, Run Block or Clipping to fix it, without hurting screens.
  • Other than Bill Belichick being Bill Belichick, the Pace of Play looks fine.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 am

Decided to test this set on a Human vs. CPU game to check it's versatility. The changes I did to the set I used from this game are this:
  • Facemask: 70 (+5)
  • Clipping: 35 (-64)
  • Punt Catch Interference: 50 (-15)
The Wild Cards were: Intentional Grounding at 50. Sub Out/In at 87/92.

Madden NFL 08 PC v0.0 Game Log - Steelers at Jaguars
Game Time: Mon Apr 30 21:43:16 2018

Weather
Wind: 3 mph
Temp: 72 degrees

Steelers            0   10    0    7    0         17
Jaguars             6    0    0    7    0         13

Game Statistics:                 Steelers    Jaguars
First Downs                            19         17
Third Down Conversions                  5         10
Third Downs                            13         20
Third Down Percentage               38.5%      50.0%
Fourth Down Conversions                 1          0
Fourth Downs                            1          0
Fourth Down Percentage             100.0%       0.0%
Offense Redzone Num                     3          3
Offense Redzone TDs                     2          1
Offense Redzone FGs                     0          0
Offense Redzone Percentage          66.7%      33.3%
Rushing Attempts                       25         29
Rushing Yards                          91        115
Rushing Average                       3.6        4.0
Rushing TDs                             1          0
Passing Yards                         279        211
Passing Completions                    26         21
Passing Attempts                       38         40
Completion Percentage               68.4%      52.5%
Passing Average                       7.3        5.3
Passing TDs                             1          1
Offensive Pass Interceptions            1          1
TOTAL OFFENSE                         370        326
Defensive Pass Interceptions            1          1
Punt Return Yards                      17          9
Kick Return Yards                      73         55
Punts                                   6          4
Punt Avg                             42.8       48.5
Fumbles                                 2          1
Fumbles Lost                            1          1
Penalties                               3          0
Penalty Yds                            25          0
Turnovers                               2          2
TIME OF POSSESSION                  29:39      30:21

Individual Stats: Jaguars
Blake Bortles                   21   40  235   52   5.8    5    1    1   26   68.2

Leonard Fournette               23   91   3.9   25    0    1
Blake Bortles                    2    9   4.5    8    0    0
T. J. Yeldon                     2    8   4.0    8    0    0
Khalid Hill                      2    7   3.5    5    0    0

Allen Robinson                   5   59  11.7   22    1    2    3
Rashad Greene                    4   54  13.5   26    0    1    3
Marcedes Lewis                   6   50   8.3   18    0    0    8
Dede Westbrook                   4   43  10.7   21    0    1    5
Parris Campbell                  2   29  14.5   18    0    0    5
Khalid Hill                      0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

Jason Myers                      2    4   50          0    1    1  100          0        4          0

Brad Nortman                     4  194  48.5   58      0    1          1

Keelan Cole                      2   41  20.5    0   26
Rashad Greene                    1   14  14.0    0   14

Keelan Cole                      2    9   4.5    5    0
Rashad Greene                    0    0   0.0    0    0

Paul Posluszny                   8    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         2        1
Myles Jack                       7    2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Barry Church                     7    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         2        0
Calais Campbell                  4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Abry Jones                       4    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
A. J. Bouye                      3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         4        0
Jalen Ramsey                     3    1    0    0    0    0    0    1    2   2.0           1        0         3        1
Dante Fowler Jr.                 3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        1
Malik Jackson                    2    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Telvin Smith                     2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Yannick Ngakoue                  2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Rashad Greene                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Parry Nickerson                  1    0    0    0    1    2    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Allen Robinson                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Leonard Fournette                1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Tashaun Gipson                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Jalen Myrick                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0

Jermey Parnell                       6             0
Khalid Hill                          5             0
Ryan Groy                            5             1
Marcedes Lewis                       5             0
Lee Smith                            3             0
Dru Samia                            2             1
Cam Robinson                         2             0
Brandon Linder                       1             2
James O'Shaughnessy                  1             0
Allen Robinson                       1             0

Individual Stats: Steelers
Ben Roethlisbergr               26   38  290   68   7.6    2    1    1   51   88.7

Le'Veon Bell                    17   82   4.8   12    1    0
Ben Roethlisbergr                2   14   7.0   11    0    0
Rex Burkhead                     3    4   1.3    3    0    0
James Conner                     2    2   1.0    2    0    0
Deon Cain                        1  -11 -11.0    0    0    1

Antonio Brown                    8   88  11.0   51    0    3   36
Martavis Bryant                  5   82  16.3   24    1    2   24
Vance McDonald                   4   35   8.7   14    0    0    7
JuJu Smith-Schuste               2   31  15.5   27    0    0    0
Roosevelt Nix                    3   22   7.3   10    0    0    7
Eli Rogers                       1   15  15.0   15    0    0    1
Le'Veon Bell                     2   10   5.0    6    0    1   18
Rex Burkhead                     1    7   7.0    7    0    0    4

Chris Boswell                    1    2   50          0    2    2  100          0        4          1

Jordan Berry                     6  257  42.8   48      0    3          0

JuJu Smith-Schuste               4   73  18.2    0   23
Deon Cain                        0    0   0.0    0    0

Deon Cain                        1   17  17.0   17    0
JuJu Smith-Schuste               0    0   0.0    0    0

Ryan Shazier                    10    0    0    0    0    0    0    1    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Malik Jefferson                  6    1    1    0    1  -11    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         1        1
Sean Davis                       6    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         0        0
Stephon Tuitt                    5    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Bud Dupree                       5    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Javon Hargrave                   4    1    2    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Artie Burns                      4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           2        0         2        0
Cameron Sutton                   3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         1        0
Joe Haden                        3    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           3        0         1        0
Brian Allen                      3    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Cameron Heyward                  2    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Chris Boswell                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Calvin Pryor                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Robert Golden                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
T. J. Watt                       1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
J. J. Wilcox                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jamal Peters                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        1
Antonio Brown                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Skai Moore                       1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0

Ramon Foster                         8             0
Alejandro Villanueva                 5             0
Maurkice Pouncey                     5             0
Vance McDonald                       5             0
Marcus Gilbert                       4             1
David DeCastro                       3             1
Roosevelt Nix                        3             0
Derrick Coleman                      1             0
Martavis Bryant                      1             0
Jesse James                          1             0
Ben Roethlisbergr                    1             0

Game Log Ends

Passing and Receiving

Blake Bortles                   21   40  235   52   5.8    5    1    1   26   68.2
Ben Roethlisbergr               26   38  290   68   7.6    2    1    1   51   88.7

In the Completion Percentage department, it looks half good (Big Ben) and half bad (Bortles). In the Yards Per Attempt, it is just inside the range. Let's look at those drops.

Allen Robinson                   5   59  11.7   22    1    2    3
Rashad Greene                    4   54  13.5   26    0    1    3
Marcedes Lewis                   6   50   8.3   18    0    0    8
Dede Westbrook                   4   43  10.7   21    0    1    5
Parris Campbell                  2   29  14.5   18    0    0    5
Khalid Hill                      0    0   0.0    0    0    1    0

5 Drops by Jaguars receivers. This would have pushed Bortles to 65% completed passes.

Antonio Brown                    8   88  11.0   51    0    3   36
Martavis Bryant                  5   82  16.3   24    1    2   24
Vance McDonald                   4   35   8.7   14    0    0    7
JuJu Smith-Schuste               2   31  15.5   27    0    0    0
Roosevelt Nix                    3   22   7.3   10    0    0    7
Eli Rogers                       1   15  15.0   15    0    0    1
Le'Veon Bell                     2   10   5.0    6    0    1   18
Rex Burkhead                     1    7   7.0    7    0    0    4

6 Drops by Steelers receivers. This would have pushed Roethlisberger to 84% completed passes.

Rushing

Leonard Fournette               23   91   3.9   25    0    1
Blake Bortles                    2    9   4.5    8    0    0
T. J. Yeldon                     2    8   4.0    8    0    0
Khalid Hill                      2    7   3.5    5    0    0

Fournette had a pretty realistic YPC number.

Le'Veon Bell                    17   82   4.8   12    1    0
Ben Roethlisbergr                2   14   7.0   11    0    0
Rex Burkhead                     3    4   1.3    3    0    0
James Conner                     2    2   1.0    2    0    0
Deon Cain                        1  -11 -11.0    0    0    1

And Le'Veon Bell almost gets out of the scale.

Pace of Play:
Remember the base we set before:
  • Passing Attempts per Game: The Range is between 39 (New England had the highest average at 38.3) and 29 (Chicago holds the lowest average at 29).
  • Rushing Attempts per Game: The Range is between 34 (Jacksonville holds the highest average at 33.1) and 22 (Miami holds the lowest average at 22.5)
  • Pass/Run Ratio: The range is between 60% Pass/40% Run (New England's ratio was around 58% Pass/42% Run) and 49% Pass/51% Run (Held by Jacksonville, 49% Pass/51% Run).

Rushing Attempts                       25         29
Passing Attempts                       38         40
TOTAL OFFENSE                         370        326
TIME OF POSSESSION                  29:39      30:21

• Average Time Of Possession: Well inside the range. As even as you can possibly get.
  • Plays Per Game: The Steelers ran 63 plays in the game. The Jags ran 69 plays, which is outside of the range by 1 play. This can be explained by the fact they were behind for almost all of the game. This makes for a combined 132 plays per game, just inside the actual NFL pace of play (120 to 135 plays).
  • Yards Per Game: Both teams are in the middle of the range. Combined, they had 696 Yards in the game.
  • Yards Per Play: The Steelers had 5.87 Yards per Play, which is inside the range. The Jaguars had 4.62 Yards Per Play, also inside the range.
  • Passing Attempts per Game: At 38 passes, the Steelers were inside the range. The Jags are outside by 2 plays at 40, also explained due to the fact they needed a comeback.
  • Rushing Attempts per Game: Again, Pittsburgh is in the range at 25 rushing attempts. Jacksonville is also in the range at 29 rushing attempts.
  • Pass/Run Ratio: The Steelers' Pass/Run Ratio was a perfect 60%/40% split. The Jags' Pass Run Ratio is 58%/42% split.

Punts:

Punts                                   6          4
Punt Avg                             42.8       48.5

Punts are well inside the expected range of 6 to 14 punts per game. Each team is also inside the expected range of punts per team, which is 3 to 7.
Semper fi

waltraud2222
Rookie

Postby waltraud2222 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 am

Thank you for your work.
I´m hyped what you can figure out.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 am

Good stuff man!! Good stuff!

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Tue May 01, 2018 10:47 am

Have you ever considered that one if the reasons for bad completions being the hurry-up 2 min offense? I haven't looked to into it, but I've always thought it was weird they they do that when they have a nice lead. I've seen it cost some teams games because they score too quickly and leave too much time.

I was also looking into drops as well, and I've done a minor adjustment increasing the catch rating to 52. I've only watched like one game, but I did see more holding on to the ball after some big hits. I was thinking the range should be between 52-60, possibly.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 am

All right, I say that the changes done to the last game are go, plus a change to WR Catching. Those changes are:
  • WR Catching: 60 (+10)
  • Face Mask: 70 (+5)
  • Clipping: 35 (-64)
Also updated the OP with these changes. Now,
Brock wrote:Have you ever considered that one if the reasons for bad completions being the hurry-up 2 min offense? I haven't looked to into it, but I've always thought it was weird they they do that when they have a nice lead. I've seen it cost some teams games because they score too quickly and leave too much time.

In general, 2 minute drills and 2nd half play are what costs completion percentage to QBs. On the 1st half, I see them constantly put up 60+% and even 70%+ performances, then because of fatigue or whatever reason, they slow down a lot and start throwing incomplete. That happened in the Steelers vs. Jags, and Seahawks vs. Pats games above.

As for specifically the 2 minute drill, I'm not sure why they keep hurrying up, because when they have a nice comfy lead, they should just let the clock run. This might be related to Offensive Aggression (Which all the coaches are set to 53 in my build), or something else. I think they should run a standard offensive in the 1st half 2 minute drill, but do everything possible in the 2nd half 2 minute drill. I would have to mess around with Offensive Aggression to see what they do.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok, I fixed 2 problems all at once, but created another one in the process. I decided to tweak a bit the sliders to see if I could fix the drops issue and I think I did it with this change:
WR Catching: 60 (+10)
Additionally, I decided to target directly the long bombs problem and, in general, big plays all the time. When doing my Player Weapons Overhaul project, I found a problem. The problem was that if the team had receivers with the Deep Threat or Go-To Guy player weapons (Which have increased Speed and Acceleration), the CPU would go deep more constantly. That lead to me targeting the slider that affects Speed and Acceleration, RB Ability. I lowered it, and the longest pass in the game was a 33 yard pass. There was a big play, a 64 yard TD run. But that one happened because of great blocking and sheer ability to dodge tackles. Anyway, this is how RB ability looks like
RB Ability: 50 (-13)
So, let's analyze the game. The Wild Cards were: Intentional Grounding at 99, Sub Out/In at 87/92.

Madden NFL 08 PC v0.0 Game Log - Bears at Texans
Game Time: Tue May 01 12:15:55 2018

Receiver Catching                 60    60
Running Ability                   50    50

Weather
Wind: 0 mph
Temp: 81 degrees

Bears               3    0    6    0    0          9
Texans              3   20    0    9    0         32

First Downs                            17         14
Third Down Conversions                  2          2
Third Downs                            13         13
Third Down Percentage               15.4%      15.4%
Fourth Downs                            2          0
Offense Redzone Num                     4          5
Offense Redzone TDs                     0          2
Offense Redzone FGs                     1          2
Offense Redzone Percentage          25.0%      80.0%
Rushing Attempts                       24         35
Rushing Yards                          94        149
Rushing Average                       3.9        4.3
Rushing TDs                             0          1
Passing Yards                         255        208
Passing Completions                    22         19
Passing Attempts                       45         26
Completion Percentage               48.9%      73.1%
Passing Average                       5.7        8.0
Passing TDs                             0          2
Offensive Pass Interceptions            6          2
TOTAL OFFENSE                         349        357
Defensive Pass Interceptions            2          6
Punt Return Yards                       2          4
Kick Return Yards                     108         62
Punts                                   4          4
Punt Avg                             46.8       49.0
Fumbles                                 1          1
Fumbles Lost                            1          0
Penalties                               2          3
Penalty Yds                            17         31
Turnovers                               7          2
TIME OF POSSESSION                  29:59      29:49

Individual Stats: Texans
Deshaun Watson                  19   26  219   73   8.4    4    2    2   31   91.6

Lamar Miller                    23  129   5.6   64    1    0
D'onta Foreman                   9   17   1.8   10    0    0
Deshaun Watson                   3    3   1.0    8    0    1

DeAndre Hopkins                  6   74  12.3   31    0    0   17
C. J. Fiedorowicz                3   48  16.0   30    0    0   28
Will Fuller                      3   34  11.3   21    0    0    0
Bruce Ellington                  1   21  21.0   21    0    0    0
Jay Prosch                       1   17  17.0   17    1    0    2
Equanimeous St. Brown            3   15   5.0    7    0    0    0
Stephen Anderson                 2   10   5.0    8    1    0    0

Ka'lmi Fairbairn                 4    6   66          0    3    2   66          0        0          0
J.K. Scott                       0    0    0          0    0    0    0          0        8          3

J.K. Scott                       4  196  49.0   52      0    1          0

Bruce Ellington                  3   62  20.6    0   24

Bruce Ellington                  1    4   4.0    4    0

Kemal Ishmael                    8    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0
Johnathan Joseph                 8    0    0    0    0    0    0    2   18   9.0           1        0         6        0
Zach Cunningham                  7    0    0    1    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Whitney Mercilus                 6    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Mike Mitchell                    5    0    0    0    0    0    0    1    6   6.0           3        0         0        0
Jadeveon Clowney                 4    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Kevin Johnson                    3    0    1    0    0    0    0    1    6   6.0           2        0         1        0
J. J. Watt                       3    0    1    0    0    0    0    1   11  11.0           0        0         0        0
Morris Claiborne                 3    0    0    0    1    1    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Benardrick McKinney              2    0    0    0    0    0    0    1    2   2.0           3        0         0        0
Joel Heath                       1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jay Prosch                       1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Kareem Jackson                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           3        0         2        0
Brennan Scarlett                 1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Eddie Pleasant                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Desmond Bryant                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0

Duane Brown                          6             0
Jay Prosch                           5             0
Greg Van Roten                       5             1
Stephen Anderson                     4             0
C. J. Fiedorowicz                    4             0
Jah Reid                             3             1
DeAndre Hopkins                      3             0
Will Clapp                           3             0
J. R. Sweezy                         2             0

Individual Stats: Bears
Mitchell Trubisky               22   45  265   48   5.8    3    0    6   33   27.8

Jordan Howard                   18   69   3.8   16    0    0
Mitchell Trubisky                2   16   8.0   13    0    0
Mike Burton                      3   11   3.6    4    0    0
Tarik Cohen                      1   -2  -2.0    0    0    0

Kendall Wright                   7   87  12.4   21    0    0   21
Allen Hurns                      3   75  25.0   33    0    0   14
Markus Wheaton                   6   58   9.6   26    0    0    5
Marvin Jones                     3   36  12.0   19    0    1    3
Zach Miller                      1    4   4.0    4    0    0    0
Adam Shaheen                     1    3   3.0    3    0    0    0
J'Mon Moore                      1    2   2.0    2    0    0    0

Connor Barth                     3    3  100          0    0    0    0          0        0          0
Pat O'Donnell                    0    0    0          0    0    0    0          0        4          1

Pat O'Donnell                    4  187  46.7   54      0    0          1

Eddie Jackson                    5  108  21.5    0   30

Eddie Jackson                    1    2   2.0    2    0

Jerrell Freeman                  7    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Pernell McPhee                   6    1    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Adrian Amos                      6    0    0    0    0    0    0    1    5   5.0           1        0         0        0
Kyle Fuller                      6    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         3        0
Prince Amukamara                 6    2    0    0    0    0    0    1   -1  -1.0           0        0         3        0
Eddie Goldman                    5    3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Quintin Demps                    4    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         1        0
Mitch Unrein                     4    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jordan Thomas                    3    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Akiem Hicks                      3    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Leonard Floyd                    3    0    1    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         2        0
Danny Trevathan                  2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Kyle Long                        2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Allen Hurns                      1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Markus Wheaton                   1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Jordan Howard                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Willie Young                     1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Zach Miller                      1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Mitchell Trubisky                1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Pat O'Donnell                    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           0        0         0        0
Cre'von LeBlanc                  0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0   0.0           1        0         0        0

Orlando Brown Jr.                    9             0
Josh Sitton                          6             0
Cody Whitehair                       4             0
Zach Miller                          3             0
Mike Remmers                         2             1
Marvin Jones                         1             0
Adam Shaheen                         1             0
Jordan Howard                        1             0
Mike Burton                          1             0
Kyle Long                            1             0

Game Log Ends

Passing and Receiving

Deshaun Watson                  19   26  219   73   8.4    4    2    2   31   91.6
Mitchell Trubisky               22   45  265   48   5.8    3    0    6   33   27.8

This is the problem raising WR Catching generated. Since it affects every player, it affects defensive players as well, which means more interceptions. Trubisky was at the short end of the stick on this one. Even J.J. Watt picked him off. I will lower Interceptions on the very next game to see what results. Let's focus on Deshaun Watson, who had a more NFL looking performance. His completion percentage is out of the scale by one point (Although I like that it is so high). And his Yards per Attempt also are out of the scale by 0.4 points, which I also like. Trubisky had crappy completion percentage (Had those 6 picks be completed passes to Bears receivers, he would have completed 62% of his passes). His Yards per Attempt are inside the range. What about receiving though?

DeAndre Hopkins                  6   74  12.3   31    0    0   17
C. J. Fiedorowicz                3   48  16.0   30    0    0   28
Will Fuller                      3   34  11.3   21    0    0    0
Bruce Ellington                  1   21  21.0   21    0    0    0
Jay Prosch                       1   17  17.0   17    1    0    2
Equanimeous St. Brown            3   15   5.0    7    0    0    0
Stephen Anderson                 2   10   5.0    8    1    0    0

YES! No Drops at all.

Kendall Wright                   7   87  12.4   21    0    0   21
Allen Hurns                      3   75  25.0   33    0    0   14
Markus Wheaton                   6   58   9.6   26    0    0    5
Marvin Jones                     3   36  12.0   19    0    1    3
Zach Miller                      1    4   4.0    4    0    0    0
Adam Shaheen                     1    3   3.0    3    0    0    0
J'Mon Moore                      1    2   2.0    2    0    0    0

Yes, 1 drop. I won't complain because it is 1 combined drop for both teams. I like that.

Rushing:

Lamar Miller                    23  129   5.6   64    1    0
D'onta Foreman                   9   17   1.8   10    0    0
Deshaun Watson                   3    3   1.0    8    0    1

Let's remove that 64 yard TD run out of the mix. 2.8 Yards Per Carry. I can explain, in one very memorable occasion, he bounced off his blockers, ran backwards while throwing a stiff arm to the air, and got tackled some 5-10 yards for loss. His yards per carry would be close to 3 had that stupid run never happened.

Jordan Howard                   18   69   3.8   16    0    0
Mitchell Trubisky                2   16   8.0   13    0    0
Mike Burton                      3   11   3.6    4    0    0
Tarik Cohen                      1   -2  -2.0    0    0    0

Great runs by Howard. Can't complain at all about this.

Pace of Play:

Rushing Attempts                       24         35
Passing Attempts                       45         26
TOTAL OFFENSE                         349        357
TIME OF POSSESSION                  29:59      29:49

I hate when time is lost for no reason. 12 seconds got lost somewhere in the log, not sure why.
  • Average Time Of Possession: Well inside the range. As even as you can possibly get. Even taking into account the lost time
  • Plays Per Game: The Bears ran 69 plays in the game, which is outside the range by 1, due to the fact they were trying to comeback a lot. The Texans ran 61 plays. This makes for a combined 130 plays per game, just inside the actual NFL pace of play (120 to 135 plays).
  • Yards Per Game: Both teams are in the middle of the range. Combined, they had 706 Yards in the game.
  • Yards Per Play: The Bears had 5.06 Yards per Play, which is inside the range. The Texans had 5.82 Yards Per Play, also inside the range.
  • Passing Attempts per Game: At 45 passes, the Bears were out of this range by 6 plays. Explained by their comeback needs. The Texans ran 26 of the things, outside of the range due to the fact they had the lead.
  • Rushing Attempts per Game: Chicago is in the range at 24 rushing attempts. Houston is out of this range by 1 run, at 35 runs in the game, explained by their lead.
  • Pass/Run Ratio: The Bears' Pass/Run Ratio was a 65%/45% split. The Texans' Pass Run Ratio is 42%/58% split.

A lot of this can be explained by Trubisky's 6 interceptions. I would have to do this on a game with lower INTs.

So, what we learned?
  • WR Catching affects defensive players as well, including defensive linemen.
  • Interceptions need to go down.
  • RB Ability generated big plays by inflating Speed and Acceleration.
  • CPU vs. CPU games tend to have "Lost" time

Now, the post is technically over, but I'll post a little theory I have on RB Ability and Speed. It's on a Spoiler in case you don't want to skip over it.
Spoiler:
So, I think what each slider does is amplify or reduce a player stat based on percentage. Let's say we have Speed and RB Ability. Let's have 3 players, a Defensive Lineman at 70 Speed, a Free Safety at 85 Speed, and a Wide Receiver at 95 Speed. My thinking about how the calculation works is: Speed * (50 + RB Ability)%. In other words, the game can change the stat in a range of 50% to 149%. Let's look at it with some numbers to get a better picture. First, saying RB Ability is 50.
  • D-Lineman: 70 * (50 + 50)% = 70 * 100% = 70 * 1= 70
  • Free Safety: 85 * (50 + 50)% = 85 * 100% = 85 * 1= 85
  • Wide Receiver: 95 * (50 + 50)% = 95 * 100% = 95 * 1= 95
So, as expected, every player should use his defined rating. However, let's see what happens when we tone it down to ... say ... RB Ability 30.
  • D-Lineman: 70 * (50 + 30)% = 70 * 80% = 70 * 0.8= 56
  • Free Safety: 85 * (50 + 30)% = 85 * 80% = 85 * 0.8= 68
  • Wide Receiver: 95 * (50 + 30)% = 95 * 80% = 95 * 0.8= 76
As you can see, everyone slows down, but the higher the rating, the higher is the reduction the player goes through. What will happen with RB Ability 63?
  • D-Lineman: 70 * (50 + 63)% = 70 * 113% = 70 * 1.13= 79.1 (Rounded to 79)
  • Free Safety: 85 * (50 + 63)% = 85 * 113% = 85 * 1.13= 96.05 (Rounded to 96)
  • Wide Receiver: 95 * (50 + 63)% = 95 * 113% = 95 * 1.13= 107.35 (Rounded to 107)
Yes, that's right. A stat over 100. Devin Hester held the highest speed rating ever in Madden at 100 Speed. Anyway, once again, the higher the rating, the more the speed up. This makes me think, going to how the QB thinks about it, if RB ability was at 63, at the 95 Speed receiver was lined up against the 85 Speed Free Safety, he would for it because of the speed difference (11 points).

Now, I don't really know how it works. This is the way I THINK Madden 08 uses the sliders to amplify or lower players stats in the middle of the game.
Semper fi

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”