Fast-Sim High INTs

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
mattjames2010
Rookie

Fast-Sim High INTs

Postby mattjames2010 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm

I have applied the CMP66's adjustments, and while it improved passing/rushing yard totals, the INT totals are just insane. Not one QB, because of this, has a rating over 90 in the first season I simmed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/play ... at/passing

Looking at this years stats, only one starting QB had over 20 INTs. League average seems to be around 13-15 (Many QBs have less due to less pass attempts, but adjusting, they'd most likely meet the NFL average)

Applying the CMP66 adjustments, it neither brings passing yardage totals to realism, it gives the league 4-5 QBs who throw over 20 INTs and rarely if ever someone who throws single digit INTs. I mean, Tom Brady only throwing a total of 25 TDs and 20 INTs? Come on now...

Is this something that has never been fixed because it's a bit of a deal breaker for me. Is there something else I need to go in and change?

Fast-Sim High INTs

Sponsor

Sponsor

xxxJJJxxx
Veteran

Re: Fast-Sim High INTs

Postby xxxJJJxxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 am

Sorry I did not notice this thread otherwise I could of told you how to do this a long time ago. If you have not figured it out yourself yet, the Catch rating for LBs and DBs is the slider for simulation INT ratio. You can use an editor to do global edits to player ratings to make it a lot faster and easier.

This is the (average) results I get when I set all LB and DB Catch ratings to 0:

https://imgur.com/a/zAnoq

As you can see the most INT thrown was 19 by McCown. Aaron Rodgers has a 4.8 INT ratio in this simulated season and in real life he has a 4.1 career total (this [real life] season he has a 4.3).

However, doing this is going to negatively effect the overall rating of the defenders and the INT stat line. If you are still going to want some defenders to stand out in the INT stat line then you will want to give those players a bit of a bonus to their Catch rating. That way, as the seasons pass, they end up with the most INT like they should have (it just won't be a ridiculously high amount). For example, give Richard Sherman a 25 Catch rating instead of a 0.

And, obviously, another downside is if you actually play the games then it won't be very realistic as the defenders will drop practically every interception. This is really for simulating better INT ratios only.

As far as passing yard totals go, the issue there is Yards Per Pass Attempt. In simulation the QBs average 1 to 1.5 yards less than real life. There are 20 QBs over 7 YPA this real life season and 5 over 8 YPA while only 2 QBs have over a 7 in simulation. On 500 pass attempts that is 500 to 550 missing yards from their stat line.

If you adjust the play percentages to get more passing yards then the rushing yards are unrealistic as would be the total pass attempts. The issue here, I think (don't know), are the playbooks. If someone edited all playbooks to extend passing routes 1 to 2 yards further down the field then I think that might solve this issue but I doubt anyone is going to try that without knowing it is going to work. Would be a lot of wasted time if it didn't.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 am

xxxJJJxxx wrote:Sorry I did not notice this thread otherwise I could of told you how to do this a long time ago. If you have not figured it out yourself yet, the Catch rating for LBs and DBs is the slider for simulation INT ratio. You can use an editor to do global edits to player ratings to make it a lot faster and easier.

This is the (average) results I get when I set all LB and DB Catch ratings to 0:

As you can see the most INT thrown was 19 by McCown. Aaron Rodgers has a 4.8 INT ratio in this simulated season and in real life he has a 4.1 career total (this [real life] season he has a 4.3).

However, doing this is going to negatively effect the overall rating of the defenders and the INT stat line. If you are still going to want some defenders to stand out in the INT stat line then you will want to give those players a bit of a bonus to their Catch rating. That way, as the seasons pass, they end up with the most INT like they should have (it just won't be a ridiculously high amount). For example, give Richard Sherman a 25 Catch rating instead of a 0.

And, obviously, another downside is if you actually play the games then it won't be very realistic as the defenders will drop practically every interception. This is really for simulating better INT ratios only.

As far as passing yard totals go, the issue there is Yards Per Pass Attempt. In simulation the QBs average 1 to 1.5 yards less than real life. There are 20 QBs over 7 YPA this real life season and 5 over 8 YPA while only 2 QBs have over a 7 in simulation. On 500 pass attempts that is 500 to 550 missing yards from their stat line.

If you adjust the play percentages to get more passing yards then the rushing yards are unrealistic as would be the total pass attempts. The issue here, I think (don't know), are the playbooks. If someone edited all playbooks to extend passing routes 1 to 2 yards further down the field then I think that might solve this issue but I doubt anyone is going to try that without knowing it is going to work. Would be a lot of wasted time if it didn't.

This is interesting.

xxxJJJxxx
Veteran

Postby xxxJJJxxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 am

xxxJJJxxx wrote:As far as passing yard totals go, the issue there is Yards Per Pass Attempt. In simulation the QBs average 1 to 1.5 yards less than real life. There are 20 QBs over 7 YPA this real life season and 5 over 8 YPA while only 2 QBs have over a 7 in simulation. On 500 pass attempts that is 500 to 550 missing yards from their stat line.

Alternatively, this could actually be a result of plays the AI pick. In the playbook editor you will notice that there is a decent selection of situations that govern which plays the AI pick (and which plays Madden picks for you when you ask for a Madden suggested play). For example, 1st and 10, 3rd and short, 4th down, ect. I notice most AI teams pick a lot of 2 WR formations most of the time (meaning TEs and FBs get more receptions and they average less yards per reception than WRs). The AI seems to pick 4 WR formations mostly only on 3rd and long situations. This could also explain why the YPA in simulation is less than real life since in real life they run 4 WR formations very often. Adding more 4 WR formations to the 1st and 2nd down situations would be a lot easier rather than editing all the plays individually to extend the routes.

xxxJJJxxx
Veteran

Postby xxxJJJxxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 am

Kevin5455 wrote:This is interesting.

Thanks Kevin!

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 am

xxxJJJxxx wrote:Sorry I did not notice this thread otherwise I could of told you how to do this a long time ago. If you have not figured it out yourself yet, the Catch rating for LBs and DBs is the slider for simulation INT ratio. You can use an editor to do global edits to player ratings to make it a lot faster and easier.

This is indeed very interesting!

I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to do it in franchise mode. You would have to edit the catch ratings before every game so that your opponent and your team has the default catch ratings and every other team has a 0..I wonder how that would be easiest to do?

xxxJJJxxx
Veteran

Postby xxxJJJxxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 am

rambolz wrote:This is indeed very interesting!

I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to do it in franchise mode. You would have to edit the catch ratings before every game so that your opponent and your team has the default catch ratings and every other team has a 0..I wonder how that would be easiest to do?

This is for franchise mode. You only have to edit the ratings once unless you want to reset them to 0 after progression periods. You do global edits (meaning one single edit applies to all players in an entire position) using editors. I personally use MaddenAmp4 for my global ratings edits. It takes, literally, 2 minutes to change all LBs and DBs Catch rating to 0.

If you are talking about actually playing the games, then yes, you would have to manually edit each team you play against every week if you want the game play to be realistic. However, something I have not tried was setting the Interception Difficulty slider up to 99. I don't know if that will offset it but I doubt it. Like I said in my original post, this is really for getting the AI simulation to have better INT ratios. Users don't throw 20 picks a season anyway so honestly I don't really see it as that much of an issue. If you are someone who only throws 5-10 INT per season then you will probably throw 2-7 instead due to AI dropping INTs.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am

xxxJJJxxx wrote:If you are talking about actually playing the games, then yes, you would have to manually edit each team you play against every week if you want the game play to be realistic. However, something I have not tried was setting the Interception Difficulty slider up to 99. I don't know if that will offset it but I doubt it. Like I said in my original post, this is really for getting the AI simulation to have better INT ratios. Users don't throw 20 picks a season anyway so honestly I don't really see it as that much of an issue. If you are someone who only throws 5-10 INT per season then you will probably throw 2-7 instead due to AI dropping INTs.

Yes, that was what I was talking about. I play coach mode, so if I set every team's catch to 0 then the games I play would be very low INT and the simulated games would be fine. I guess it would work to set all teams to 0 and stay at that, the played games would be low INT games but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing. My QB would probably throw a few INTs less than the average because of the low catch ratings of opponents, and my defense would likely intercept less passes if I set them to 0 also.

Other option would be to save every defensive players catch ratings somewhere and adjust them before I play a game against them, but I think that would be a bit too much work.

I might give this a try when I start my new franchise shortly, I'll be sure to report back the results I get!

xxxJJJxxx
Veteran

Postby xxxJJJxxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am

Yeah, it don't make it impossible for the AI to INT, they just drop the ball at a higher rate. I didn't realise you were a coach though. This is also another reason to boost Catch rating for the elite players like Sherman. Now you might really fear passing to Sherman's side of the field knowing his chance to intercept is much, much, higher than the average player. You might even want to keep the elite defenders ratings where they are but put all the average, replaceable, players to 0. That might give you decent balance in your coached games and it probably won't effect the INT ratio too much. Maybe the best QBs will have 3.0 ratio instead of 4.0. You can always do a test sim of a season (without coaching any games) just to see if you have INT ratio for the AI to an acceptable level.

With MaddenAmp4 you can do global edits to the average players and leave out the elites. For example, just make sure to choose the settings like:

All CB
Catch Rating
Equal to or less than 70
Set to 0

Then any CB with a 70 or lower Catch rating will be set to 0 and anyone above 70 will be left alone.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 am

xxxJJJxxx wrote:Yeah, it don't make it impossible for the AI to INT, they just drop the ball at a higher rate. I didn't realise you were a coach though. This is also another reason to boost Catch rating for the elite players like Sherman. Now you might really fear passing to Sherman's side of the field knowing his chance to intercept is much, much, higher than the average player. You might even want to keep the elite defenders ratings where they are but put all the average, replaceable, players to 0. That might give you decent balance in your coached games and it probably won't effect the INT ratio too much. Maybe the best QBs will have 3.0 ratio instead of 4.0. You can always do a test sim of a season (without coaching any games) just to see if you have INT ratio for the AI to an acceptable level.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'll have the best DB's with a higher catch rating than the average ones, and maybe try to adjust the INT slider for the games I play. That should make the played games have more INTs.

And I will for sure do a simmed test season before I start the real one!

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”