List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Please contribute and discuss, otherwise why are you even here?

Animation Sliders: Work (only?) in slow-sims (CPU/CPU and CPU/Human), most likely don't affect fast-sims

QB Accuracy - Seems to control not just the throwing accuracy of the QB, but also their awareness, their ability to move around quickly in the pocket, and their ability to dodge sacks/tackles. Might control awareness and reaction times of the entire team, including special teams, not just QB.

Pass Blocking - how easily/long blocks are held during passing plays?

WR Catching - Controls certain catching animations. "It also impacts the percentages of passes caught/dropped, regardless of the players' catching ratings." [thank you ycleped]

RB Ability - Appears to control movement of every player, including any ball carrier and possibly how well receivers run their routes. "Definitely impacts not only the movement of the players but how well they hold the ball. I've been messing around with this and have found at lower levels it is very difficult to trigger a truck stick broken tackle, and failed attempts often result in fumbles. A lot of fumbles. It even seems as though this slider slows the player down." [thank you ycleped]

Run Blocking - how easily Oline gets off line to create blocks? "What I hypothesize is that when the QB is dropping back to pass, the pass blocking slider is the one that is used. If passing isn't an option (i.e. any type of turnover return, kick return, run play, or QB passing the line of scrimmage), the run blocking slider is what is used. And I guarantee it affects the whole team." [thank you ycleped]

D Awareness - Controls defense reaction times, including on punt returns. Also seems to control how much separation a receiver can create, possibly how easily corners can bat down passes (this may or may not be controlled by Knockdowns too), possibly how many broken tackles are observed. "Not only that, but it also controls how fast the defense reacts, especially on play action, how fast the defense commits to either the run or pass and how accurate the commit is." [thank you ycleped]

Knockdowns - could control how easily corners bat the ball, or it might just control how easily defensive linemen are able to bat the ball down at the line of scrimmage, or perhaps both.

Interceptions - might control how aggressively defenses pursue interceptions, might control certain defender catching animations. "What this slider does is raises the chances across the board for the whole defense of catching the passes that are thrown to them. I can't say for certain if it does the other things you say it might do, but I know for certain it increases the chances for every defender of catching a ball." [thank you ycleped]

Break Block - probably how long blocks are held, along with Pass Blocking/Run Blocking. "I'm guessing this impacts the strength rating. If you have a 95 str RG and a 95 str DT, almost all of the time the RG will hold out longer. Increase the slider, however, and it gives the DT more of a shot of shedding blocks. The offense has the advantage to start with, so this slider allows this advantage to be changed." [thank you ycleped]

Tackling - certain tackling animations, maybe how many tackles are broken, etc.

FG Length - could mean several things; some might theorize that it controls the power of the kicker, and some might theorize that it controls the AI's decision-making regarding going for longer field goals. However, I would suggest that it defines a boundary on the field that the defense becomes more aggressive about protecting. Who knows.

FG Accuracy - same as FG Len, could mean several things, but generally as this increases the likelihood of a kicker making a longer field goal will also increase.

Punt Length - this one is one of the only self explanatory ones, controls max/average punt distances.

Punt Accuracy - will impact how many Punts Inside 20 occur, and consequently starting field position.

Kickoff Length - self explanatory

Penalty Sliders: more information required to determine whether these affect only slow-sims, or also fast-sims. Does anyone notice a difference in fast-sim stats as penalty sliders are adjusted? My current guess is that these only affect slow-sims

False St./Facemask/Clipping - increasing seems to increase penalties called, but these might also affect the decision-making of the AI, making the relationship very non-linear when it comes to penalty sliders.

Holding - higher values result in more holding calls.

Int Grounding - seems to affect when/how often a QB throws the ball away, and whether the ball is thrown near receivers (higher values) or not.

Offensive PI - might depend on other factors; I've seen this called once (I believe I've seen a receiver push-off animation).

Defensive PI - might control how aggressively the defense tries to bump receivers off their routes; it is unclear, but there is more PI called at higher values.

Roughing passer/kicker - tough to determine if increasing these actually increases amount of penalties, or it affects AI decision-making more.

Coach Sliders: some work in slow-sims, others work only in fast-sims

Offensive Pass/Run Ratio - Seems to impact fast-simmed games, which cmp66's recommendations would indicate. No idea to what extent this affects live games/slow-sims, but other users assert that it does. My thinking is the playbook PBAI tagging also has a lot to do with Pass/Run%, and this slider might affect the decisions made on a case-by-case basis in certain game situations (1st & 10, 3rd & short, etc.), rather than as a "standard" Pass/Run% overall.

Defensive Pass/Run Ratio - Controls which type of substitution packages are preferred and also influences defensive passing and rushing stats; high run defense results in better defensive rushing stats, while higher pass defense results in better defensive passing stats. Having this slider too far in either direction may result in overly effective defense in that area. Which nickel and dime packages are favored, like 2-4-5 or 3-2-6, as well as a preference for dime (run) vs quarter (pass), can be adjusted using this slider; see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18504#p80886. However, I can't confirm whether this affects slow-sims, fast-sims, or both.

Playbook - I'd say probably doesn't affect fast-sims. Obviously will greatly affect slow-sims, though.

Offensive Aggression - Controls team Philosophy (check Player Info); values of 50 or under (default middle) will foster a "Vertical Passing" or "Establish Run" team philosophy, whereas values 51 or over will foster a "West Coast" or "Ball Control" team philosophy. Whether a team is "Vertical" or "West Coast" has a profound impact on Yards Per Attempt for passers:
BelieverInTeal wrote:Here are my results:

Spoiler:
*Pass yardage does not include yards after the catch. I wanted to see whether a QB would choose deeper options more often than a shallow option.

What you see on the left was a game under 8 minute quarters. On the right was a game under 15 minute quarters. Can you guess which coaches had aggression at 21 and which at 79?

The answer is that Kubiak and Garrett were at 21. Kelly and Bellichick were at 79. This appears to corroborate with moonbax's results.

It looks like higher aggression leads to more short passes

Defensive Aggression - Still a bit of a mystery; might control Man/Zone ratio, might control blitz percentages. More data desperately needed by forum users.

RB1/RB2 - affects (only?) fast-sims; RB2 is fullback, slider determines amount of FB snaps or carries in fast-sims [determined based on observations/data by ycleped].

General Settings: seem to be only for slow-sims(?)

Fatigue (and Auto subs) - Only for slow-sims; needed if you want to see your second and even third depth players on the field.

Sub OUT/IN - only affects slow-sims; players will sub out of game when they reach Sub OUT %, and re-enter the game when they reach Sub IN %. Basically represents player fatigue/awareness/reaction times.

Pass Leading - A QB "leading" a receiver probably means they are placing the ball where only the receiver can get it. At least, that's my best guess; as this was increased I noticed more high and low passes.

Random Weather - This one is confusing. When random weather is off I tend to see conditions that more closely adhere to the weather variables entered in the CITY table of a .ros/.fra, which contain entries for average temp and wind speeds by location. In particular, some locations were given wind values of up to 15 (Buffalo, Jacksonville), and both Santa Clara and SF are given a whopping 35, which seems to be intended for Candlestick Park, however, this was not adjusted for Santa Clara (I recommend this be adjusted).

Offense Catch Assist - "On offense if you are user controlling a WR for the catch after the ball is thrown, with the offensive catch assist set to 'on", the WR will attempt to catch the pass even if you don't press the 'catch' button when controlling him. If set to off, you MUST press the catch button in order to catch a pass while usering a WR." [thank you very much ycleped]

Defense Pass Assist - "Defensive pass assist affects the same thing, only swatting involved too. If you are controlling a defender when this is on and you don't press swat or catch, the defender you are controlling will still attempt to catch/swat with the help of the CPU. With it off, the defender will do nothing towards the ball unless you manually try to catch or swat." [thank you very much ycleped]

Blocking Settings:

"Before the snap on offense, you can switch to whatever player you want and control them for the duration of the play. If you switch to a blocker pre-snap on a run play, these sliders affect your blocking.

With blocking slowdown on, while controlling a player on a run play that is NOT your ball carrier, the game will go into slow motion to make it easier for you to manually throw blocks for your ball carrier.

With Switch Slowdown, switching back to the ball carrier will be slowed down too so that you can take a second to see where you are actually going before resuming to normal game speed.

With Auto Switch back, the game will switch you back to your ball carrier after a certain amount of time of controlling a blocker." [all by ycleped]

Sponsor

Sponsor

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Re: List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Postby ycleped » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:16 pm

moonbax wrote:Please contribute and discuss, otherwise why are you even here?

Damn, you seem pissed. As a matter of fact, good for you. I would be too if I was running a whole research project on the game and nobody in the community was helping me. I'm all in on helping.

moonbax wrote:Animation Sliders: Work (only?) in slow-sims (CPU/CPU and CPU/Human)

From what I've seen, yeah, only in slow-sims.

moonbax wrote:QB Accuracy - Seems to control not just the throwing accuracy of the QB, but also their awareness, their ability to move around quickly in the pocket, and their ability to dodge sacks. Might control awareness of the entire team, not just QB.

I agree.

moonbax wrote:Pass Blocking - how easily/long blocks are held during passing plays?

If the pass blocking attribute does this for a single player, perhaps the slider affects the ratio for the whole line.

moonbax wrote:WR Catching - Controls certain catching animations.

It also impacts the percentages of passes caught/dropped, regardless of the players' catching ratings.

moonbax wrote:RB Ability - Appears to control movement of every player, including any ball carrier and possibly how well receivers run their routes.

Definitely impacts not only the movement of the players but how well they hold the ball. I've been messing around with this and have found at lower levels it is very difficult to trigger a truck stick broken tackle, and failed attempts often result in fumbles. A lot of fumbles. It even seems as though this slider slows the player down...

moonbax wrote:Run Blocking - how easily Oline gets off line to create blocks?

Yeah, and what I said about pass blocking slider too. But I'm almost entirely positive that the sliders don't both work together in harmony. What I hypothesize is that when the QB is dropping back to pass, the pass blocking slider is the one that is used. If passing isn't an option (i.e. any type of turnover return, kick return, run play, or QB passing the line of scrimmage), the run blocking slider is what is used. And I guarantee it affects the whole team.

moonbax wrote:D Awareness - Seems to control how much separation a receiver can create, possibly how easily corners can bat down passes (this may or may not be controlled by Knockdowns too), possibly how many broken tackles are observed.

Not only that, but it also controls how fast the defense reacts, especially on play action, how fast the defense commits to either the run or pass and how accurate the commit is.

moonbax wrote:Knockdowns - could control how easily corners bat the ball, or it might just control how easily defensive linemen are able to bat the ball down at the line of scrimmage, or perhaps both.

I've seen this impact both.

moonbax wrote:Interceptions - might control how aggressively defenses pursue interceptions, might control certain defender catching animations.

This is where it gets interesting. I've noticed that regardless of the catching rating of a player, the defense always has more problems catching balls than the offense does. My 81 catch rating safety shouldn't be dropping balls thrown right to him especially when I'm trying to user pick, but he does. What this slider does is raises the chances across the board for the whole defense of catching the passes that are thrown to them. I can't say for certain if it does the other things you say it might do, but I know for certain it increases the chances for every defender of catching a ball.

moonbax wrote:Break Block - probably how long blocks are held, along with Pass Blocking/Run Blocking.

I'm guessing this impacts the strength rating. If you have a 95 str RG and a 95 str DT, almost all of the time the RG will hold out longer. Increase the slider, however, and it gives the DT more of a shot of shedding blocks. The offense has the advantage to start with, so this slider allows this advantage to be changed.

moonbax wrote:Tackling - certain tackling animations, maybe how many tackles are broken, etc.

I agree.

moonbax wrote:FG Length - could mean several things; some might theorize that it controls the power of the kicker, and some might theorize that it controls the AI's decision-making regarding going for longer field goals. However, I would suggest that it defines a boundary on the field that the defense becomes more aggressive about protecting. Who knows.

I agree with the boundary idea.

moonbax wrote:FG Accuracy - same as FG Len, could mean several things, but generally as this increases the likelihood of a kicker making a longer field goal will also increase.

Agreed.

moonbax wrote:Punt Len - this one is one of the only self explanatory ones, controls max/average punt distances.
Punt Acc - will impact how many Punts Inside 20 occur, and consequently starting field position.
Kickoff Len - self explanatory

Yeah.

moonbax wrote:Penalty Sliders: more information required to determine whether these affect only slow-sims, or also fast-sims. Does anyone notice a difference in fast-sim stats as penalty sliders are adjusted? My current guess is that these only affect slow-sims.

From what I've seen, they only affect slow-sims.

moonbax wrote:False St./Facemask/Clipping - increasing seems to increase penalties called, but these might also affect the decision-making of the AI, making the relationship very non-linear when it comes to penalty sliders.
Holding - higher values result in more holding calls.
Int Grounding - seems to affect when/how often a QB throws the ball away, and whether the ball is thrown near receivers (higher values) or not.
Offensive PI - might depend on other factors; I've seen this called once (I believe I've seen a receiver push-off animation).
Defensive PI - might control how aggressively the defense tries to bump receivers off their routes; it is unclear, but there is more PI called at higher values.
Roughing passer/kicker - tough to determine if increasing these actually increases amount of penalties, or it affects AI decision-making more.

I do agree with all of these.

moonbax wrote:Offense Catch Assist - help?
Defense Catch Assist - someone?

I know all about these haha. On offense if you are user controlling a WR for the catch after the ball is thrown, with the offensive catch assist set to 'on", the WR will attempt to catch the pass even if you don't press the 'catch' button when controlling him. If set to off, you MUST press the catch button in order to catch a pass while usering a WR.

Defensive pass assist affects the same thing, only swatting involved too. If you are controlling a defender when this is on and you don't press swat or catch, the defender you are controlling will still attempt to catch/swat with the help of the CPU. With it off, the defender will do nothing towards the ball unless you manually try to catch or swat.

moonbax wrote:Blocking Settings:

Auto Switch Back - ?
Blocking Slowdown - ?
Switch Slowdown - ?

Before the snap on offense, you can switch to whatever player you want and control them for the duration of the play. If you switch to a blocker pre-snap on a run play, these sliders affect your blocking.

With blocking slowdown on, while controlling a player on a run play that is NOT your ball carrier, the game will go into slow motion to make it easier for you to manually throw blocks for your ball carrier.

With Switch Slowdown, switching back to the ball carrier will be slowed down too so that you can take a second to see where you are actually going before resuming to normal game speed.

With Auto Switch back, the game will switch you back to your ball carrier after a certain amount of time of controlling a blocker.

Hope I could help!
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

moonbax
MVP

Re: List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Postby moonbax » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:37 pm

ycleped wrote:Hope I could help!

Yeah I'll say you did. Big ouch for me regarding the "Assist" settings; I had read from another source that it was the exact opposite, that with Assist on you HAD to press a button. Thanks for that and for all the other corrections. I simply cut and pasted everything you mentioned into the OP, and made sure the explanation was attributed to you.

EDIT

SO, does anyone know if the Run/Pass % slider actually does anything in slow-sims, if it's only for fast-sims, or if it controls both?

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:47 pm

moonbax wrote:
ycleped wrote:Hope I could help!

Yeah I'll say you did. Big ouch for me regarding the "Assist" settings; I had read from another source that it was the exact opposite, that with Assist on you HAD to press a button. Thanks for that and for all the other corrections. I simply cut and pasted everything you mentioned into the OP, and made sure the explanation was attributed to you.

EDIT

SO, does anyone know if the Run/Pass % slider actually does anything in slow-sims, if it's only for fast-sims, or if it controls both?

Pretty sure it definitely affects slow sims.
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:08 pm

So random weather OFF is better? That sounds great. I always had it on and the result was well random weather(yes I had snow in Miami once :) ).
So the Giants traded Beckham....

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:16 pm

mee wrote:So random weather OFF is better? That sounds great. I always had it on and the result was well random weather(yes I had snow in Miami once :) ).

I wish I knew for sure what was really going on with that setting. One possibility is that when Random Weather is on the weather is allowed to deviate more greatly (by one, two, even three standard deviations from the norm, if you follow Statistics lingo), whereas if Random Weather is off variation seems to be reduced to one or maybe two std. devs; however, I have no statistical data from the game with Random turned on and off that could back that up. It depends on the location as to what is best, because some locations were given very high "normal" wind speeds, like the 15 in Jacksonville that I mentioned; if Random Weather is on it might allow for more 0mph wind in those locations with high "normal" wind speeds. Hope that makes sense; I really can't get a clear sense of what that setting does.

However, I will say that it seems likely that fast-sims aren't using Random Weather, and might either be going strictly by the CITY table to produce the weather conditions in fast-sims, OR fast-sims might not even take place in an environment where weather variables are accounted for by the programming at all (seems likely to me).

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 pm

moonbax wrote:I wish I knew for sure what was really going on with that setting. One possibility is that when Random Weather is on the weather is allowed to deviate more greatly (by one, two, even three standard deviations from the norm, if you follow Statistics lingo), whereas if Random Weather is off variation seems to be reduced to one or maybe two std. devs; however, I have no statistical data from the game with Random turned on and off that could back that up. It depends on the location as to what is best, because some locations were given very high "normal" wind speeds, like the 15 in Jacksonville that I mentioned; if Random Weather is on it might allow for more 0mph wind in those locations with high "normal" wind speeds. Hope that makes sense; I really can't get a clear sense of what that setting does.

However, I will say that it seems likely that fast-sims aren't using Random Weather, and might either be going strictly by the CITY table to produce the weather conditions in fast-sims, OR fast-sims might not even take place in an environment where weather variables are accounted for by the programming at all (seems likely to me).

Well I do only playing(like fast-sims for these purposes).
And yes I follow the lingo. Pointless trig this year.
Sounds good. I'll have to test this in August
So the Giants traded Beckham....

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Updated the following:

Defensive Pass/Run Ratio - Controls which type of substitution packages are preferred and also influences defensive passing and rushing stats; high run defense results in better defensive rushing stats, while higher pass defense results in better defensive passing stats. Having this slider too far in either direction may result in overly effective defense in that area. Which nickel and dime packages are favored, like 2-4-5 or 3-2-6, as well as a preference for dime (run) vs quarter (pass), can be adjusted using this slider; see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18504#p80886. However, I can't confirm whether this affects slow-sims, fast-sims, or both.

Definitely invite others to try that out, because I'm seeing reproducible results. The preferred nickel package is very different at 50% than at other settings, with more 2-4-5 nickel being used by 3-4 teams.

EDIT

I was looking at a few of the default Coach Offensive Aggression values from Madden 08. This is the value that determines the "team philosophy", whether that team is a "Vertical" team or a "West Coast" team. But I never really added more about the impact of these "philosophies" on the AI's decision-making.

This is data obtained by BelieverInTeal that demonstrates that Yards Per Pass Attempt is inversely correlated with Offensive Aggression:

BelieverInTeal wrote:Here are my results:

Spoiler:

*Pass yardage does not include yards after the catch. I wanted to see whether a QB would choose deeper options more often than a shallow option.

What you see on the left was a game under 8 minute quarters. On the right was a game under 15 minute quarters. Can you guess which coaches had aggression at 21 and which at 79?

The answer is that Kubiak and Garrett were at 21. Kelly and Bellichick were at 79. This appears to corroborate with moonbax's results. It looks like higher aggression leads to more short passes

But I would propose that perhaps the biggest difference it makes is what kind of game situations are likely to result in shorter passes being used, and what situations are likely to result in longer passes; this isn't proven, but I would pay attention to the following while in-game:

"Offensive Aggression controls how likely short/long passes are used in a wider variety of game situations, 3rd and short, 3rd and long, etc.. Lower aggression ("Vertical Passing") might mean more deep passing in more situations (inc. 3rd and short), while higher aggression ("West Coast") might mean more running or short passing in more situations (3rd and long, etc.)."

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 am

Update

Right now I'm seeing the following:

Offensive Pass/Run% - Seems to impact fast-simmed games, which cmp66's recommendations would indicate. No idea to what extent this affects live games/slow-sims, but other users assert that it does. My thinking is the playbook PBAI tagging also has a lot to do with Pass/Run%, and this slider might affect the decisions made on a case-by-case basis in certain game situations (1st & 10, 3rd & short, etc.), rather than as a "standard" Pass/Run% overall.

Defensive Pass/Run% - My findings show clear evidence that it impacts live games/slow-sims. No idea about fast-simmed games.

Offensive Aggression - No clear evidence that this affects fast-sims, but I see a clear impact in live games/slow-sims.

Defensive Aggression - Same thing, no evidence of impact on fast-simmed games, but clear impact in live games/slow-sims.

Can anyone confirm any of that?

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:45 pm

moonbax wrote:Please contribute and discuss

Pass Blocking, Run Blocking, Break Block, Tackling, Holding, Pass Interference, Roughing sliders, etc. not only increase or decrease the players ability to do each task or be flagged for them, it also increases or decreases the number of related animations that get triggered. Setting Pass Blocking high for instance triggers far more sliding/skating/suction block animations. These are WAY less prevalent in Madden 08 than the more recent, and even current, Madden games, but it still happens.

This goes for penalty sliders too, such as holding; blockers actually maintain blocking animations longer with it set higher, regardless of whether the code triggers a flag on that specific play or not. Additionally the holding slider doesn't trigger more suction block animations, it only affects the time that blocks are held once initiated, obviously at the expense of increased holding penalties the higher it is set. So in effect this means that one could set Pass and Run Blocking lower to reduce suction block animations, but increase the Holding Slider to initiate a longer block once the blocking animation has already triggered. The result, especially on PS3/360 Madden games, is a much more natural looking pocket and running lanes, with fewer suction animations, but longer block engagement. The byproduct is a higher number of holding penalties which, depending on personal preferences, can either be annoying or far more realistic, depends on how you look at it.

So far I've modded Madden files for handheld, PS2, PS3, PS4, and PC and I can tell you TONS of the game code is recycled year after year, however what the sliders do in-game one year can change drastically the next; but much of it is based on the same code.

moonbax wrote:Offensive PI - might depend on other factors; I've seen this called once (I believe I've seen a receiver push-off animation).

I haven't tested these on Madden 08 yet, but in Madden 09-13 setting Off/Def Pass Interference to 1 significantly increases players aggressiveness in going after the ball, setting them to 100 makes all the players noticeably more timid in attacking the football on passes. Aggressiveness while the ball was in the air was a significant issue in the PS3/360 run of Madden games, but it is much, much less of an issue (imo) on Madden 08. I have no idea if this concept applies to the PC/PS2/Xbox generation of games or not, but hopefully my previous work in other Madden games can help someone in 08.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”