List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 pm

trey31 wrote:No clue, but modifying the .exe is against site rules (if I recall correctly?)

Yeah, I don't really want to touch the exe. Even if it wasn't against the rules. Just wanted to see how in earth the code works. But if is not possible, ok, I'll just keep experimenting with slider editing.

Anyway, you still have that work you did on the newer Maddens?. You know what kind of effect the penalty sliders have over the gameplay?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Re: List of Madden 08 Sliders and Settings, and What They Do (Current Best Guesses)

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
trey31 wrote:No clue, but modifying the .exe is against site rules (if I recall correctly?)

Yeah, I don't really want to touch the exe. Even if it wasn't against the rules. Just wanted to see how in earth the code works. But if is not possible, ok, I'll just keep experimenting with slider editing.

Anyway, you still have that work you did on the newer Maddens?. You know what kind of effect the penalty sliders have over the gameplay?

I used to post on Operation Sports. Madden 12 last-gen section. Most of the sliders stuff was in a Sliders thread in the Sliders section but they moved it a few years ago when it migrated to a different section of their forum. I don't have any of it on my PC though. And after switching to M08 on PC and testing earlier this year, I'm fairly certain probably about 85% of the effects on PS3 M12 are completely different in PC versions, including 08.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 pm

trey31 wrote:I used to post on Operation Sports. Madden 12 last-gen section. Most of the sliders stuff was in a Sliders thread in the Sliders section but they moved it a few years ago when it migrated to a different section of their forum. I don't have any of it on my PC though. And after switching to M08 on PC and testing earlier this year, I'm fairly certain probably about 85% of the effects on PS3 M12 are completely different in PC versions, including 08.

It might not be the correct one, but this looks pretty close to what you mentioned. https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comment ... h=f877fd1a

Even if the effects are different, thanks for the help. Even if they don't have the same effect as they have in Madden 12, I can still make something work out of this with experimentation.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am

jose21crisis wrote:
trey31 wrote:I used to post on Operation Sports. Madden 12 last-gen section. Most of the sliders stuff was in a Sliders thread in the Sliders section but they moved it a few years ago when it migrated to a different section of their forum. I don't have any of it on my PC though. And after switching to M08 on PC and testing earlier this year, I'm fairly certain probably about 85% of the effects on PS3 M12 are completely different in PC versions, including 08.

It might not be the correct one, but this looks pretty close to what you mentioned. https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comment ... h=f877fd1a

Even if the effects are different, thanks for the help. Even if they don't have the same effect as they have in Madden 12, I can still make something work out of this with experimentation.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-last-gen-sliders/658431-madden-12-2013-14-replace-m25-m13-new-slider-collection-current-rosters.html

A lot more details, about a variety of Madden 12 sliders, penalties, coach settings, and other stuff at that link.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

henshao
Pro Bowl

Postby henshao » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but IMO

Pass Lead (Sensitivity): When you throw the ball to a receiver, you can hold a direction to throw it high, throw it low, lead them or throw it behind them depending on the direction they are running and which direction you hold while the QB is throwing. I'm pretty sure this setting controls how significant the effect is. As a side note I'm sure most are aware but I'll mention it anyway, tab the button for a lob, hold the button for a bullet pass. Later on they named it "precision passing" but it was always there

Also, players accelerate way too quickly in Madden 08, I usually global edit player accelerations -70 then +30 for a net 40 reduction and 30 minimum of acceleration

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:11 pm

henshao wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but IMO

Pass Lead (Sensitivity): When you throw the ball to a receiver, you can hold a direction to throw it high, throw it low, lead them or throw it behind them depending on the direction they are running and which direction you hold while the QB is throwing. I'm pretty sure this setting controls how significant the effect is. As a side note I'm sure most are aware but I'll mention it anyway, tab the button for a lob, hold the button for a bullet pass. Later on they named it "precision passing" but it was always there

Also, players accelerate way too quickly in Madden 08, I usually global edit player accelerations -70 then +30 for a net 40 reduction and 30 minimum of acceleration

In general, players move too quickly in Madden. You can measure it and most receivers can run a sub-4.00 40 time when sprinting at full speed. Technically, you could fix this by lowering the RB Ability slider, but that would result in bad stuff happening, like lots of fumbles or no broken tackles. There is also globally lowering Speed so that people isn't too fast, but I'm not entirely a fan of that one.
Semper fi

henshao
Pro Bowl

Postby henshao » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Players are, generally, too fast, but they are far and away too quick. Even average guys turn 180 degrees and get up to their top speed almost instantly, it has over time lead to more and more out-of-whack gameplay. Safeties bite on play action but still get back deep in time, linebackers get off their block and actually beat the running back to the sideline, etc

Wonderboy205
Rookie

Postby Wonderboy205 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Question so does increasing D awareness make them more aware or does decreasing it make them more aware. For example would 99 make them hyper aware and 0 make them mouth breathers?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 pm

Wonderboy205 wrote:Question so does increasing D awareness make them more aware or does decreasing it make them more aware. For example would 99 make them hyper aware and 0 make them mouth breathers?

Increasing it makes them more aware.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm

I thought about creating a Sliders Compendium post, but might as well update this one with what I discovered.

AI Sliders
Offense
  • QB Accuracy: Affects the max throw distance for a passer (WR and HB can also pass in certain plays, not just QBs), the max accurate distance for a throw as well as the accuracy of any throw. It has an effect on receivers, at lower settings there will be more drops. Could also be an Awareness modifier.
  • Pass Blocking: Affects the blocking range, effectiveness against pass rushing moves and amount of successful impact blocks (Pancakes) when pass blocking. When this is too low, Right Tackles and RBs will miss a lot of blocks.
  • WR Catching: Affects the catch-to-drop ratio and alters some of the animations. At higher settings, there are more spectacular catch animations. Additionally, at higher settings, the ball trajectory is affected to favor the receiver. Additionally, defenders have an increased chance to get interceptions.
    RB Ability: Alters the Agility, Acceleration, Carrying, Break Tackle and Awareness while being a ball carrier of all players. At too low settings, CPU Ball Carriers won't execute jukes/spins/ball carrier moves.
    Run Blocking: Affects the blocking range, effectiveness against block sheds, effectiveness of turn blocks and amount of successful impact blocks (Pancakes) when run blocking. When this is too low, lead blockers lose their effectiveness and the O-Line is driven into the backfield on all plays.
Defense
  • Defensive Awareness: Alters the Awareness of all defensive players. At lower settings, cuts on routes are more effective, runs go for more yards since the defense reacts slower, and all kinds of deception are more effective, ranging from play action to counters, end arounds, reverses and so on.
  • Knockdowns: Alters the range of all defensive players to go for a knockdown and increases the chances for a defender to force knockouts during catches.
  • Interceptions: Alters, along with WR Catching, the ability for a defender to catch a pass that was not previously tipped. When this is too low (Think the all too common 1 setting that most sets use), DBs, LBs and DLs that get the ball thrown at them in the open field will drop the ball. This could also reduce the defender's pass coverage ability, but I can't confirm this.
  • Break Block: The direct counterpart for the Blocking sliders. Alters the effectiveness of pass rushing and block shedding moves, impact shed (Defender pancakes) and successful offensive impact blocks.
  • Tackling : Alters the success rate of hit stick tackles, strip ball tackles and the number of "Force Tackle" minigames (The one where you mash a button to tackle or break the tackle, or hope someone comes around to help). Could also alter some animations. Definitely alters the amount of successful possession catches (Catches while being tackled).

Special Teams
  • FG Length: Directly, alters the kick power of all players during FG tries. Indirectly, it alters offensive and defensive play calling due to the increased range kickers have.
  • FG Accuracy: Alters the kick accuracy and awareness of all players during FG tries. Awareness here is important, it is the consistency ratings. Low Awareness means more missed on poor weather.
  • Punt Length: Alters the kick power of all players during punts. This also includes kickers during the Punt Fake FG play, and QBs on the Quick Punt play. Indirectly, it also affects the number of punt returns.
  • Punt Accuracy: Alters the kick accuracy and awareness of all players during punts and possibly during kickoffs.
  • Kickoff Length: Alters the kick power of all players during kickoffs.

Penalty Sliders: Generally speaking, at higher settings the AI worries more about getting called for a penalty and is less aggressive.
  • False Start: At lower settings, the run game results in better gains at the cost of low False Start penalties. The O-Line gets a better push (Understandable) and lead blockers are a bit more effective (Not so understandable).
  • Holding: At higher values, the "Holding" animation gets called for holding, and "Phantom calls", as John Madden puts it, are far more common. This is compensated by the fact that blocks are held longer due to either better blocking or less attempts at a block shed.
  • Facemask: Undetermined as of this time. What I've found is that it alters the amount of facemask grasps, strip tackles and diving tackles that are called as Facemasking. The possible effects it could have is on tackles, but I haven't pinpointed exactly what. In the modern games, it increases the number of "Big Hits".
  • Clipping: Alters the hustle of linemen when looking for a block. Higher settings means more active linemen that create bigger holes. Clipping is not called too much even when this slider is set high.
  • Intentional Grounding: I've yet to find what this slider truly does. In theory, lower settings means that QBs will be more patient before taking off or throwing it away, while higher is the opposite. In practice, I don't think this always applies.
  • Roughing the Passer: Seems to impact the aggressiveness of the pass rushers, lower settings reduce it while higher settings increase it. More importantly, it alters how late a hit on the QB can be considered legal, which directly impacts QB injuries as well as DL/LB/DB injuries (Yes, rushers can get hurt after tackling the QB).
  • Roughing the Kicker: Impacts the aggressiveness of the defense during run plays, and maybe alters the pursuit angles. Lower settings means more aggressiveness in the run fits, resulting in less yards gained. Higher settings means a more passive approach, meaning more yards.
  • Offensive PI: Affects the catch radius and route running ability of all receivers. Higher means players get more open and are more likely to catch the ball. Lower means players won't get open as much and won't be as likely to catch the pass.
  • Defensive PI: Affects the knockdown radius and coverage ability of all defenders. Higher means players are more likely to get knockdowns or knockouts, Lower means players will play the receiver over the ball.
  • KR/PR Catch Interference: Affects the reaction of all defensive players. Higher means faster reactions to all kinds of plays, which results in more pass deflections (Especially by hyper athletic MLBs), but also more effective play action and deception. Lower means slower reactions (More reading), which results in less pass deflections, and less effective play action and deception.

Coach Strategy Sliders:
  • Offensive Pass/Run Ratio: On the Game Engine: Along with the playbook, Offensive Aggressiveness and game situation, alters the pass/run play call ratio and scheme for the offense. On the Sim Engine: Alters the pass/run play call ratio and scheme for the offense, although Player Weapons also have a say in the matter. It incorrectly also affects the defensive scheme.
  • Defensive Pass/Run Ratio: On the Game Engine: Along with the playbook, Defensive Aggressiveness and game situation, alters the subpackage use, coverage type and number of rushers for the defense. On the Sim Engine: No noticeable effect.
  • Offensive Aggression: On the Game Engine: Alters the offense's scheme, alters the type of pass play calls (Higher means shorter passes) as well as the use of challenges and audibles. On the Sim Engine: No noticeable effect.
  • Defensive Aggression: On the Game Engine: Alters the defense's scheme, alters the type of coverage, amount of rushers and subpackages used. On the Sim Engine: No noticeable effect.
  • RB1/RB2: On the Game Engine: No noticeable effect. On the Sim Engine: Affects the run splits between HB1 and FB1.

Other Settings
    • Sub OUT/IN: Players will take plays off when their energy reaches the amount set at "Sub OUT". They will come back onto the field when the energy reaches "Sub IN". You should be careful with this. All too common settings like 87/93 could result in WRs, HBs and DBs being unavailable for extended periods of time, like full quarters.
    • Pass Leading: Increases the sensitivity of the "Precision Passing" mechanic (In other words, pass leading). More Pass Leading means that a slight nudge of the stick will lead the pass a fair amount, lower means you need a bigger nudge to lead the pass a decent amount. This could affect passing accuracy.
Semper fi

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”