New Progression/Regression System

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
valvegas1
All-Pro

Postby valvegas1 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:38 pm

OK so I decided to go ahead and mod the progression and regression system for franchises

Installation - These are in CSV format and ready to be imported into the streameddata file with the db_editor. Once you have opened your streameddata, find and load the PWRA table, then import the PWRA_test file, then do the same for the PYRA_test file as well. Save your streameddata file and play game. It is very important when testing this to start a new franchise and do not change the default progression points in an editor and I am highly recommending not to use editors in the off seasons to revert rating changes or doing AMP's training camp ( not sure if they will cause screwy things to happen ). I haven't even tested this with calhoupes scripts yet but I doubt those will have any weird side effects

PWRA (progression)- I have zeroed out all the progression periods except end of preseason and end of regular season (this is why you shouldn't change the default progression points). I have also drastically reduced the amount of progression points given out at each point and optimized so that players gain more for the really important skills, a little for somewhat important skills and then nothing for skills that don't matter to there position. I have also optimized it so that younger players progress faster for playing great, veterans gain a little for playing great and old timers are forced to play great just to maintain what they have. On the flip side of this I have also made it so that old timers will regress very little for playing badly while veterans will regress a little and youngsters will regress much more. This makes it so once players reach the "Old Timer" stage they tend to just stay right where they are (aside from the wear and tear physical skill loss in the regression table) and veterans can gain or lose a little bit here and there but rookies are very dependent on good consistent play to improve quickly or at all. If those young players come in the league and have lots of injuries, don't play much or have terrible performance then you will see a big drop in there skill ratings but if they play really well you can also see some pretty good increases as well

PYRA (Regression) - When I made the changes to the regression table I planned to focus solely on setting it up to simulate the way players decline physically due to wear and tear on there bodies. better players do regress sooner since they see the field and get beat up much more than backups and third stringers. I have taken steps to make regression much more gradual over a longer period. The only exception I made was HB's who seem to have a tendency to lose there legs really fast in the NFL for some reason. I can name hundreds of examples of some of the best RB's ever having sudden and very large drop offs in production from there 8th - 12th seasons. Of course there are some exceptions but the vast majority seem to lose a ton of physical ability in that 4 years stretch. That also depends on injuries but unfortunately there is no way to base regression solely on the amount or type of injuries or to even factor that in.

db_editor Definitions - I am also updating the thread for the definitions file that goes in the db_editor with a newer version that includes all recent discoveries

Anyway hope I can get some people to test this out and give me some feedback on this. I am always open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

Also A huge thank you to Stingray68 for helping with discovering and understanding all the progression and regression stuff so far.
Attachments
Progression&Regression test.rar
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

valvegas1
All-Pro

Re: New Progression/Regression System

Postby valvegas1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:35 pm

So Far in my testing I have noticed some changes needed. Please don't use this if you are playing a serious franchise. I will have an update posted as soon as possible for round 2 of testing.

DarKommi
All-Pro

Postby DarKommi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am

valvegas1 wrote:So Far in my testing I have noticed some changes needed. Please don't use this if you are playing a serious franchise. I will have an update posted as soon as possible for round 2 of testing.

Ops, I have already insert, progression but not regression, while I was in the offseason of my 5th season franchise.
Is there a particular reason why we shouldn't use this?? I always wondered that someone will step up with something like this. Rogerjinx and I tried to change progression according to player season stats. And he managed to get it to work, while I was always in trouble with excel .csv files.. and I give up on that.

Something like this will be great addition for franchise. I'm glad you're working on it and I wish you all the best. Keep up good work.

quadsas
Rookie

Postby quadsas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 am

Gonna test this in franchise

valvegas1
All-Pro

Postby valvegas1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:01 pm

DarKommi wrote:
valvegas1 wrote:So Far in my testing I have noticed some changes needed. Please don't use this if you are playing a serious franchise. I will have an update posted as soon as possible for round 2 of testing.

Is there a particular reason why we shouldn't use this??

Well short answer is I am still running tests to get an idea of what the PLEV groups are. Everything else is pretty clear how it works. I am just trying to figure out how the PLEV field is broken down and what it's based on. Its no where near as straight forward as anyone would imagine. The whole progression system is actually very complex. Then I will be able to set up a concrete solid system that should drastically improve the way the game handles progression and regression. The regression table is safe to use and very stable to use but i have some data analysis to do to figure out a few things with the progression table then that will be stable to use as well.

valvegas1
All-Pro

Postby valvegas1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:07 pm

quadsas wrote:Gonna test this in franchise

Pay particular attention to who get what points and what the numbers in the PLPL column in the PLAY table is compared to what PLEV group they are in. If you could just compile that data for each progression point it would greatly help with my analysis and figuring out what changes are needed. Keep in mind that this is not an easy to understand system but if you can collect names, points gained or lost, PLPL value and PLPL value in a spreadsheet and share it with me that would be very helpful to my analysis. Please and Thank you sir.

quadsas
Rookie

Postby quadsas » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Gotta say as of right now, either this is not designed for default rosters with CMP's coach adjustments, or progression is simply way too slowed down. I mainly looked at the top performers of the league. The only consistent upgrade for players who had a good season was +1 stamina. League's MVP 26 year old Clinton Portis gained +1 stamina and that's IT, while two top rookies AP and Megatron gained NOTHING. In another test a ROY did get +2 AWR and +1 OVR, but it's just way, way too slow rn. Maybe try adding another Progression point with stiffer bad performance penalties, because I'd like to dynamic decrease of players throughout the season and random guys getting a shot.

I could get into more advanced observations, but I just didn't have time. I haven't progressed past Pro Bowl so I don't know much about regression etc., but there were basically no top players who lost any points, and one backup on my Seahawks lost an AWR and OVR point

quadsas
Rookie

Postby quadsas » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Wanted to add that Preseason progression looks pretty decent, noticed a lot more improvements to young backups than with default progression, although it seems like if rookies are far down on depth chart, and don't too much, they get penalized by 3awr points. Now I don't think that's bad, adds an element of micromanagement cause now it's beneficial to play preseason games if you want your rookies and other young talent to progress

valvegas1
All-Pro

Postby valvegas1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

quadsas wrote:Wanted to add that Preseason progression looks pretty decent, noticed a lot more improvements to young backups than with default progression, although it seems like if rookies are far down on depth chart, and don't too much, they get penalized by 3awr points. Now I don't think that's bad, adds an element of micromanagement cause now it's beneficial to play preseason games if you want your rookies and other young talent to progress

Yeah I am aware of the minimal progression for players playing well...I think I had the PLEV fields mixed up which is causing certain players that performed well to get little or nothing...Thank you for the info though...very helpful...I am working on an update for round 2 of testing

quadsas
Rookie

Postby quadsas » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:18 am

valvegas1 wrote:
quadsas wrote:Wanted to add that Preseason progression looks pretty decent, noticed a lot more improvements to young backups than with default progression, although it seems like if rookies are far down on depth chart, and don't too much, they get penalized by 3awr points. Now I don't think that's bad, adds an element of micromanagement cause now it's beneficial to play preseason games if you want your rookies and other young talent to progress

Yeah I am aware of the minimal progression for players playing well...I think I had the PLEV fields mixed up which is causing certain players that performed well to get little or nothing...Thank you for the info though...very helpful...I am working on an update for round 2 of testing

If I would know how to check all the stuff you want me too I would, and maybe do a bit of work on it myself. if you could just give a quick rundown that'd be great

Return to “Development”